Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does shock fade feel like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 AM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default What does shock fade feel like?

Does it occur in tighter road courses, or just autocross? My C5's handling seems to get more erratic as laps go on. Its hard to really pinpoint the shocks as being at fault, because the tires fall off pretty quickly too (and that can be seen in the DAQ very clearly). But it feels like there is something more going on - the balance of the car changes even off-throttle, yet tire temps are pretty consistent from front to rear.

Its pretty challenging to drive, because you basically get one chance to set a fast lap, ala F1 qualifying from a few years ago. Its Kumho XS tires are very sticky - until they get hot. I was still able to set what I think is a street-tire lap record at a local test track, but if I wanted to run consistent lap times I'd have to drive as much as 1 to 1.5 seconds slower.

This is with '04 Z06 shocks. I hope Pfadt come out with their Featherlights soon...

Unfortunately the search function seems mostly-broken, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: What does shock fade feel like?