Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 AM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Watkins Glen Alignment

For those of you that run the Glen, what are you recommendations for alignment for Watkins Glen? I have spoken to a few guys that run Hoosiers and they don't recommend the 2.0+ in the front that is generally recommended due to the banking.

What ya'all doing?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Then I'm about to make a mistake I have been running 1.75 deg...the shoulders of my fronts are asking for more neg camber. Looking at -2.25->-2.50 for the next event.

When will you be there? Trackmasters, PhoenixCMR, BMW?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Well.....I saw your post this AM and was watching to see what the WGI experts would say.

First of all, I'm a track noobie that just has a dozen or so track days.

Second of all, I've never run WGI, although I have watched a bunch of videos and read a bit about the course in preparation for running an HPDE there someday soon.

However, it doesn't appear to my rookie eye that the "banking" there is enough to be concerned about. Scroll down to the "Hot Lap" section in the link below and take a look at Chris Ingle's excellent description of running the track:

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...tkinsGlen.html

He mentions you can turn-in hard for T7 due to the banking, and also says T10 is fast due to the banking. I haven't run the track, but it sounds like there is a little sustained banking in both those areas, but nothing that sounds like you drive those areas any differently because of a slight bank.

I have, however, driven on a banked track. At Daytona with 31 degree banking, I setup my car with about -2.5* camber up front and -1.5* in the rear for the Hoosier R6's. They run just about perfect there with very even wear across the tread and temps within 20* from inside to outside. Here's a video of a couple laps. As I said, I'm a rookie track guy, so the car and the setup are what's making the car do what it's doing:

Click for video

I'm standing by to hear what the WGI experts have to say, but unless I hear something way different from my experience on a high-banked track, I'll just go with my normal cranked-in camber when I run my Hoosiers when I get a chance to get up to run Watkins Glen.

Bob
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 AM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys.

kmagvette: I am signed up for all TM and the June CMR event. I have done BMW but not the Upstate group. Do you run with these guys? Maybe we have met? Are you from Upstate?

I am stepping up to R compounds this year and want to make sure I don't ruin $1,500 of tires out of the gate

Who does your alignment and what do you do for toe and caster?

BEZ06: The Glen has a fair amount of banking in most places. T10 is definitely one of the most fun!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I just set mine for neg 3 left and neg 2.5 right. Caster was left high for high speed stability. I have all the settings at home.

I will be there monday and tuesday with scda and with lots of track time I should get good reading.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by H1ghlndr
kmagvette: I am signed up for all TM and the June CMR event. I have done BMW but not the Upstate group. Do you run with these guys? Maybe we have met? Are you from Upstate?

I am stepping up to R compounds this year and want to make sure I don't ruin $1,500 of tires out of the gate

Who does your alignment and what do you do for toe and caster?
:
I live in your hood. I will be instructing at both the Trackmasters and PhoenixCmr events, if you have run with these groups before you probably have given me a point-by . I have a 02 QS Z.

My current alignment is -1.75 front, 6 caster, 0 toe. Rear is -1.1 and 1/8" toe-in. I will be going to -2.25 to -2.5 front for the next event.

While Watkins Glen is not banked like Daytona, there is a significant banking available in many turns if you are on the right line. Turns 1, 2, and 6 come to mind.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Why exactly should there be any issue about camber on banked tracks?

I assume your concern is because when the suspension is loaded by the increased downforce when running on the banks that there will be an increase in camber just from the deflection of the suspension, is that right?

I've read that the NASCAR guys set up the suspension different on each side of the car for the high banking on the superspeedways, but they're up there on the banking for sustained periods and never do anything but those long left turns and straights.

If you're running a road course, I would think that the Hoosier guidance of -3 degrees would work all around the track. Like others have said, they are setting up about -2.25 to -2.5 degrees up front, and that's what I run with my Hoosiers. When running the banks and loading the suspension, the camber may increase to the -3 degree range, which would be good. At Daytona there are rights and lefts in the infield and I generate quite a bit more lateral G's when going around those corners than on the banking.

I'm looking forward to more info so I can get set up properly for when I'm able to run The Glen!!

Bob
Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I agree with Keith. If you are running Hoosiers you have to run a lot of camber. It doesn't make a difference if it is at the Glen. About 10 years ago I gave up running Hoosiers as I corded the front tires so fast due to lack of camber (only -2.4). The newer Hoosiers are supposedly better than those tires but still require a lot of camber. If you are running a square setup that should make it easier as you can swap front to rear.

For the last few years I have been running a -1.3 setting with Kumho 710s and I can get almost a full season out of a set of those tires including doing 25 or so autocrosses.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Watkins Glen Alignment

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Alignment