Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly vs. Rubber Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 PM
QwickerRon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poly vs. Rubber Bushings

Is there noticeable difference in poly vs. rubber bushings on a C5 Z06 suspension on the track?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. You will reduce camber gain in the corners, you will retain your alignment better under braking, and your car will be easier to align and retest closer to your original settings since you no longer have squishy, sticky rubber.

Off track your wife will hate the car because it will squeak and make other sounds deemed nasty by the feminine ear; if you are lucky this will help you get that cage you always wanted since she won't want to be seen in the car anymore.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:55 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
Yes. You will reduce camber gain in the corners, you will retain your alignment better under braking, and your car will be easier to align and retest closer to your original settings since you no longer have squishy, sticky rubber.

Off track your wife will hate the car because it will squeak and make other sounds deemed nasty by the feminine ear; if you are lucky this will help you get that cage you always wanted since she won't want to be seen in the car anymore.
no more wiggle on the track coming out of the turns HOT!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Gotta agree there. Mine makes a metric sh!tload of racket now.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

To me the real plus is the camber settings. You don't have to run as much neg as you do with rubber. Or, if you like, you can run more and it will hold it better, if that's more your style.

The noise actually quieted down after about a year. I'm used to it now, and it's not a big deal. The ride is a bit rougher, but not much.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

the install is a pain, but with a press, a cut off wheel and some time, its not hard.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
the install is a pain, but with a press, a cut off wheel and some time, its not hard.
Took me about 12 hours to do all four control arms, four ball joints, and the tie rod ends.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:02 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
Took me about 12 hours to do all four control arms, four ball joints, and the tie rod ends.
?? were you doing it with a hammer and rocks? thats a LONG *** time. I got all 8 of my Control arms done in 4 hours. the ball joints I had no its you could replace, and dont the tie rod ends screw off?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:31 PM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does the noise come from ? We are talking about polyurethane bushings, so are we talking about them squeeking ? And if they squeek, can a shot of WD-40 here and there help or is that a no-no ?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
?? were you doing it with a hammer and rocks? thats a LONG *** time. I got all 8 of my Control arms done in 4 hours. the ball joints I had no its you could replace, and dont the tie rod ends screw off?
So you got the car up in the air, removed and reinstalled all (8) "A" arms along with the bushings in (4) hours.

That's gotta be some kind of record.

It took me two days (16) hours to remove the "A" arms, remove the stock springs, shocks, brakes,etc ...

I then installed the poly bushings,new upper and lower ball joints, Pfadt Coil Overs, Pfatty Sways, HD Tie Rod Ends and Wilwood 14" brakes all the way around.

The front spring was the biggest PIA of the job. I used a ball joint press to push out the bushings and ball joints. Moog & Spicer make replacement joints as does Pfadt.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajg1915
So you got the car up in the air, removed and reinstalled all (8) "A" arms along with the bushings in (4) hours.

That's gotta be some kind of record.
Well you should see him work. Can't tell what he's doing because he just looks like a blur. I'm sure it only took 20 minutes to do an alignment afterwards.

Sorry, just being a smartass.

I also don't see how you could do it in 4 hours though.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:57 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

I did one a-arm... And then took the others in to someone with a real press.

It took them eight hours to do all the rest of the bushings. It's a pain to do, but worth it, as they last forever and are really good for the car's handling.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Well you should see him work. Can't tell what he's doing because he just looks like a blur. I'm sure it only took 20 minutes to do an alignment afterwards.

Sorry, just being a smartass.

I also don't see how you could do it in 4 hours though.

I thought maybe he had found a better way, you never know. Use to be that you would have to pull the steering wheel to change the signal switch until someone figured a trick to get to the bottom torque screw.

BTW, the car went back together much easier with coilovers, than those damn springs. That saved me a couple of hours right there.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:21 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by klasik-69
What does the noise come from ? We are talking about polyurethane bushings, so are we talking about them squeeking ? And if they squeek, can a shot of WD-40 here and there help or is that a no-no ?
WD40 is very thin and will drain off the bushing and just make a mess.

Randy
Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've recently replaced my rear lower (C5) urethane bushings with monoballs and the noise disappeared. They are WAY more expensive than the urethane, but no need for lube and they eliminate all slop.
One thing that may work for lube on the urethane without removing the arm to get the proper grease in there is a good chain lube that you can find in a motorcycle shop.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:08 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Yeap

It will be a very noticeable difference and the car will handle different on the track. Take your time the first couple of sessions to get used to it.

It will be better on the track

Get notified of new replies

To Poly vs. Rubber Bushings

Quick Reply: Poly vs. Rubber Bushings