Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Sport Shock or Pfadt ajustable shocks which is better

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:17 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LG Sport Shock or Pfadt ajustable shocks which is better

If anyone is using the LG Sport Shocks I would be interested in you thoughts. I am considering these or the adjustabble Pfadt's.

I would also be open to any other options.

The coil overs are to much for me this year. I understand you can convert the LG's to Coil overs later which is an advantage at least on paper. If anyone has done this I would like to hear how it worked and what it cost.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:43 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

I think there have been many threads on this but...

I have no personal experience with the LG shocks, so I am biased. I purchased a set of Pfadt sport shocks last year, and loved them. Had ZERO issues with them, was fast at the track with them, and they were adjustable enough to be comfortable on the street even with the bigger sway bars. The customer service is excellent with Pfadt, they are a great group of people.

I've received several phone calls from fellow racers in my NCCC region who were on the fence on whether to upgrade or not. Now, there are at least two or three cars in our region equipped with Pfadt shocks and sway bars. Sure wish I still had my '02 Z...

Needless to say, when I purchase a C6 Z this year, it's sure to be one Pfadt ride.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:03 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Go with the Pfadt shocks. You really need the adjustability. It's easy to do. Just turn the front wheels and turn the ****. The backs are easy too.

Steve
Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by rjung
If anyone is using the LG Sport Shocks I would be interested in you thoughts. I am considering these or the adjustabble Pfadt's.

I would also be open to any other options.

The coil overs are to much for me this year. I understand you can convert the LG's to Coil overs later which is an advantage at least on paper. If anyone has done this I would like to hear how it worked and what it cost.

Hi,

GIve us a call and we can figure out something for you. We can help you get what you need.

Thanks

Lou G

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 03-28-2009, 08:35 PM
muskaroxs
Instructor

Do both of these set-ups lower the car? I have a steep driveway and I barely make it up with stock suspension. I can't modify the driveway because I live in a apartment building .
thx
Old 03-29-2009, 04:37 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by muskaroxs
Do both of these set-ups lower the car? I have a steep driveway and I barely make it up with stock suspension. I can't modify the driveway because I live in a apartment building .
thx
They shouldn't lower the car at all. It's the springs that hold up the car.

Steve
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The Pfadt's have about the same gas pressure as the OEM shocks, so there should be no noticeable lowering of the car. That's something that I verified with Josh and Aaron at Pfadt Racing before installing a set on my '08 Z51 recently.

My front spoiler doesn't seem to scrape a low point in my driveway 'quite' as badly as it did with the stock shocks. That's not to say that the Pfadt's raised the static ride height, but they certainly didn't lower it.

FYI - my car was lowered about 3/4" on the stock bolts during corner-balancing & alignment (by the esteemed Mr. David Farmer) last year. You can see the level of lowering and rake in my sig picture below (it was on stock shocks then).

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 03-30-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:05 AM
hamdog
Racer

I just installed the Pfadt Sport shocks a week ago on my '98 coupe so I'll share my experience. I've now had a chance to drive the car on the streets of Wash/DC, on the highway and at Summit Point. I've been able to play with the settings both on the street and at the track. Overall I'm very pleased with the shocks. The difference is night and day. Here is what I've learned so far.

Street
Since I use my car mostly at the track, I started with the recommended 10/10 (front/back) track use settings (change of settings is done by a round **** on the bottom of each shock without the use of any tools. 10/10 for ease of use). Within a few miles of driving the car I could notice the difference. Most of the body roll during cornering and braking was gone. The steering felt much tighter and corning in general was so much tighter and more confident. It really felt like a new car.
The downside was that the ride quality was a little harsh over bumps and uneven pavements. I turned the setting down to 6/6 per Pfadt street use recommendation. Although it felt better it was still too firm for city streets. I've now got it down to 4/4 for the streets and it feels good.

Highway
10/10 setting felt great on the ramps and the highways. There is definitely more grip and less dancing around of the tail. Overall driving enjoyment has improved 100%.

Track
I had taken my car to Summit twice last year with the OEM suspension. Although the car was relatively balanced, it was a bit unnerving at its limits. The esses were always a challenge as the change of direction had to be done carefully not to upset the balance. Also, trail braking was a bit of a challenge do to the huge nose dives and wagging of the tail under heavy braking.
There were big improvements in both of these areas. There was also so much more grip under heavy loads at the limits thanks to the stiffer settings. I started off with 6/6 settings and worked my way up to 12/12 by the 4th session. To be perfectly honest, I didn't notice too much of a difference in the feel and stiffness from session 1 to 4. It could have been because I was pushing the car much harder by the last session; therefore the stiffer settings were necessary to give me the feel of the softer settings earlier in the day.

Conclusion
Coming from the factory shocks, I can't even begin to tell you the difference in the upgrade. I strongly recommend these shocks. They are well built, easy to use and install, cost less than the competitors, and perform extremely well.

Good luck with the purchase!

PS
When you are ready, talk to Mike at East Coast Supercharging. http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/
They sell most of the Pfadt products, they are friendly and professional.

Last edited by hamdog; 03-30-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Great review, Hamdog.

You told me that the Pfadt's replaced some very worn-out OEM shocks on your car, but it's certainly good to hear that they are working out as well as expected.

I can't wait to give mine a proper workout (at least for autocross) in the next few weeks, and on-track at VIR as soon as po$$ible.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone for the information. I thought having an adjustable shock would have its benefits.

There is so much to adjust from the shocks, sway bars, ride height, tire pressure, and allignment set up. Is there a refference guide or web site that helps explain what effect all the different adjustments will have on how the car will hand.

My son's gokart was mind bogling enough and that was mostly allignment, weight distribution, and tire pressure.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

You can get Penkes for the same about of money

Just a thought
Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

On the fence...subscribing now.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham

Just a thought

I thought Penskes ran about 3k for the least expensive?

Just asking.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
hamdog
Racer

Just a thought
Where can I get Penske adjustable shocks for $800 all the way around? I'll buy a few sets
Old 03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Brian is a little off. http://www.hardbarusa.com/ has the Penske 8200LE, which is $550 each, or $2200 for the set. Without coil springs. I'm not sure if they're non-adjustable or single-adjustable...
Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by froggy47
I thought Penskes ran about 3k for the least expensive?

Just asking.
$550 a corner

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=122

The Penske 8200 LE is a brand new shock system that uses all of the superb first class Penske 8700 3 way shock with a new internal separator piston to provide a low cost option. Hardbar and Leading Edge worked with Penske to offer this exclusive option. Now you can have the very best and upgrade as your needs and budget permit. This is an upgradeable system that has the capability of being easily converted to the 8300 2 speed or 8700 3 speed at a later time, by removing the separator piston and adding the hoses and canisters. All of the internal parts, and all of the best in class Hardbar mounts including the 17-4 PH "T" bar, the upper clevis mounts, and the adjustable rear lower clevis (shown in red anodized finish) are the same as the 8700 series. This shock has the best spring adjuster available on Acme threads as well. These are priced each and springs are optional as well. Suitable for leaf or coil-over applications. These are $550 each plus springs (if desired). As with all Hardbar products, they are 100% made in USA and each one is individually dyno'ed and you get the data files.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
hamdog
Racer

Penske's and Motons are in a league of their own in performance and price. If you have the money and the talent, there is no other way to go. But at $200/corner, the Pfadts are untouchable IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Sport Shock or Pfadt ajustable shocks which is better

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Not to knock Penske, I'd like to try them maybe next season,

but

90% of the guys I know who use them are chasing oil or gas leaks.

For the price you would think that would not be the case.

Edit starts here.

I do not have specifics on the shocks my autox friends have leak issues with, and I am NOT bashing what is probably one of the top shocks around. Maybe I should not have posted, since I don't have firsthand info. I may have them on my car next year. It may be that later seals/upgrades have fixed issues.

It's just that I have run oem 2 sets, koni, pfadt, and QA1 since I started autox (7th season now) and NEVER had a fluid or gas leak.

That's first hand.

Last edited by froggy47; 03-30-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Add info for clarification
Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Who rebuilt them?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

We have not had a single case of leaks in the past 2 years. There are at least 3 reasons for this. First, we use synthetic oil, second the seals are now very different than what was used years ago, and we mount them correctly with proper clevis mounts with Aroura bearings that eliminate side loads on the shaft and seals. The pin top style can and does put side loads on shock, especially on the rear on C5 and C6's.
I bought a set of 8100's used off of this forum a few years ago and the separator seals were leaking. How did I know? I hit the schrader valve and oil came out. These were old and had the old style seals. The 8100's did have some of these issues for sure. They need to be rebuilt with the more modern seals and it won't happen. The interesting thing, is we see alot of shocks with internal leaks, you just don't know it until you dyno them because there is no valve. We have seen this on most any brand that you care to mention. I guess, ignorance is bliss.

Originally Posted by froggy47
Not to knock Penske, I'd like to try them maybe next season,

but

90% of the guys I know who use them are chasing oil or gas leaks.

For the price you would think that would not be the case.

Quick Reply: LG Sport Shock or Pfadt ajustable shocks which is better