Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[F1] Double deck diffusers ARE legal 4/15/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default [F1] Double deck diffusers ARE legal 4/15/09

Brawn supremacy: F1 diffuser IS legal - so can anyone stop Jenson Button now?

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 11:15 AM on 15th April 2009

Brawn GP have been cleared to carry on using a controversial piece of kit that has helped propel Jenson Button to victory in the opening two Grands Prix of the season.

The FIA International Court of Appeal have ruled that the design of the Brawn, Toyota and Williams cars is legal and 'complies with the applicable regulations'.

Ferrari, Renault, Red Bull and BMW Sauber questioned the legality of the three teams' diffusers during an eight-hour hearing in front of five ICA judges.

However, a statement read: 'The FIA International Court of Appeal have decided to deny the appeals submitted against decisions numbered 16 to 24 taken by the Panel of the Stewards on March 26 at the Australian Grand Prix and counting towards the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship.

'Based on the arguments heard and evidence before it, the court concluded that the stewards were correct to find that the cars in question comply with the applicable regulations. Full reasons for this decision will be provided in due course.'

The ruling means the teams keep the points they have won in the two races so far this season with Brawn GP's Button leading the drivers' standings.

Although Ferrari, Renault, Red Bull and BMW Sauber argued fervently against the diffuser design, the judges have sided with the FIA and the stewards who had already determined the part was legal.
Ross Brawn

That has left Brawn GP, along with Toyota and Williams, free to race in this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai, and forced their seven rivals into playing catch up.

A Toyota statement read: 'As we have maintained throughout, our team studied the wording of the new 2009 regulations in precise detail to ensure we interpreted them correctly.

'We also made full use of the consultation procedure with the FIA which was a helpful process to ensure our interpretation of the technical regulations was correct.

'Therefore we had every confidence that the design of our car would be confirmed as legal, firstly by race stewards in Australia and Malaysia and subsequently by the Court of Appeal.'

Chairman and team principal Tadashi Yamashina added: 'I was confident the Court of Appeal would reach this verdict and I am satisfied with it.

'This has been a challenging period for Formula One and I am pleased this issue is now in the past and we can focus on an exciting season on the track.'

Brawn team principal Ross Brawn is keen to move on from the row. He said in a statement: 'We are pleased with the decision. We respect the right of our competitors to query any design or concept used on our cars through the channels available to them.

'The FIA technical department, the stewards at the Australian and Malaysian Grands Prix and now five judges at the International Court of Appeal have confirmed our belief that our cars have always strictly complied with the 2009 technical regulations.

'The decision of the International Court of Appeal brings this matter to a conclusion and we look forward to continuing on the track the challenge of what has been a very exciting start to the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...utton-now.html

More info on the diffusers:
http://www.gizmag.com/formula-one-do...iffuser/11260/
Old 04-15-2009, 01:43 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Good! Let the others catch up. I like seeing someone else win once in a while.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:30 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Good! Let the others catch up. I like seeing someone else win once in a while.
I've loved the racing through the first 1.5 events, but I'm a bit surprised to see any ruling that goes against Ferrari's way.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

"controversial piece of kit" ???????????????????????

If only one team had it, it would be one thing, but with 1/3 of the field using them from the start, it's hard to claim the loophole wasn't there to be exploited!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
good! Let the others catch up. I like seeing someone else win once in a while.
+1.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:58 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice to see some innovation rewarded.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

IMHO, not that dedicated conspiracy theorists will recognize it as such, but this ought to serve as one piece of evidence that the "F" in FIA more often stands for FUBAR than for Ferrari. I'm thrilled for the "diffuser three" to have been confirmed as legal. Gonna be a great season.

TSW
Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
"controversial piece of kit" ???????????????????????

If only one team had it, it would be one thing, but with 1/3 of the field using them from the start, it's hard to claim the loophole wasn't there to be exploited!
+1,000,000

It wasn't only Brawn, they were just winning. Imagine, a team besides Ferrari and Mercedes winning.... they must be cheating!!!

I'm looking forward to this weekend's race!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
IMHO, not that dedicated conspiracy theorists will recognize it as such, but this ought to serve as one piece of evidence that the "F" in FIA more often stands for FUBAR than for Ferrari. I'm thrilled for the "diffuser three" to have been confirmed as legal. Gonna be a great season.

TSW
on all counts.

If Ferrari, et al do not have new diffusers this weekend it will be soon thereafter.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was an article saying that the cost for the other teams to rush to build a competitive diffuser if they were deemed legal would be more than the proposed yearly budget cap for coming seasons...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:02 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The other teams will spend millions trying to catch up. Not only to design a comparable defuser, but redo their aero package to work with it. How long will it take them is the question.

Get notified of new replies

To [F1] Double deck diffusers ARE legal 4/15/09

Quick Reply: [F1] Double deck diffusers ARE legal 4/15/09