Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo / StopTech / Wilwood ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:14 PM
EmilT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo / StopTech / Wilwood ????

Thinking of upgrading brakes for HPDEs on a C6-Z06. I know all these systems are great and will exceed my abilities so that is a given. What I do not know is which system may be the most $$$ friendly as far as replacement parts and availability, i. e. pads and rotors.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:34 AM
hapnermw
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stoptech's have a removable bridge that makes it simple to change pads. Very wide selection of pads available.

Check out Cobalt Friction XR2 pads. Excellent track performance, no bedding required (they use a new pad material that does not require a deposit of material on the rotor to create adhesion), can be used on the street if you can tolerate a bit of squeak the last few feet. Unlike most high torque track pads they are very easy on rotors. I'm still on my first set after 2+ years and 20+ track days.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
EmilT
Instructor

Are the Cobalt XR2s that are available for the stock C6-Z06 brakes a single pad or the padlets?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Stoptechs are probably the best all around caliper's on the market. The willwoods might be cheaper and have almost as many pads, but the calipers/rotors are not as good as the Stoptechs.

ST's are great calipers and rotors, with a TON of pad selection.

Brembo is the best but the kits are $texas
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Four of us upgraded our C4 front calipers from stock to Wilwood. We experienced numerous problems with rotor warping, rotor cracking and loss of stopping due to overheating. This may not have been a Wilwood problem because we kept the stock rotors. However, I will NEVER buy Wilwood products again because of the total lack of interest and customer service when I called for help. Without going into details, their support was totally worthless and convinced me that I did not want to do business with them again, and this was a few years ago. It was very obvious they only cared about selling product, not supporting it.

Ed
Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've installed Wilwoods on two cars before and was not pleased. Since then I have been installing nothing but StopTechs. The StopTech rotor life is much better (we are getting a year -20 track days- out of a set of rotors) You also get the hardware with the rotors for StopTech ($50 for Wilwood almost $80 for Brembo). I would say for cost of ownership you can't beat StopTech, they may be more expensive at first than Wilwood but through time it will even out. Brembo makes a great product but you pay too much for the name, I really think it's hard to beat StopTech.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:49 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Custom kit by Gary Hoffman, its what I'm going to buy once I can swing the change. You know its the best if its from Gary!

I will be getting the rotors soon!

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...127de05e22df3d

Last edited by C5 Hardtop; 04-27-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Your OE brakes are better than the Wilwood. Just curious, what is your disappointment with the factory system? I had a C6 ZO6 and, with street tires, I did not notice folks outbraking me with any of these systems.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by EmilT
Are the Cobalt XR2s that are available for the stock C6-Z06 brakes a single pad or the padlets?
Single pad for front and rears.

/Nik
Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can anyone quantify what makes Stoptech ST-60s brakes better Wilwood W6As? I was leaning towards the Wilwoods because of cost and rotor size (14.25" vs. 14" allows more cooling to be directed into the center area of the rotor). Also, Todd at TCE has a kit which allows you to run the W6A calipers with 35mm thick rotors, which should significantly increase their lifespan.

The pad measurements for the W6A and ST-60 calipers are available on their manufacturers' respective websites. It looks like the ST-60 might have slightly more pad volume than the W6A. I'm not sure what pad replacement costs are, but the rotor rings priced out to roughly the same cost.

I know some (T1) Viper guys who use the Stoptech 355x32mm AeroRotor. They don't seem to be getting longer life out of them vs. the cheaper OE blanks, but the Stoptechs are of course lighter.

Stoptech rotors are floating while many others (like Wilwood, some Brembo and many bike rotors) are not. I'm told many 2-piece setups with offset rotors allow the aluminum hats to flex a bit as the rotor expands, negating or at least reducing the need for floating rotors.

Last edited by GrantB; 04-27-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Wilwoods and had similar trouble. I'm on Brembos and couldn't be happier.

I can't think of a smarter thing to spend money than brakes. It's cheaper than having them go out at the wrong time. That's really expensive and dangerous to boot!

PS. I have heard very good things about Stoptechs.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snitz
I had Wilwoods and had similar trouble. I'm on Brembos and couldn't be happier.
Which Wilwoods and what sort of trouble? Which Brembos do you have now?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Todd Z
Racer

I went to SEMA a few years ago just to talk to all the brake guys. I ended up with Stop Tech's for the main reason they tested on my home track of Road America. I get at least 10 to 12 events on a set of rotors and could not be happier. Zero fade and always predictable. I run DTC 70 in front and DTC 10 in the rear. Gotta go appointment here.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Wilwood SL6Rs on LGM brackets running base C6 (aka C5) rotors. They've been working very well for me. Note that this isn't the Wilwood kit with the thin pads, and they're 2pc rotors. This also isn't the "normal" LGM SL6 kit. It really is the full width race caliper on the LGM brackets...
Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elh0102
Your OE brakes are better than the Wilwood. Just curious, what is your disappointment with the factory system? I had a C6 ZO6 and, with street tires, I did not notice folks outbraking me with any of these systems.
When you go from street tires to race tires you will find the problem with stock brakes..
I cannot find a single problem with the 4 piston Brembo on 14" floating rotors, other than initial cost.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:14 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Stoptech BBK with DTC-70 all around. I am very happy with their modulation, stopping performance and they have reasonable life. To reduce pad knock back (caused by suspension flex) I had them supply the hat/rotor assembled to float. Their support has been top notch.

Dean
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by hapnermw
. I'm still on my first set after 2+ years and 20+ track days.
damn low speed tracks or do you do mostly auto x??

Get notified of new replies

To Brembo / StopTech / Wilwood ????

Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Anybody ever try the Baer Pro Plus kit? It uses the same pad as stock, and is a bit more affordable than ST/Brembo.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Topic sounds like one of those common "if I had known exactly what I was buying" threads.

Allow me to clear up some confusion please. The only true factory Wilwood kits are those offered by a number of vendors and is fit with the narrow body six pot BSL6r. (120-8000/1RS to be exact)

Other kits from outside dealer are not Wilwood kits but rather "tuner" kits if I were to coin a phrase for them. This does not mean they are bad or good- they are simply not Wilwood kits. That being said if a customer has an issue with either the 'kit' or any component in it the Wilwood tech line will (rightly) be of little or no assistance in helping you with any issue. They will refer you back to whomever you purchased it from.

With regard to true factory kits or any other kit experiencing premature wear, 'warpage' pad wear issues, or any other such problem be certain you're laying the blame where it belongs; on the supplier who sold it to you. Nearly all such issues are owner/user induced, often in part by the a vendor who did not work the the consumer to be certain the proper parts were selected for the intended use. That includes both the caliper model, pad compound and rotors.

For someone purchasing a "good deal" on a drilled BSL6r kit with street pads and expecting this combo to be a weekend track vehicle...they are not. And a good dealer wil explain this to you and why. If they cannot; find a better dealer.

Personally I've raced for many years (and won) using the product. I have customers in vehicles nearly as fast and certainly much heavier who are more than pleased with the results- Lightnings, Impala SS's, a Charger (running 1.49 at Laguna!) who can attest to the product. As I'm well aware can be said for other brands too.

They are all good brands and products. Each has it's pros and cons. For the vast majority of Wilwood buyers the value lies in ease of fit (no need for spacers or wheels to clear the calipers) and affordable pad compounds. For the true hard core user improvements to the base kits and other items may be warranted.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 04-27-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantB
Which Wilwoods and what sort of trouble? Which Brembos do you have now?
With the Wilwood (Big brack kit) I had a lot of brake fade (after 4-5 laps) and went through pads very quickly. The only pads I had any luck with were H compound which you can't run on the street.

I changed those out to Brembo GTs with hawk black pads and had zero problems with fade. It was much easier to modulate the brakes and the pads lasted considerably longer.

Quick Reply: Brembo / StopTech / Wilwood ????