Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easter, almost, at Roebling

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:57 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Easter, almost, at Roebling

Due to a little confusion it was late call where we spent Friday and Saturday before Easter this year with two great track options available. In the end Joshua and I headed to Roebling to run with SeatTime since that was where instructors were needed. We loaded up the CMC Mustang with the scrub RA1s mounted and left early Friday morning to sign in at Roebling by 0800. Turnout was very low and track density was near zero. The mix of cars was pretty good with a couple of formula cars, a Ferrari 360 Challenge car, a few Porsches, a Noble, a bevy of BMWs, a couple of Mustangs and even a Vette. My Friday student ended up with a severe gas leak in his Roush Mustang so I spent the day riding with other people and test driving a 944 race car with a wicked problem under braking. Josh had a great student in a S2000, a Delta pilot who does something besides golf ( what's up with that?) and by lunch time on Friday he was set free to run ever faster laps all weekend. The '88 CMC Mustang ran great all weekend with the mods and repairs we did to the car addressing the cooling issues. The gas tank did not even spew gas - a very large improvement. Josh gave rides to quite a few folks over the two days and was laying down some excellent lap times considering the wore out tires. I think the car has 1:23s in it at Roebling with fresh tires.

We managed to eat a birthday dinner at a Japanese steakhouse in Pooler, GA with Melissa on Friday night. Watching Ray eat when he is in ultra marathon training is pretty amazing. I want to thank Roebling track management for going out of their way to let us back in before 8 PM so we could camp in the paddock. I did determine it was time for the winter bag to get swapped for a summer weight one though.

Saturday Jean-Claude showed up with his very nice Porsche. A long shift on Friday with five hours of surgery on Friday, a date to around midnight, and an early departure at 0430 to make sign in on time (who says Army training has no value in the "real" world?). Not sure if the 2400 to 0400 time was spent in rest though - some questions I manage to keep to myself. Luckily, a power nap in the passenger seat with Josh on track (says something about Josh's smoothness or Jean-Claude's ability to ignore near death experiences) put him back in the zone after lunch. His improvement was dramatic as the day progressed. After 2 days running at CMP at the excellent TurnOne track days the sweepers of Roebling added to his experience base and definitely helped his skill set. Not surprising T5 was the one that tormented him the most. Twenty minute sessions worked out about perfect for his concentration and focus. We had 6 DE sessions on track together and ended the day at 1700 for a return to Augusta. Not Jean-Claude though - he was going to Savannah to see the sights since the day was still young.

Our next track event is the NASA May 1-3 event at CMP and we can hardly wait.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:19 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Weekend, enjoyed the company!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 05:01 PM
no spin
Instructor

Josh is instructing now!

Where have I been for the past year? I really need to get out more.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:08 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by no spin
Josh is instructing now!

Soon he will also be faster then me...some say he already is

Fred - we both were at Roebling and no rain (when the track was open anyway)
Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by no spin
Josh is instructing now!

It's crazy... I was thinking when I filled out the instructor card, "wow, I have an instructor who is on a minor waiver..."

To his credit, he was excelent. He gave great feedback to both his students and me, his students got up to speed, stayed behaved, had a good time, etc.. what is it they say on eBay, "A++ will use again"? Yea.

Also, thanks to Jeff for coming down, and being his usual keystone position in helping me run good, safe days.

Jon

Get notified of new replies

To Easter, almost, at Roebling

Quick Reply: Easter, almost, at Roebling