Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I ran the Beast in the April 24 NASA 3-hour Enduro at Road America. Pics and Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I ran the Beast in the April 24 NASA 3-hour Enduro at Road America. Pics and Video

EDIT: Video Up! http://vimeo.com/4363072

After wavering back and forth, I decided to run the Beast in the NASA 3-hour Enduro at Road America this past Friday.

What a great weekend it was going to be. I met a few forum members there who may chime in. The forecast called for sunny skies and temps in the 70's. I pretty much guaranteed no rain as I had the rain tires mounted 2 days prior.

My hesitation to run was the car is currently being prepped for such events but isn't there yet. I purchased a serious new brake system that accommodates pads 34mm thick. Because the new monster calipers are so wide, I ordered new center spokes to clear them. Of course typical of race parts, I'm still waiting.

My other concern was the car has no fuel gauge and even though I know the time it can run continuously at Autobahn, Road America offers a track that requires more time on the throttle, and much higher speeds. The Beast has a serious gas guzzler tax.

My driving partner was WC driver Brian Kubinski. I felt we had 2 true competitors:

1) A new 997 Porsche cup car driven by David MacNeil and Randy Pobst, yes that Randy Pobst.

2) A V8 M3 that was leading the 25 hours of Thunderhill last year (until the 23 hour mark) driven by Mark Boden and Joe Koenig.

Friday morning offered 4 test sessions before the 3-6pm race.

The car was on the rack Thursday night getting a new beefed up differential (which I lost a week ago). We had to take the first two sessions slow breaking in the new diff.

To make sure the car would last as it really hasn't been test for such a long race, we decided to run lap times between 2:20 - 2:30. Not very fast for this car at Road America, but we thought it would be enough to win. We also did most our shifting at 6K.

Brain ran low teens in testing and said the car with the new brake system and higher RPM shifting, would run 2:09s.

The third test session went well but we had a small issue with the Lamda's (engine parameters) loading on start up through MoTec.

2 hours before the race, we found a faulty brake switch that is of course specific to my car. The crew called the shop and actually had one driven up, but it wouldn't make it to the track until 3:10pm, 10 minutes after the race started. We still entered the race and 2 laps into it, we fried the alternator clutch, the pulley was actually melted. We put a new alternator in but by this time we missed the first 40 minutes of the race.

We still ran the car but realized we had zero chance unless every car out there failed. We were 24 laps behind Pobst when we hit pit in. GAME OVER!

With about 45 minutes remaining in the race, we lost the linkage to the sway bar. The car pitted, was tended to, and sent right back out. What a different feel the car had now, a lot more roll, like a 78 DeVille.

The Katech engine worked flawlessly and Kubinski said the power and new torque (with the Stage II GM cam) was simply incredible. Those coming to Track Attack will see first hand.

Short side story:

During testing, I had Kubinski riding shotgun giving me pointers. After going through the kink I noticed in my mirror Pobst behind me. Coming through Canada Corner I tracked right to let him by (as if I had a choice ). I was driving slower working with Brian.

I tracked right coming through T13 and pointed Pobst left. I looked in my mirror and didn't see him anymore. Next thing I know he's passing me on the right RUFKM? with two wheels in the grass and our mirrors almost hitting.

Pobst and I talked after the session and he said with my black window netting it was hard for him to see I was directing him and at that point he had to make a decision. One thing I know is to be predictable, so I stayed put as he passed. He complimented me afterwards. It was an awesome HUMBLING experience. :o

Here are a few pics and I will try to get some video up soon. The car shakes so much that the wires make intermittent contact. We have to silicone them in for the next race. The files on my storage card are also quite large and I'm having trouble loading them into the software for editing.

Brian Kubinski and Randy Pobst before the race. Two great guys. Randy was very kind offering advice to me before hand, priceless!

All smiles before the Green flag waved!

The two pros shaking hands afterwards.

A disappointing result as Brain had the fastest lap time in the race. I now know how Pfadt and Popp felt at Thunderhill, kinda.

Overall, I learned quite a bit and plan on running the Beast in more events. It's still a big shoe I'm trying to grow into, and I enjoy taking lessons from the top guys who are only a million times better than me.

Mike

Last edited by Short-Throw; 04-27-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, sorry to hear about your troubles. As we discussed on the phone, enduros break cars, period.

But it looks like you and Brian gave it the old college try. Fast lap is something to crow about. Now, if we could keep the car in one piece for the entire race...

Better luck next year and all that.

See you at Track Attack.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write-up Mike, I was wondering how things went. Sorry to hear about the issues, but I am sure it was still a great experience as you said.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Duke1
Heel & Toe

Mike, it was great seeing the Beast finally driven in anger! Sorry you guys had all that trouble. Will the Beast be getting a quick-fill fueling system soon?!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Duke1
Mike, it was great seeing the Beast finally driven in anger! Sorry you guys had all that trouble. Will the Beast be getting a quick-fill fueling system soon?!

Jim,

Putting in a dry-break system was discussed before the race but there simply wasn't time. It is on the never ending up-grade list.

You and Jay did a phenomenal job driving the Koni car. Congratulations on your successful race. You guys were a consistent machine out there!

The pit boss seemed to call for a few stop-and gos for dripped fuel which I never saw.

Mike
Old 04-25-2009, 10:17 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Can't wait to see the video.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:11 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Even with the problems it must have been pretty cool to know you can be competitive with some of the best. I'm sure you'll get the bugs worked out and be back after them. See you in Virginia!

Mike
Old 04-26-2009, 06:41 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I'm just glad we're going to be able to have the pleasure of seeing the beast in action at Katech Track Attack '09. You'll get all of the little issues resolved. Then you can start running down Pobst and some of the big guns at the races.

Can't wait to play at Autobahn in two weeks!!!!

Steve
Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

well well. The Cherry was POPPED FOR REAL now.

Ok Get some NASA SU stickers on her and git r done.

Congrates
Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Sorry about the troubles but hopefully it gets you that much closer to getting things figured out.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pics

Sorry about the glitches but it sounds like a great learning experience. Be happy you got the good weather; 45 degrees and downpour at the NASA event after you left...
Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Mike, sorry to hear about your troubles. As we discussed on the phone, enduros break cars, period.

But it looks like you and Brian gave it the old college try. Fast lap is something to crow about. Now, if we could keep the car in one piece for the entire race...

Better luck next year and all that.

See you at Track Attack.

Frank Gonzalez
Frank,

No doubt enduros take their toll, but the knowledge I gained from Kubinski and Pobst was well worth it. I felt like it was the Pros vs. Joes.

Mike
Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

great pics and write up, yeah sucks to hear about the minor issues that need to be taken care of. Damn the best shakes so bad the wires need to be silicone it will be quite the ride at TA then
Old 04-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mcar00
Even with the problems it must have been pretty cool to know you can be competitive with some of the best. I'm sure you'll get the bugs worked out and be back after them. See you in Virginia!

Mike
Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
Mike, I'm just glad we're going to be able to have the pleasure of seeing the beast in action at Katech Track Attack '09. You'll get all of the little issues resolved. Then you can start running down Pobst and some of the big guns at the races.

Can't wait to play at Autobahn in two weeks!!!!

Steve

Thanks guys,

I take lessons from the pros as often as I can, and each time I'm reminded of how much more there is always to learn driving a car with such capabilities!

Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Mike,

It sounds like you have contracted a serious case of the enduro bug! Without a doubt it is my favorite form of racing. It has someting to do with the long continuous driving sessions and the companionship of the group effort. The extra time to bond as a team makes them special, even during moments of adversity.

The next step is to get to TH25 and race at night. Priceless!

Dean
Old 04-26-2009, 12:41 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Very cool. Glad to see the beast out and running.

Is it me or does the driver in the background look like he's puking?

Those BMW guys were a class act and very organized out at Thunder Hill.

Look forward to hearing more in the future.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Nice write-up Mike, I hope we see a lot more of these and if you come anywhere near me I'd love to come out for the event. There's an SCCA 12-hour race at Summit Point in June. If you come out and run the Beast I'll crew for you and you can stay at my place if you want (~40 minute drive to the track). Beers poolside after the race

BTW, did you get a new trailer?

Get notified of new replies

To I ran the Beast in the April 24 NASA 3-hour Enduro at Road America. Pics and Video

Old 04-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Great write up. Get those bugs worked out and start representing.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Sorry about the troubles but hopefully it gets you that much closer to getting things figured out.
Hey,

It's not real racing unless there's a mechanical issue at some point right?

BTW, I love the videos you post. Any ideas on how to edit files that are 500-900KB apiece? I usually have no issues with moviemaker. I would post the whole file but it's really unwatchable with all static caused by the loose wires over the rumble strips.

Mike
Old 04-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvandentop
great pics and write up, yeah sucks to hear about the minor issues that need to be taken care of. Damn the best shakes so bad the wires need to be silicone it will be quite the ride at TA then
Don't worry Derek,

We can silicone you in as well!

Quick Reply: I ran the Beast in the April 24 NASA 3-hour Enduro at Road America. Pics and Video