Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Question on sway bars

Is there an "optimal" or "ideal" relationship for the ends of the front sway bar and the ground? I ask because my car is significantly lowered via the frontcoil over kit from Meyers (its a 69) .
I am running a VBP sway bar with Guldstrand heim jointed end links and with the current ride height I have noticed the ends of the sway bar are pointed upwards and I think the ends may even be binding on the chassis rail at certain points. I am just wondering if the sway bar needs to be more parallel to the ground to operate correctly, in which case I can either lower the mounts on the tubular a arms, or get some shorter end links.

Nick
Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I have read on the internet that if the bar is not parallel to the suspension that it softens the bar. I don't know if this is true or not, but when I put the guldstrand setup on my car I didn't like the angle that the bar sat at, primarily it was due to the length of the heims and the Guldstrand adapters that re-orient the sway bar endlink hole from vertical to horizontal. Just yesterday I put on my new bar setup that eliminates the upper Guldstrand adapter, and helps but doesn't totally eliminate the angle problem. I'm going to probably cut the female heim to shorten it up.

This is with the car off the ground but gives you an idea of the modification to the bar.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:18 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Here's how it looks after I cut the heims shorter. This is with the car on the ground to show the angle of the bar better. I hope the heim joints hold!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:29 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Here's how it looks after I cut the heims shorter. This is with the car on the ground to show the angle of the bar better. I hope the heim joints hold!

it will! looks good!

Get notified of new replies

To Question on sway bars

Quick Reply: Question on sway bars