Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get tires mounted and balanced in GA

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get tires mounted and balanced in GA

Somebody hook me up here.

Butler does the true high speed on car, but they want $120 for 4.

Kauffman only spins and says good to 75mph and want $25 per tire.

NBT wants $60, but they too only spin off car.

Tiresplus is right next door to me, but I get tired of going back because they are incompetent and need to put weights on outside of wheel to get it right.

Ken . . .
Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Race rubber or street tires?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I using browning next to road atlanta. stick ons and they'll HVAC tape 'em for you to.

I don't put much effort into doing race tires, once when new, maybe again 1/2 through they're life (if they get bad). it's hard to keep them balanced, as much rubber as you rip off of them.

I've found it's not so much the facility/place of business, as it is the actual tech you are dealing with.

I do know that a tire machine is rapidly moving up the list for the shop...
Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

I'm trying to get some PS2's mounted for the drive up and in case we catch a rain day. Then I have another full set of rims where I just corded my V710's, so I'm looking for a good set of used v710 / RA6 / R6 race tires for those. And of course those will need to be done over and over. Or maybe not, so let me ask --

If I broke down and spent the 1k on a new set of 275/40/17 V710's how many Chin double day events would I make it through before cording them? This year I will probably do Road Atlanta 2 times, Roebling in Nov, Barber once, CMP once.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
I'm trying to get some PS2's mounted for the drive up and in case we catch a rain day. Then I have another full set of rims where I just corded my V710's, so I'm looking for a good set of used v710 / RA6 / R6 race tires for those. And of course those will need to be done over and over. Or maybe not, so let me ask --

If I broke down and spent the 1k on a new set of 275/40/17 V710's how many Chin double day events would I make it through before cording them? This year I will probably do Road Atlanta 2 times, Roebling in Nov, Barber once, CMP once.
Most racers think about tire wear in terms of heat cycles, a heat cycle being a session on the track. As you heat and cool the tires they start to slow down. they still have plenty of "treadlife" but are slower then new tires.Running in HPDE you should be able to get 20 heat cycles out of a set of tires....easily. Obviously if you flat spot or cord one, that tire is toast. Also......unless you throw a weigh, or hit something you shouldn't need to rebalance the tires.
Something to consider. When I raced T1, I would buy a new set of Kumho for every national event. When they remounted the new tires, I left the old ones there...most times they only had 5-6 heat cycles on them. Some guys from the local corvette clubs would come up and pick them up. Lots of time they would actually bring the wheels to the track and have them mounted and spun right there.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 PM
O.T.A.
Instructor

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
Somebody hook me up here.

Butler does the true high speed on car, but they want $120 for 4.

Kauffman only spins and says good to 75mph and want $25 per tire.

NBT wants $60, but they too only spin off car.

Tiresplus is right next door to me, but I get tired of going back because they are incompetent and need to put weights on outside of wheel to get it right.

Ken . . .
Only one place to go...Gran Turismo East. There are times to save money and times to spend what it takes to get it done right.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Ken,
Go to Discount Tires at Discover Mills. They have done a lot of work for me and have never been less than perfect. Doug is the manager there. Talk to him and let him know your expectations just to be sure, (although not necessary) and you will be taken care of, and save a lot of $$$$.

When I got my iforged wheels 3 and a half years ago, I went to butler too. They charged me full price for dismount and mount, as if I had 2 sets of tires! Swapping tires from one set of wheels to another, and an alignment cost me $400!!!!!! Never again.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by O.T.A.
Only one place to go...Gran Turismo East. There are times to save money and times to spend what it takes to get it done right.
They are actually on my way home. I'll call them.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
gpm30236
Racer

Originally Posted by O.T.A.

Those guys do a good job also very good for track alignment..

For those on the southside i use a shop in Griffin , Mr NOBODY, they have done a gr8 job quick and reasonable no vibration issues. also make sure that the shop you use is experienced with race tires, you should not use as much pressure to seat the bead.

I also agree with Bob on a new set for every national event. am building up quite a stack of 275 35 18 tires.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Spoke with the GranTourismo guys. Very cool speaking with them as they know what they are talking about. Still pricey at $25 per wheel. They actually broke it down for me

$12 Mount
$8 Balance
$3 disposal to throw old rubber away
$2 new stems

And that is just the spin balance, another almost $40 for the high speed on car balance.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:01 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

25 per wheel is not expensive at all, especially for a shop that knows what they are doing.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to get tires mounted and balanced in GA

Quick Reply: Where to get tires mounted and balanced in GA