Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good News Bad News!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:41 PM
bgx12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good News Bad News!

I just picked up my Kaufman trailer with ramps extended from the normal 5' to 6'. The car drove straight up the ramp and the door opens without removing the fender. Just awesome that I can do that without wood ramps.

the bad news, I got a service abs warning on the dic and service traction control light. I did replace the rear rotors last week but drove the car and all was fine. So I thought I would just check to see if the abs was working. I went down a back street at 50 hit the brakes hard and the front tires locked up and to be sure I tried again and the rear end nearly came around. For sure no ABS is working. What could be the problem? I am taking to the dealership MOnday as I have a track weekend scheduled next weekend at Roebling.

any ideas?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you check to see what codes were being thrown? I got the dreaded 1214, but after about 2 days, mine went away and everything is fine now. Not sure what the deal was. My searching found everything from bad grounds, to frayed wires to bad bearings, to bad relays. Hopefully it will go away.

BTW, you have some specs on your new trailer? I haven't heard of Kaufmann. Are they local? TIA.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

My was bearings, replaced all 4 and the issue went away, I was fighting it for a couple months
Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
bgx12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It turns out that the ABS module was shorting out. I have it in the shop now and it is being replaced. You have gotta love the extended warranty. That puppy cost $1,400 to install. My dedectible is $75.00 so I think have covered the cost of my warranty and have 3 years left on it.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgx12
It turns out that the ABS module was shorting out. I have it in the shop now and it is being replaced. You have gotta love the extended warranty. That puppy cost $1,400 to install. My dedectible is $75.00 so I think have covered the cost of my warranty and have 3 years left on it.
I had the same problem a couple years ago...when one goes bad, the whole system shuts down ABS. I guess they don't want 1 wheel locking up while 3 going into ABS mode, that would probably throw the car for a bad spin vs. just having traditional lock up.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

kaufman is in central NC, although I'm sure they have dealers everywhere. A friend of mine got one, and we picked it up right at their factory

Other than a wheel bearing or two (he never lubed them to my knowledge) he's really enjoyed it

Get notified of new replies

To Good News Bad News!

Quick Reply: Good News Bad News!