Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top 5 Engine Shops

Old 04-05-2009, 11:23 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Top 5 Engine Shops

Hey guys I'm looking for the top 5 engine shops in the country for engine work and installations. Any suggestions appreciated

Preferably reasonable prices

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-05-2009, 12:28 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you talked to http://www.rebelloracing.com/ ? They're effectively local to you and they build all sorts of motors.

And does LG use CRD for their race motors?

Bob Cronin - CRD Engine Development
238 Highway 49 South
Concord, NC 28081
Phone: 704-792-1955

And DRM is always building hot motors...

And I think "top 5 engine builders" completely negates "reasonable prices." :-)
Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
And I think "top 5 engine builders" completely negates "reasonable prices." :-)
If it's cheap and fast, it ain't reliable...
If it's cheap and reliable, it ain't fast...
If it's fast and reliable, it ain't cheap!!!

I know I was absolutely no help with that, but I wanted to post anyway
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Um....................Katech
Old 04-05-2009, 02:59 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Doug Rippie
Katech
Old 04-05-2009, 03:01 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

a few more:

H & K Racing Engines - Houston Tx
http://hkracingengines.com/

for "reasonable prices" look here
Schwanke Engines - Springfield, MN
http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/

CC Performance - Portland OR
http://www.ccperformanceparts.com/

( they are a distributor for H & K Racing Engines )

Hendrick Motor Sports

Last edited by AU N EGL; 04-05-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

If I had to do it all over again ( 454 cu in Darton resleave LS7) I'd say Katech or Lingenfelter.

A little closer to home for you would be Andy at A&A corvette.

http://www.aacorvette.com/

Steve at Race Engine Development (who did my Darton resleave) has worked with Andy for years. My car almost got delivered there when things went south during the initial build.

My advice,

1) Keep as many cooks out of the kitchen as possible. Let one shop do all the work buy all the parts, that way if you have a problem you know who to go to w/o any fingerpointing. Not to mention they should be able to complete tuning for you as well.

2) Make sure the shop you choose actualy DOES the work and doesn't order crate motors then slap their own heads/cam etc onto the motor. That method may work for street cars, but if you plan on beating the snot out of it on a road course everything better be perfect and not left to chance.

Good Luck!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Ron Hutter in Chardon, Oh does nice work with GM LS motors.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

as mentioned above: Katech

Also Panella Racing (in CA).

They built a monster big block for my dads AP '66 Vette. They also built mine and another guys engine for our Formula Fords. The other guy 2 years ago set 3 track records in a Swift DB1 in SCCA and got called out and had it tore down. 100% LEGAL. Makes huge power for what it is. Great engine, and the builder Steve Bolleto is a great guy too!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:18 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Ron Hutter in Chardon, Oh does nice work with GM LS motors.
Ron and I are business associates so that would be a great fit. He likes the Michelin Slicks. You know if he does installs? Nice suggestion.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
If I had to do it all over again ( 454 cu in Darton resleave LS7) I'd say Katech or Lingenfelter.

A little closer to home for you would be Andy at A&A corvette.

http://www.aacorvette.com/

Steve at Race Engine Development (who did my Darton resleave) has worked with Andy for years. My car almost got delivered there when things went south during the initial build.

My advice,

1) Keep as many cooks out of the kitchen as possible. Let one shop do all the work buy all the parts, that way if you have a problem you know who to go to w/o any fingerpointing. Not to mention they should be able to complete tuning for you as well.

2) Make sure the shop you choose actualy DOES the work and doesn't order crate motors then slap their own heads/cam etc onto the motor. That method may work for street cars, but if you plan on beating the snot out of it on a road course everything better be perfect and not left to chance.

Good Luck!
Great advice, I completely agree. I've gone to A&A before and was completely happy. Stayed on the beach while they installed a supercharger kit. Good Times. Andy is a good guy.

Katech is obviously one of my top 5, I've spoken with Jason and should have jumped on the value short block install deal they had going. That's a long haul from the west coast. Maybe though.

Tough decision.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming.

MB
Old 04-05-2009, 10:34 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanized
Ron and I are business associates so that would be a great fit. He likes the Michelin Slicks. You know if he does installs? Nice suggestion.
I don't know Ron real well, but well enough to feel confortable recommending him.

My question for him is how much does he know about the Dodge V10? His shop is less than an hour from my house, I need to run up there and pay him a visit.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:35 AM
JMB92
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://livernoismotorsports.com/
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Well I am going to toot our own horn and say ECS. We have been building strong durable engines for sometime now.

We have a bunch of engines in rr cars and 1/4 mile cars. Here are a few examples:

My ecs built ls7 has run 20 track days last year without even a hiccup. Doug@ecs ran his 402 for 2 years on the track with no issues and then sold it to georgez who still runs it. Rogue wave has an ecs 383. Mort has a 383. There are plenty more.

In the 1/4 mile we have records set with our engines and supercharger setups. These engines have to be reliable because records are not set in a day. It is usually weeks of testing and correction before a record is broken. You don't want down time fixing engines between each test.

Obviously this is only a few examples. We have many happy customers running high boost cars with our engine builds. We also have many customers running na builds.

I realize we do not have the biggest name out there and many people associate us with FI only, but I promise our proven results does match with others for a lesser price.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 04-06-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by bowmanized
hutter does do installs, infact they just opend a huge performance center.http://www.hutterperformance.com/default.aspx ron and his kids have been great to work with. they do all the building and tunning on my o8 z.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

http://www.lamarwaldenautomotive.com/

Lamar Walden, Atlanta.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys for putting us in this top 5 thread. We do installs, tunes and are very fair on the pricing for this. Because we would like to do the complete package. Selling crate engines is kinda a bad thing to do, as stated before. We will do it for a few customers that we feel can install and tune. There is many things that we do for customer car installs that is never mentioned on the forum. We call them little a bonus for our track buddies!!! With our coating technolgy and years of experience we know how to keep them cool and long running. We run custom pistons to our specs. Which have been proven many times over. Not the biggest horsepower, not the cheapest, not the most expensive, not the most drivable, not the worst driving. We are in the middle when it comes to all things measured and on top on the things that matter most!!!

Here are a couple that we did last year. At all times, Doug's office-assembly room looks like this. He does all the engine work now. I help out every once and awhile. The kid does some parts washing but other then that he is a one man band.

This one headed across the pond. Doug followed it over to Italy after they installed it.

Get notified of new replies

To Top 5 Engine Shops

Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

A local builder in Napa who does good work. He's built a bunch of LS engines for local guys.

http://www.temperformance.com/main.html
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
as mentioned above: Katech

Also Panella Racing (in CA).

They built a monster big block for my dads AP '66 Vette. They also built mine and another guys engine for our Formula Fords. The other guy 2 years ago set 3 track records in a Swift DB1 in SCCA and got called out and had it tore down. 100% LEGAL. Makes huge power for what it is. Great engine, and the builder Steve Bolleto is a great guy too!
oh, it's Bob Panella Motorsports Inc in Stockton, CA
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Something else to think about:

Depend on what you are going to do with your car and new engine.

Would not having your engine builder relatively close you to you be a good thing?

Re tunes, minor adjustments, heck even the install alone. vs sending your car across contry or have the builder send you the engine and have a third party do the install

Last edited by AU N EGL; 04-06-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top 5 Engine Shops