Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing race seats in a c6, issues??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Installing race seats in a c6, issues??

I recently purchased some cobra suzuka race seats for the c6 lt1. I plan on removing all factory mounts and using the pfadt universal mounts mounted to the floor. However I will be using standard seat belts when driving on the road and not at hdpe events.

Are there going to be any issues? Lights on the dash, seatbelt issues etc? Solutions? When I did this to the 350z it seemed much more simple....
Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 AM
vetteguy2005
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
I recently purchased some cobra suzuka race seats for the c6 lt1. I plan on removing all factory mounts and using the pfadt universal mounts mounted to the floor. However I will be using standard seat belts when driving on the road and not at hdpe events.

Are there going to be any issues? Lights on the dash, seatbelt issues etc? Solutions? When I did this to the 350z it seemed much more simple....
From what I know your steering wheel telescope will not work unless you get the wiring work around. Most Corvette aftermarket shops carry them.

If you have a roll cage or bar that is above your head you should be ok. If not you do not want as race seat as you cannot get down on the console in a roll over with a racing seat like you can the stock seat with the three peice belt.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:17 AM
gintama
Instructor

Issues:
1. Where you would bolt the 3 point is directly in line with the harness mounting point.
2. Hard to find the receiver side. Because of the size, you may need to buy a replacement with the pretensioner.
3. You will see a red air bag light.
4. Telescoping steering wheel as noted earlier.
5. The guys at PFADT do not recommend running like this because the 3 point was designed a part of the air bag system.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

The Hardbar seat rails are the standard setup that almost every T1 car in the country has, and have won every SCCA Runoffs that Corvettes have won that last few years. The installation is simple and straight forward and have infnite adjustability, have more headroom than any others by at least 3-4 inches (although you can go a high as you want) and are the strongest on the market by a long shot. They do allow the stock seat belts as well. We also have a electrical harness that will fix the lights. Please check put the installation instructions to see how they work.
http://hardbarusa.com/uploads/image/...lv1%206(1).pdf

Here are some pics of a Cobra Suzuka in Chris Ingle's SE Division Championship T1 class C6.

Chris is very tall!

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=45

Last edited by ghoffman; 04-07-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gintama
Issues:
1. Where you would bolt the 3 point is directly in line with the harness mounting point.
2. Hard to find the receiver side. Because of the size, you may need to buy a replacement with the pretensioner.
3. You will see a red air bag light.
4. Telescoping steering wheel as noted earlier.
5. The guys at PFADT do not recommend running like this because the 3 point was designed a part of the air bag system.
The 1lt does not have a telescoping steering wheel. As for the air bag light, any way to disable that?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Those look great. I really would like to keepmy standard belts for street driving as a 6-point is just too much to deal with.

Originally Posted by ghoffman
The Hardbar seat rails are the standard setup that almost every T1 car in the country has, and have won every SCCA Runoffs that Corvettes have won that last few years. The installation is simple and straight forward and have infnite adjustability, have more headroom than any others by at least 3-4 inches (although you can go a high as you want) and are the strongest on the market by a long shot. They do allow the stock seat belts as well. We also have a electrical harness that will fix the lights. Please check put the installation instructions to see how they work.
http://hardbarusa.com/uploads/image/...lv1%206(1).pdf

Here are some pics of a Cobra Suzuka in Chris Ingle's SE Division Championship T1 class C6.

Chris is very tall!

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=45
Old 04-07-2009, 12:23 PM
manicheus
Instructor

The 1lt does not have a telescoping steering wheel. As for the air bag light, any way to disable that?
You need to put the right amount of resistance across the connectors that plug into the OEM seat. This "fools" the car into thinking the OEM seat is still in the car, and the seat belt light will not stay on once you start the car. Pfadt may have a plug in devices with built in resistors. Give them a call.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Just spoke to pfadt. That telescoping jumper will work only if I don't remove the passanger seat (which of course I plan on doing). Pfadt said there really isn't a hard solution to get rid of the light once the passanger seat is out.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:08 PM
manicheus
Instructor

Just spoke to pfadt. That telescoping jumper will work only if I don't remove the passanger seat (which of course I plan on doing). Pfadt said there really isn't a hard solution to get rid of the light once the passanger seat is out.
Good to know. One of these days I will pull the passenger seat to save some weight while on track.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Who makes the best slider rails? I need to be able to move the seat for co-drivers.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

From what i have seen the slider rails raise the seat too high for helmet use if you are taller.

Subesports (a big cobra seat dealer) says i can disable the passenger seat airbag unit but everyone else says that isnt true. I need to find a skillfull shop in texas to do these seats for me. Im worried this is far more complicated than i thought it would be
Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

That is one of the reasons we don't make slider rails. Sliders cost you real estate, no matter what and are not as stiff and secure. With our rails you are intimate with the car and you can drop most seats almost on the floor. With Vetteworks, we have a new harness for the light issue and you can pull the fuse on the airbags as well (T1 guys have to). This is not a big deal, you can do this. In addition, once you have the seat how you like it with our setup, it is a 10-15 minute changeout from one seat to the other. Use the track seats at the track, street seats on the street, no biggie.
FYI, the rails above for Chris were were extensively "Swiss cheesed" for weight savings, and powdercoated white to go with the custom Teamtech harness. They are very pretty for sure, even if Chris isn't!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I beleive the 1LT does NOT have airbags in the seats which cause the light to come on. So if your car has no side impact airbags in the seat, you should not have any issues or lights.

I run my C6Z with the light on and it does not effect it's performance. I would not run it on the street like that, as if you get into an accident and the airbags don't delpoy, it is NOT worth the risk. There is also no proof that the resistor makes the air bags work correctly, so you are taking your chances. It is more work, but I change the seat out. Since they are all pre-set, it takes 20 minutes before each event.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

I have both my seats removed and have caravaggios and still have full functional telescope wheel, 2006 2lz z06

all you need is some 3.3ohm resistor for each seat harness.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:23 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 95jersey
...I run my C6Z with the light on and it does not effect it's performance...
95Jersey - Does the light go back OFF automatically when you reinstall the stock seats and wiring without any computer resets/reprogramming??

I had the driver's seat out of my old Porsche Boxster S once, and made the mistake to turn the ignition on while the seat was disconnected. The computer sensed the missing airbag, and it required a visit to the dealer (and $100) to have the stupid airbag light reset...

EDIT - This question is specific to a C6, since a C5 computer may react differently...
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Rule #1, anytime you disconnect OEM electrical connections, disconnect the battery (but set your telescoping wheel before you disconnect the battery). I disconnect and reconnect my seat on a monthly basis and the light goes out each time I reconnect the OEM seat.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Rule #1, anytime you disconnect OEM electrical connections, disconnect the battery (but set your telescoping wheel before you disconnect the battery). I disconnect and reconnect my seat on a monthly basis and the light goes out each time I reconnect the OEM seat.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing race seats in a c6, issues??

Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

I would just like to say thank you very much for all of the help you guys have given me. I'm definitely buying the hardbar mounts. As for the passanger seat resistor any have a how to or pictures before I get knee deep in this? No one in Austin seems to know how to do it.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Thanks Jersey. That confirms what I suspected.

And to be honest - it was a professional mechanic that turned the ignition on with the seat & wiring disconnected. He denied having done that, so I got stuck with the computer reset bill of $100.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:42 AM
manicheus
Instructor

I swap my seats frequently, never disconnect the battery and have had no issues. As to the functionality of the air bags once the OEM seat is out, maybe they will deploy, maybe not. I would not stake my life on it. GM crash tested the OEM system. I doubt you can say that for any aftermarket company. And yes, the warning light does come on when you remove the OEM seat, even if you have the 1LT (which I do), probably because there is an air bag sensor attached to the OEM seat.

Quick Reply: Installing race seats in a c6, issues??