Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel Toe Part 2, Spring Mountain Driving Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Default Heel Toe Part 2, Spring Mountain Driving Tips

Hi everyone!

I want to thank you all for the great response and kind words to my first Spring Mountain Driving Tip: Heel-Toe Down Shifting.

I also want to clarify one point (thanks to those who pointed it out). In the first post I stated,

"If you just down shift and let the clutch out, the engine RPMs will be much lower than that of the transmission. The result is the car lurching forward and a possible loss of control (you know, that "chirping" the tires make when you let the clutch out too fast)."

Actually the car does not lurch forward. You, your passengers and anything else not bolted down will lurch forward. This is because the quick release of the clutch causes the car to slow even more. It's a similar to when you are braking at a certain rate, then suddenly "stab" the brake more. Make sense?

While I didn't intend on making the Heel-Toe topic a 2 part post, I got so many questions that it just made sense. Most of the questions had to do with pedal or foot placement so that's what I'm going to address.

To properly view this post, make sure your browser is set wide enough to see two pictures in a row.

Rather than use a real car's pedals, I'm going to use a set of simulator pedals from ECCI (in a future post I'll give you my thoughts on PC based racing games, wheels and pedals for home use).

A lot of you noticed how close the pedals are in the Lotus. Many complained about how far apart the Corvette pedals are. Some of you pointed out a few aftermarket mods that help alleviate the problem. I'm going to give you some tips that will help you in any car.

Optimal Setup

First let's talk about optimal setup. Ideally when your at maximum (threshold) braking, the brake pedal is slightly above the gas pedal and the brake and gas are close enough so that you can just roll your foot onto the gas to "blip" it. Exact setup will vary based on personal preference.

The pictures below show how I prefer the pedals to be under maximum braking. Notice how the right foot is partially on the brake and partially over the gas. This is critical. You want to have your foot positioned on the brake so it won't slip off under heavy braking and still be able to roll your foot to "blip" the throttle.

The next set of pictures show how you roll your foot to "blip" the throttle.

As you have already figured out, few street cars have optimal pedal spacing. Some of the more common problems include:

In most cases, it's a combination of these that cause problems. It should also be noted that the exact same setup can cause different problems for different drivers. This is due to personal preference, foot size, ankle/leg flexibility, shoes and seating position.

In this post, I'm only going to address the most common problems. At Spring Mountain we can address your exact issue and give you the one-on-one instruction and the safe, controlled environment that is necessary to become proficient.

1. Pedals too far apart, Brake extension good

This is solved by simply rotating your foot and using more heel to "blip". The amount will depend on the size of your foot and the spacing of the pedals. Use the ball of your foot to brake and your heel to "blip".

The first two pictures below show that you need to rotate your foot enough to cover the distance between the brake and gas. The next two pictures show rolling the foot to "blip"

I don't recommend using your heel to brake and toes to "blip". This is because you have much less control of the brake due to the fact that you have to move your whole leg to modulate the brake.

2. Pedals too far apart, Brake extends too far

This takes a bit more flexibility. Not only do you have to twist your leg, but you also need to point your toes to while braking. A common problem is that your foot inadvertently hits the gas while your braking. Depending on the clutch position, it might result in a reduction in the braking force. This is because as your braking, your also pressing on the gas making the car want to accelerate.

The difference in these pictures is subtle, but you should be able to note the first two pictures below show the brake pedal below the plane of the gas pedal. In the real world, this is usually more pronounced.

In the setup below, the brake does not extend too far below the gas, so I can roll my foot over to "blip". However, the the brake extends well below the gas then you might need to press down with your heel to to "blip"

3. Pedal spacing is good, Brake extends too far

In this case the pedal setup allows your foot to properly cover the brake and gas, but at maximum braking, the brake is below the plane of the gas. This results in a situation similar to item 2 where you inadvertently hit the gas at maximum braking. This is usually solved by adjusting the position of your foot on the brake and using the side of your foot to roll onto the gas. If the brake extension is far beyond the plane of the gas, then you may need to resort to pointing your toes while braking as in item 2.

The first two pictures show the pedal position just before applying the brake.

These next two photos show the pedal position at maximum braking. Again, it's subtle, but the right foot is actually pressing the brake and the gas at the same time causing the problem indicated above.

The next two pictures show the right foot adjusted so that at maximum braking, you miss the gas pedal.

And finally, the rolling of the foot to "blip" the throttle. You will notice there is a different part of the foot that contacts the gas pedal.

Shoes

I find that shoes can make a big difference. Driving shoes are designed to make heel-toe easier. Most have extra grip where your foot is supposed to hit the gas (see the picture below). They also tend to give you a better feel of the brake. But don't assume a racing shoe is what you need. Racing shoes tend to fit more like a sock and are designed for an optimal pedal setup. For street cars, you will probably want a wider shoe, like Piloti. At the Spring Mountain Apparel Store we carry a wide range of styles and sizes. I absolutely love them. They are great for driving and are comfortable to wear all day. I wear mine as much as possible.

Finding the right foot positions

When I get ready to take to the track in a car I've never driven, I always check the brake throw and pedal spacing. To do this, I find a safe area, make sure the transmission is in neutral and set the parking brake.

Next I press the brake hard. How far does it travel? I note where it is in relationship to the gas. I then try to "blip" the throttle. How did that feel? Can I reproduce it? If not, I reposition my foot until I can. I keep trying combinations of foot position until I find something that works. Then I practice it a few times before I head out on the track.

Summary

While I did not cover all the variations, I hope this gives you a better understanding of the mechanics of Heel-Toe Down Shifting. Like everything else with performance driving, practice is paramount.

As always, you should never practice these techniques on the street, only in a safe, controlled environment (like Spring Mountain).

At Spring Mountain we are committed to making better drivers one at a time, we hope to see you soon!

Don't forget about our Summer Driving School Specials.

Spring Mountain offers classes for all levels of drivers. Our performance driving schools give you the opportunity to learn from professional instructors and practice and master heel-toe down shifting along with threshold braking, car control, proper racing line, and a variety of other advanced driving techniques. So whether you're interested in Corvette, Lotus, Radical or our new MINI Cooper school, you will learn and master the techniques to make you a better, faster and safer driver all in a safe, controlled and fun environment.

Spring Mountain is located just 45 minutes from Las Vegas in Pahrump, NV. In addition to our driving schools, Spring Mountain is the home for the exclusive Club Spring Mountain, the premier private motorsports country club. While a student, you will enjoy access to members only Club amenities including the 8,000 SF club house, men and women?s locker rooms, fitness center, pool, Jacuzzi, massage therapy, racquet ball court and indoor gun range. Spring Mountain is truly a unique experience.

If you have a topic you would like to discuss, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

For more information or to sign up, visit www.RaceSpringMountain.com or call 800-391-6891

Follow this link to read previous Spring Mountain Driving Tips.

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
          www.racespringmountain.com
          victor@racespringmountain.com
          800-391-6891

Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
          petefias
          Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post. Excellent write up.
          Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
          bluemagoo
          Pro

Default Excellent!

I've been waiting for the follow up to Part 1 and it was worth the wait. Great info presented in a very organized and easy-to-understand fashion. Thanks for answering our questions Ken - I look forward to more of your articles.
          Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 PM
          cebars
          Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done write-up is consistent with professionalism of instructors at Spring Mountain.
          Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
          Independent1
          Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          St. Jude Donor '08

Superb write-up!!

Thanks. Very imformative.
          Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
          71corv
          Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
          St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the second write-up. Very helpful. I have the Elite Engr. wide accel pedal in my Z06 and it functions like the first pics in the post. Look forward to your future articles.

Gene
          Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 PM
          0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
          Former Vendor

Default The Track Pedal

Here's the best rev match pedal we've tried. Its quite simply called "The Track Pedal", and its by PFC.

http://precisionfabricationcomponents.com/products.htm

The pedal expands your brake pedal surface area towards the throttle, but most importantly it includes a block panel making it very unlikely to get your foot stuck under the brake and on top of the throttle should your foot slip from the brake while matching revs.

We have them available for $45.
          Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 AM
          socalspringmountain

Thank you all very much for the kind words!

Take care,

Ken
          Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
          NemesisC5
          Le Mans Master
          Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I drove my first event this past weekend with "driving shoes".....definetely skinnier than my tennis shoes and need some getting used to.
          Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 PM
          fire_n_ice
          Racer

Excellent post! The first I've ever seen with such detailed photos.

Incidentally, I also have a set of ECCI pedals in my home-built simulator
          Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
          socalspringmountain

Fire_n_ice, I love the ECCI pedals (and wheel). Let's see a picture of your simulator
          Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
          fire_n_ice
          Racer

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
          Fire_n_ice, I love the ECCI pedals (and wheel). Let's see a picture of your simulator
          I don't have any pics on my hard drive, but it's basically the FREX motion system, similar to this video (except my display is a projector ~72inch viewing area)

Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 AM
          socalspringmountain

Awesome!
          Old 04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
          NemesisC5
          Le Mans Master
          Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
          Awesome!