Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Track Day in the Vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default First Track Day in the Vette

So finally, six months after getting my baby, finally got to get it out on a track. Car details in the sig. I added some Hawk HT-10s for the day. Eagles Canyon had an open track day, just doing it themselves, not having any organization running it. I must admit, I think they were not the most organized, though I DID have a good time, and they certainly put some effort into it.

A very minimal drivers meeting, just the basic rules. No discription of the basic lines, nada. Four run groups, I was in blue. The red group was the instructors. Only two Vettes there (the other a bone stock '01), but 36 total cars, all sorts of stuff, including a couple Ferraris, a Gallardo, a couple AMGs, a few M3s, selection of 911 types, etc.

They decided to put blue and green together for the first run, yet they didn't have enough instructors to ride with everyone. Three of the beginners were these very young Asian guys, all with VERY fast cars (the Gallardo, an AMG 63, and something else). They didn't have anyone riding with them. As you'd fear, they were completely out of control. The guy with the AMG passed me early while I was taking it easy, and he spun out or drove off, gosh, I lost count how many times. A complete idiot. Their next time out, the instructors drove their cars. Then they left, I guess no fun for them.

First session, just trying to learn the track, it was dusty, which made it slick in places. A very up and down place, 80 feet of elevation change, kind of on a hilltop with culverts running off they'd run you into, some blind corners, lots of atypical corners to think through. Hitting 120-125 on the longest straight, uphill. When back at the grid, I checked everything out, no issues at all.

The second session, just blue, only about ten of us on a 2.5 mile track, so rarely were folks passing, you got to go full boogy pretty much the entire time. This time I had a Porsche Cup guy riding along, and he was walking me through his preferred line. I liked it! This time I got to work the car up more on its limits, though I was having a BEAR of a time gauging when to hit the brakes on the 4 or 5 long straights. The dang car stops SO quickly! I'd either brake hard a smidge too early, then go "oh" and coast a bit to get to the corner , or hit it skoash late, and screw up the entry, coming in too hot and trail braking. One thing (among many) to work on.

Third time out, same instructor, just working on getting smoother, finally remembering most of the basic details. I don't know if I had a single lap that was more than 80% correct on entries/exits/shift points/braking points, but getting better. He was good about helping me stay calm and focused. The highlight for me, there was a guy there with a Mustang he'd trailered in. Fairly new Cobra, blown, racing suspension, roll cage, racing seats, harnesses, nice paint job with stripes and numbers. Seriously nasty, and I'd bet $100K in it. He passed me on maybe the second lap, but then I was on his butt the entire rest of the time. He never could lose me. And he tried. The last two laps he started losing it, getting a tire off here and there, losing control here and there,trying to push it too much. And I was having to work my stock runflats that were now quite warm and slippery, on my pretty much basic stock base beast. But I had a VETTE! He was not happy back at the grid, oh no.

Oh sure, if he'd have had a real driver in that thing (or some R skins), he'd have run off and left me. But then if my Vette had had a real driver, it would have been a lot more interesting as well. I am just amazed how well this car handles, how consistently predictable it is. The combo of Bilstein Sports and Z-51 sways worked great. Any little screwups were easy to catch and correct. I just really need to work on the weak link of the moment, and that'd be me. But I'll get better!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you had fun and no issues with your car. Corvettes are the most amazing cars.

It sounds like the track either needs to have an outside group run the event, or figure out how to do it correctly. Turning new drivers out with fast cars is just asking for problems. I don't care if a guy puts his car into a tire wall, but I do care about him collecting other drivers. If he manages to hurt or kill himself or someone else, that will affect everyone who wants to track their cars.

I did attend a Drivers Edge event at that track. Well run and had a blast.

Stay safe

Last edited by johninar; 04-05-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:42 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the addiction !! Glad that you had a fun time. Work on driving ability before you start modding the car or adding R compopund tires. Seat Time - Seat time - Seat Time is the way to improve and get faster.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Excellent!

For braking, pick a marker like a tree, dirt spot, rock, or some tracks have numbers out. Brake at that spot each time, and you can slowly pick new spots to brake closer to the corner. Also have a spot for your turn in point.

I'm surprised they didn't throw the guys out that drove so badly.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 AM
zeeohsix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only true way to really enjoy a vette is on the track. It loves running at 6000 rpm all day long! I also enjoy running with vipers and 997's. When they start getting sloppy, you know they are driving with their rear view mirror...and worrying. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:04 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah, the car doesn't need further handling improvements until I get a lot more consistent with it. Even something as basic as max braking without tripping the ABS, need some consistency.

Though I will put some better tires on when these wear out.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:11 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Enjoyed the write up. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

Later,
Old 04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by zeeohsix
The only true way to really enjoy a vette is on the track.

that is for DAMN sure!!!
street driving etc... just does not compare!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Woo-Hoo!!!

Sounds like you had a great time!! Thanks for the report.

Bob
Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up. I recommend looking into one of the more organized driving groups that uses ECR. There are several, so should not be hard. There are always some folks in fast cars (often corvettes, I play no favorites) that will overdrive at such events.

Hopefully, there would be instructors brave enough to climb in the passenger seat, even though Fast and Furious is playing on the DVD...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Fun ain't it?

Glad to see another Corvette out there doing what it was meant to do.

Get notified of new replies

To First Track Day in the Vette

Quick Reply: First Track Day in the Vette