Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 F1 Drivers Championship to be determined by points, not wins

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:36 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2009 F1 Drivers Championship to be determined by points, not wins

F1 teams say change in determining driver's championship by victories instead of points not valid under current governing regs, as changes this close to the season must have unanimous consent from teams

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73809

FIA responds "never mind"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73810

FIA says "Bernie told us it was OK"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73817
Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Wow.

This little saga (named Bernie) is so stupid it's just getting funny now...
Old 03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I guess we wont really know until the champion is named...
Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burners
I guess we wont really know until the champion is named...
No kidding. They'll probably figure out how to change it mid-season if things aren't going according to the FIA's (Ferrari's) plan.

All they need to do is give first place more points. They don't need something as radical as what they are proposing. Give first place 12 points instead of 10. What's keeping it so close is that there is only 2 points from first and second place. Giving 2 extra points for first place would've given the championship to Massa instead of Hamilton last season like the FIA wanted.

I don't think that they need to give any points for most laps led, but they should certainly consider giving a point for the pole position. That would be another way of gapping the top car from the rest of the field.

I was thinking about this whole points thing and realizing how pathetic the NASCAR points system is with the chase. Kyle Busch wins 8 races last season and was running away with the championship. He has two bad races into the last 10 races of the chase and has absolutely no chance of winning the championship. There is something very wrong with this. Same thing happened with Gordon the prior year. He deserved that championship and it was taken away from him because he didn't have luck in the last 10 races. What the chase is doing is rewarding luck over performance.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
No kidding. They'll probably figure out how to change it mid-season if things aren't going according to the FIA's (Ferrari's) plan.

All they need to do is give first place more points. They don't need something as radical as what they are proposing. Give first place 12 points instead of 10. What's keeping it so close is that there is only 2 points from first and second place. Giving 2 extra points for first place would've given the championship to Massa instead of Hamilton last season like the FIA wanted.

I don't think that they need to give any points for most laps led, but they should certainly consider giving a point for the pole position. That would be another way of gapping the top car from the rest of the field.
I was pissed when they went from 10.6.4.3.2.1 to 10.8.6.5.4.3.2.1. I agree with making first 12 points or if 1 for pole (good idea), make it 11.

I was thinking about this whole points thing and realizing how pathetic the NASCAR points system is with the chase. Kyle Busch wins 8 races last season and was running away with the championship. He has two bad races into the last 10 races of the chase and has absolutely no chance of winning the championship. There is something very wrong with this. Same thing happened with Gordon the prior year. He deserved that championship and it was taken away from him because he didn't have luck in the last 10 races. What the chase is doing is rewarding luck over performance.
The first season they did "The Chase" they claimed success by saying it was the closest championship ever! Duh! Well, how about 1/2 point for 1st, 15/32 point for second, 14/32 point for 3rd, and so on. Then it would be really, really close! Morons...

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 F1 Drivers Championship to be determined by points, not wins

Quick Reply: 2009 F1 Drivers Championship to be determined by points, not wins