Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump replace yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:11 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default oil pump replace yes/no?

I'm replacing my steering rack currently so access to the oil pump is there. I'm thinking about replacing it, but I am thinking it is unecessary. Car is a '99 with 30k. Stock motor. It has always had low oil pressure relative to other cars I"ve driven. Low 20's at hot idle and about 30 cruise. I've added an oil cooler on the right side of my radiator and an accusump prior to getting it on track all plumbed with -10. That only reduced pressure a couple psi. As it sits with m1 15-50 at hot idle its about 19-20psi. On the track running the car hard I see a consistant mid 30's pressure. Never noticed any loss of pressure. It's just that I never have seen it go much above mid-high 30's. at any rpm or load. That leads me to believe that as long as I have some pressure and oil circulating there is no need to worry. In addition, I am thinking that increasing the pressure will just pump the heads full of more oil and without drain improvements may be a worse scenario. Any knowledgable opinions/suggestions?
thanks,
-V

Quick Reply: oil pump replace yes/no?