Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:50 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Urgent help needed.

So, I'm too strong and as a result I severed the wires going to the crank position sensor behind the intake manifold. The car will start (takes a little while, but it DOES start.

I have read that the crank position sensor isnt used when the car is running, so am I ok leaving it this way for the race this weekend?

or do I need to pull the manifold and fix my mistake.

Please answer quickly...
Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is the cam sensor. Is it needed? I don't know for sure.

Randy
Old 04-24-2009, 03:48 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Well, the car seems to run fine. I think it'll be ok.

The plus side of this whole mishap is that because i was snooping around for wires, I found that the rearmost left injector was leaking like a **** from the top O ring. I cringe when I think about what might have happened.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

as easy as it is to pull the intake, I'd personally try and fix it. I'm not sure which sensor (cam or crank) is the primary pickup for the timing, but I'm not sure I'd start a trip knowing it's broken.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:20 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
as easy as it is to pull the intake, I'd personally try and fix it. I'm not sure which sensor (cam or crank) is the primary pickup for the timing, but I'm not sure I'd start a trip knowing it's broken.
I did some research, I threw the P0342 code, which is for the cam position sensor. That is just used for startup. After that the crank pos sensor is used for timing.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Old 04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

haven't done it on a corvette, but on my 2002 Camaro SS it takes a couple people and maybe a (very careful) half hour to remove the manifold. make sure you're careful with the PCV lines as you don't want to hit the Oil Pressure Sending Unit and break that as well (you'll know if you do when you start the car and your oil pressure goes to reading at maxed out pressure). I would pull it and get that fixed...shouldn't be much more then a couple hours work and maybe a run to the parts store..

Get notified of new replies

To Urgent help needed.

Quick Reply: Urgent help needed.