Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in Throttle Body ( TB ) AFTER install of PCV Catch Can

Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
VETTERACER11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil in Throttle Body ( TB ) AFTER install of PCV Catch Can

I have a 2004 Z06. Stock motor. I installed a PCV Catch Can because I was getting a lot of oil in the TB and rubber accordian air bridge between the TB and air filter. The PCV Catch Can DOES collect quite a bit of oil during High Speed Track Day sessions, BUT I am still getting a lot of oil in the TB and air bridge. I am getting so much oil in the air bridge that it is dripping onto the serpentine belt and getting flung all over the engine compartment.

Is there any way to eliminate ALL of the oil from the TB and Air Bridge area???

Do I need to add a Second PCV catch can in line with the first one to "Double Catch" the oil vapors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM
imp zog
Racer

I catch a good amount of oil in my catch can, but haven't noticed oil in the air bridge since I installed it (will know better after next weekend though). Are you sure it's not from an (over-) oiled air filter? I've used steel wool in the valve cover breathers on the stock car, but on that car the vapours do not re-enter the engine, so I'd exercise extreme caution if you choose to put anything in the catch can to help condense/separate the oil from the crankcase "air", namely because this is being introduced back into the engine post-air-filter.

Edit: what kind of can are you using (brand, size)?

Last edited by imp zog; 04-20-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I use dual Saikou Michi catch cans on my LS1 and even upgraded to an LS6 valley cover yet still get some oil in my intake. Not a whole lot, but its there. Before the valley upgrade I just had the cans, one to the pass. valve cover and one to the driver's with pcv. Same thing. I ran it on the track and only got a few drops of oil in the can, but there was smoke on deceleration going hard into corners. The valley cover upgrade I have not tried on track, but in street driving as mentioned above there is still oil in my intake. Next to none in the cans. I my car has really low oil pressure so I think that is why I don't fill the cans. On cars with higher oil pressure I the heads don't drain and I'm pretty sure that is why the cans fill up so much.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I have two catch cans. One from the valley cover. The other one is hooked up on the valve cover vent tube. They both catch a lot of oil depending on rpm's and g loads. But I still get oil in my air cleaner. I'm not going to worry about it.

Steve
Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a phone call about this just today, was that you???

Is this a new problem on a old setup? Or did you put the catch can on because it was using a bunch of oil?

Randy
Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My set up was using a catch can and it would get half full from one track event. I would also see quite a bit of oil in the TB and Airbridge.

I just put on a Z06/LS6 Valley cover and since then I now have a bit of oil leaking from somewhere ( I have a lot of oil pressure). I pulled the catch can completely off and now run a hose from the valley cover to the TB. Its raining here so I havent had a chance to run the car hard to see if its still leaking from somewhere.

Question for the OP....How is the oil leaking onto the serp belt? How is it getting out of the air bridge?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
VETTERACER11
Intermediate

I am positive that it is not an over oiled air filter.

I only have one catch can between the valley and the intake manifold. I am using the Elite Engineering catch can.

It sounds like I need to try a second catch can in between the passenger side front valve cover and the throttle body. It sounds like the oil in the air bridge and in front of the TB butterfly must be coming from the valve cover since the valley goes into the intake manifold Behind the TB butterfly.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
VETTERACER11
Intermediate

Randy,

Yes. I called you earlier today about this. Doug gave me a couple of ideas, one being the additional catch can on the valve cover to TB. I'll try that and see if it improves the situation.

I got a call back from Danny Popp, and he suggested trying the same thing. Danny said he collects just as much oil from the valve cover catch can as he does the valley to intake catch can.

Sounds like a second catch can is definitely worth trying.

Now I just have to remove the airbridge bellows and figure out how/where the oil is leaking out onto the serp belt and being flung all over the engine. It is NOT a huge amount of oil mess, but like Doug said a few drops of hot oil can find its way all over the place when being flung off of the belt. It ends up being splatters of oil everywhere, not puddles. I do know that the connection of the rubber airbridge bellows to the plastic air filter housing is not a very tight fit. I will also check the band/hose clamp on the mouth of the TB to make sure that it is sealed completely. Like I told Danny, I thought about a smooth airbridge being easier to clean, But then instead of the oil collecting and staying in the grooves of the bellows, it would just drain all the way down to the bottom of the air filter housing and probably eventually drip out of the nose of the car.

Thanks,

Mike Ball
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
VETTERACER11
Intermediate

Randy,

I originally put the catch can on because I was getting a lot of smoke out of the exhaust during heavy braking zones at the Autobahn track. With the catch can installed, I do not have any smoke in the exhaust any more, but I still have quite a bit of oil in the TB and airbridge.

This past Sat at Putnam Park, I ran six 20 minute sessions and used 1 quart of oil for the day.

Mike
Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 AM
imp zog
Racer

Interesting... I was only aware of the PCV oil issue, not a valve cover one too. I'm racing my Z06, so adding a second can to catch valve cover oil is probably in order as well, I've always assumed that it was my '01 oil-burner LS6 that was at fault for the bulk of my oil use (thru the rings) after I added the PCV catch. Does anyone have some pictures of this installation? I have the shop manuals, but it's always nice to have a picture if anyone has them. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cap off the the intake manifold and run the lines to a vented catchcan like this -

http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...Oil+Components
Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 AM
imp zog
Racer

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Cap off the the intake manifold
I'm not certain that you want to do that, you need the suction from the intake to pull the nasty gases out of the crankcase (and valve cover), as the ports do not provide enough ventilation on their own, and your oil will contaminate very quickly. I use a sealed catch can for the PCV, and ran lines to and from the can in order to keep the suction thru the intake usable (I also left the PCV check valve in line).

Get notified of new replies

To Oil in Throttle Body ( TB ) AFTER install of PCV Catch Can

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil in Throttle Body ( TB ) AFTER install of PCV Catch Can