Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soft FE1 car worth build for autocross with out springs? how hard to change springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default soft FE1 car worth build for autocross with out springs? how hard to change springs?

Hi I posted this elsewhere on this site didn't get much help I'll try it here. I got a 93 Fe1 corvette.I understand these are set up very soft.I did plan to replace swaybars with 32mm front 26mm rear and also replace all shocks with qa1's single damping type. This is a street car, I plan some autocrossing maybe a little drag racing. I'm wondering if doing this with stock spings is wasting money,springs just too soft? I'm looking at VB&P's sport suspension kit it comes with sport springs,bisteen shocks,1.25" front swaybar,a peice to improve rear camber and a few other peices. It's a good price now if I order before month is up. I worry maybe changing springs is too hard. One thing I don't have spring compressor repair manual shows. also don't have extra help it says is needed to push lower control arm down while pulling spring out. How about it do you think doing this with out springs is wize or how many have changed springs by themselfs? Any tips on how to? Thanks Tim
Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I've been running the soft springs for 10years now

Do you have the 8.5f 9.5r wheels on it?

What class do you want to run in?

I wouldn't run the 32 up front for autoxing
Old 03-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Springs are not hard to change at all on these cars. They are monoleaf transverse mount springs so a compressor tool will not be needed. I have pretty stiff springs and like it, but like Brian I know people who do very well with the softer springs. You should be ok either way.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have the ZR1 wheels 9.5" wide all the way around. I need these because I'm also doing the c5 front brake upgrade. Not sure on tires yet going to be either 285/40zr17's or 275/40zr17's on all four. I have some of each of these and what ever size I can find used to make a complete set,will be the size I use. So You have changed front springs without a spring compressor? The manual shows one, I thought maybe to pull the spring ends out of the end pockets.But I'm not sure about that. The suspension kit is kind of expensive I might just try the swaybars and shocks for now.It's just that if I'm going to do springs later it's cheaper buying the whole kit while it's on sale. Thanks Tim
Old 03-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

No I did not use a compressor. I have no idea what one would do for these cars. All you have to do is; disconnect the spindle in the front from the lower ball joint, unbolt the shock and sway bar, remove the retainers under the spring and slide the spring out one way or the other. The rear just unbolts from each knuckle and then unbolts in the middle from the differential. Its pretty simple IMO.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I don't have a C4 anymore, but I do have a C5 with FE1. I kept the stock spring and replaced the sway bars and shocks. The car really handles well.

Get notified of new replies

To soft FE1 car worth build for autocross with out springs? how hard to change springs?

Quick Reply: soft FE1 car worth build for autocross with out springs? how hard to change springs?