Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gto / vir

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gto / vir

Why did we not see many GTO's out at the track ? Seems like they would have made a "ok" track car.... Ya see just about everything else out there but I only recall seeing 1 out there.....

Just wondering
Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I've seen a couple of GTOs at Watkins Glen - they performed well. I think they would make a fun track car. I think I've only seen one at VIR over the past two years - none at Summit Point.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

First of all, they didn't make that many so they are a bit rare. Second, they are an ok track car. A Corvette is much better. I have an 04 GTO and for the track it is under equipped in the brake department, under sprung and in desperate need of a harness bar. It is a bit on the heavy side and you can't get very wide tires on it. I love the car but it needs a lot of help on the track.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I would never compare a GTO to a Corvette - maybe a Mustang GT. The two I saw were modified (engine, brakes and suspension) - the owners were having a good time. Heck, that's all that matters. Definitely no competition for a Corvette.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Well, we do have a very nice harness bar for it. It is not a huge seller, but it is obvious that some people do track them.

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=62
Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

cool maybe it is the demographics it was marketed to .... I see a lot of them on the 1/4 mile saw one cheep around here and just though hummm a D/D and light duty track car.... Never could it compete with my Z06 but still may be fun to learn a new car...
Old 03-27-2009, 01:54 AM
r0nd3L
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm taking mine to Autobahn in Joliet, IL following weekend for first track day, can't wait

Going to put KW V3 coilovers and 17x9.5" OEM C5 Z06 wheels to work finally.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I see them occasionally on track - here in the SE we have one that runs TTA - he normally finishes after the top running Vettes but ahead of some of the others. My wife has an 05 GTO and she loves it. I have tracked it twice - what a hoot. It is heavy, it does not have enough tire, it does not have enough spring and it needs aftermarket brake pads - but the grin factor is definitely there.

How are you going to bolt on C5 wheels? The GTO has a BMW lug pattern.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The BMW lug pattern and the Vette are the same (if not nearly so). 5 on 4 3/4 or the metric 5 on 120.65mm some quote 120mm. That 0.65mm is only a .025 inch difference that is well within the tolerance stack-up for the hub, lugs, wheels and wear from usage.

It's cool to see some GTO's in circulation. Like I said, they only build about 14,000 a year for 3 years so they aren't very common.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:31 PM
r0nd3L
Instructor

For front I have custom adapters on the way from Skulte that will convert the bolt pattern and be hub centric. They're 20mm so it will bring offset down to 34mm, which will be perfect and have room to dial in some negative camber.

For the rear, I'm just going to bolt the wheels using a hub-centric ring to take slack from 69.6mm to 70.3mm. 54mm Z06 offset is spot on for the back of GTO. Like burners said, the bolt pattern difference is minimal.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

some former crew members of mine worked on Stu Hayners GTO World Challenge team, and they had an AWEFULL time getting the rear suspension to perform at all competitively. They ultimately imported the Holden rear setup from Australia.

I personally like the GTO, but it was basically a Camaro/Trans Am replacement, and I think it's track performance is pretty much on par with the previous gen F-body.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:42 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That looks pretty tough! I like that a lot but I would be concerned about fender rubbing. Without some stiff springs I think body roll will make contact with the tire. That's why I'm working on an improved front suspension for my GTO that will have more (well, actually have) neg. camber gain with body roll. That and I need to make some fender flares.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
some former crew members of mine worked on Stu Hayners GTO World Challenge team, and they had an AWEFULL time getting the rear suspension to perform at all competitively. They ultimately imported the Holden rear setup from Australia.

I personally like the GTO, but it was basically a Camaro/Trans Am replacement, and I think it's track performance is pretty much on par with the previous gen F-body.
I'm curious as to what they imported. The Holden is identical. If they brought over some Harrop pieces or Pedders (all aftermarket stuff from Australia) or even parts from the V8 Supercars then that makes sense to me.

In one sense I disagree that the GTO is an F-body replacement because it makes a much better family car. I directly compared the two and the GTO is much better. As for the track, well, yes I agree.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:26 PM
r0nd3L
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

I'm not planning on being competitive, just something fun for HPDE and Autoxes. Stock suspension was pretty crappy, but now with 515LBs springs it feels better. Although, I have a feeling it could use some more but I'll decide on that after the track day.

One of the members here, flink, set his up for track pretty good. -4* front camber, -2.8* rear camber using eccentric bushings, KW V3 coilovers, and NT01s. He seems to run pretty good on tracks out west

Originally Posted by burners
That looks pretty tough! I like that a lot but I would be concerned about fender rubbing. Without some stiff springs I think body roll will make contact with the tire. That's why I'm working on an improved front suspension for my GTO that will have more (well, actually have) neg. camber gain with body roll. That and I need to make some fender flares.
Thanks!

It actually clears the fender somewhat, but I suppose it could still rub when wheel is turned. I drove around for couple days to test and it hasn't rub, so I think it'll be fine, though.

What are your plans for improving the suspension?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I'm working on a design for an a-arm front suspension with coil-overs. It should make for much more adjustability and better roll centers. One of the few things about the suspension on the GTO that I wasn't happy about was the macpherson struts.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:49 PM
r0nd3L
Instructor

Originally Posted by burners
I'm working on a design for an a-arm front suspension with coil-overs. It should make for much more adjustability and better roll centers. One of the few things about the suspension on the GTO that I wasn't happy about was the macpherson struts.
Wow, nice! Please keep me updated on that. I'm sure a lot of people on GTO forum would like to see that done. flink always complains how he hates McPherson haha.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:11 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by r0nd3L
For front I have custom adapters on the way from Skulte that will convert the bolt pattern and be hub centric. They're 20mm so it will bring offset down to 34mm, which will be perfect and have room to dial in some negative camber.

For the rear, I'm just going to bolt the wheels using a hub-centric ring to take slack from 69.6mm to 70.3mm. 54mm Z06 offset is spot on for the back of GTO. Like burners said, the bolt pattern difference is minimal.

Where can I get the spacers/adapters? I have a bunch of GS 17x 9.5 and C5 17 inch wheels I hardly ever use. What size tires are you running to clear front and rear?

Peddars imports/makes a rear bushing kit that is supposed to really help out.

Get notified of new replies

To Gto / vir

Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 PM
r0nd3L
Instructor

Originally Posted by varkwso
Where can I get the spacers/adapters? I have a bunch of GS 17x 9.5 and C5 17 inch wheels I hardly ever use. What size tires are you running to clear front and rear?

Peddars imports/makes a rear bushing kit that is supposed to really help out.
You can get them from Skulte or Motorsport Technology.

I'm only running RE01r 255/40 tire, but it seems perfect size for 9.5" wheel. I was planning on running 275/40, but I couldn't pass up the prices on RE-01r...
Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of grip, I would be more worried about the brakes. I took a student's car out for 2 laps @ VIR, the brakes were definitely roasted at that point. Car leaned a lot, but it still feels okay.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
r0nd3L
Instructor

Originally Posted by tmak26b
Instead of grip, I would be more worried about the brakes. I took a student's car out for 2 laps @ VIR, the brakes were definitely roasted at that point. Car leaned a lot, but it still feels okay.
Did it have stock pads? I'm upgrading to larger 05-06 calipers and rotors and I bought some EBC Yellowstuff pads. I know those pads aren't one of those hardcore track pads, but for a beginner like me should be fine.

Quick Reply: Gto / vir