Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bend Open Road Race

Old 04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Big Bend Open Road Race

Just got back from the Big Bend Open Road Race in Fort Stockton, TX.

This was the 4th BBORR for me and my wife. We ran in the 130 mph class - trying to average 130 mph over the 118 miles of Texas highway. It has ~100 turns in that distance. You run 59 miles one way and then restart to come back the other way. So you have 2 starts to figure in.

We came in 5th in our class - 0.846 seconds slow at 129.966 mph. We were 0.009 seconds from 3rd, 0.5 seconds from 2nd, and 0.821 seconds from 1st. So it was pretty tight.

We only use stopwatches and landmarks to judge our time.
Imagine driving 120 miles on the highway and arriving .8 seconds from the time you said you would get there. Then do that at 130 mph with a bunch of curves in there.

The only mishap I know of was a guy in a Mazda that hit a buzzard. It dented his fender and ripped the drivers mirror off. He was in the 135 mph class and still got 1st place at 0.436 seconds fast.

Fun time.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

We were there too, SS Racing.

The car ran great, and we ended up a little fast in the 150 class. About 4 seconds fast. Too much fun running those curves at speed, and then pegging it on 168 on the straights.

Oh well, too much skinny pedal, finished somewhere around 7th in class.

Here are a few photos:

First Pic, this is the practice run, 8 miles of twisty road......you can't go to fast or slow.....they watch and time you. No room for mistakes. To fast, to slow DQ, you're out of the race.

Our cars- 4 of us from CO went down together.

The line up, waiting for them to stop traffic, clear the road, and then we go.

My friend's Ford GT and Z06

This is race day, they lined us up, two rows of 80....every 30 secs to a minute you take off

Next two pics are us in the car, getting ready to for our turn

This is us at the green light and green flag, a few seconds after this picture we were doing 160+.....it's open road

Here we are at Checkpoint 3, heading North. Zoom zoom!!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

That's what I'm building my car for.

How fast will they let you run with a 6pt rollbar?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:42 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
That's what I'm building my car for.

How fast will they let you run with a 6pt rollbar?
They will let you average speed 150, and max 168 for my setup (C6 and harness bar). With some other mods- including cage (but I don't know what the cage requirements are, specifically- you'll have to look it up), you can run either 180, or unlimited.

One guy in a modified CORVAIR ran 207 on Saturday. 400ci SBC, mid engine mounted, 930 transaxle, and a whole lotta HP got him there.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

My top speed, not average obviously, should be around 220 (600rwhp), higher if I bump the blower to an s-trim.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Well, there have only been a couple of cars in the 10 years, and 40+ events I've done that have run those kind of top speeds, so I hope you come down and get it done!

We clocked a 217 finish line speed, and a 196.7 average speed at the Silver State event a few years back.

S/C cars really don't like these types of extended runs, heat and belt failures are common. I can't think of a single S/C car that's finished in the Unlimited/Super Sport classes, for a long time. Keep that in mind when building- prep your car for a 30 minute continuous dyno pull, and you'll be in good shape!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:54 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

scottycards are you running a hans? also what are the yellow tethers on your helmet?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is lots of fun. My wife navigates for me and she is super competitive. Many say they wouldn't race with their wives but we make a good team.

You do have to let harsh words roll off your back. We (ok mostly I) yell at the other from time to time. I think the navigator has the hardes job - at least the way we do it. She has to keep up with where we are on the course, what turns are coming up, checking out time with a stopwatch, and calculating how fast/slow we are. I give her
Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

We disastered this year in the black Pantera. Before we even arrived, we stopped in Langtry at "Roy Bean's" for a potty stop and my wife slipped off the edge of the sidewalk and sprained both ankles! While she spent the next day at the Atrium Inn with ice packs, we missed the car show and parade while we fixed a leaking water tank on another Team Pantera car. Next day we only made it 20 miles out and our Pantera (the black one #174) went bang and the oil pressure dropped. We spent the day on top of the hill with the Ft.Stockton Fire truck, TNT rescue guys and the EMS truck. They treated us to Jalapeno poppers, Charcoaled pork-chops, corn on the cob, beans, shade and good ol' Texas hospitality while we watched everybody roar by. Only the race was lost but not the good time! We're trying to get up a team from TCA (Texas Corvette Assn.) for next year. That race is made for a Vette, as we've literally "done the poor Pantera to death!" One 3rd, One 2nd, and Five 1st in eight years. Our first DNF!

Last edited by Klondike; 04-28-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: add wins
Old 04-28-2009, 01:10 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nice job, damn that's close.

Looks like that would be a ton of fun but sure seems hard on the cars
Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottycards
One guy in a modified CORVAIR ran 207 on Saturday. 400ci SBC, mid engine mounted, 930 transaxle, and a whole lotta HP got him there.

Gives a whole new meaning to "unsafe at ANY speed!"

I've always liked the Corvair.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

did you guys see this one run?
Originally Posted by Jeffyvette
Dave,
I have 600rwhp in my C4 Open Road Car and the fastest I have hit is 206mph and that was about all she had.

Interesting enough this was the Dolly Varden straight about 30 miles west of Wendover at appox. the same altitude as the salt. This is also on pavement which has somewhere 25-30% less rolling resistance. I have a buddy offically radar clocked at 227mph and said he saw 232mph once again on pavement. He has 850rwhp. Now I will grant you that my wing will cost me some top speed, my buddy also has the same wing on his. Once again I am not trying to discourage you, but passing on info from some one who has been in simular shoes.
Jeff
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dvandentop
scottycards are you running a hans? also what are the yellow tethers on your helmet?
Not a HANS brand- it's a Hutchens. Full body harness- leg and shoulder loops, with clips to the helmet. Yellow cord is the quick release.

I run a 3" shoulder belt, which isn't particularly Hans-friendly, and my seats are the OEM seats, also a hinderance to the Hans- the belts tend to slip off, even though I run a sternum strap. For me, the Hutchens made more sense, and the price is better.

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
did you guys see this one run?
I've known Jeffy Vette for some years now. That's a fast car..........when it finishes. HA! (I know Jeff is reading this).

I'm pretty sure he'll be running it at the Nevada Open Road Challenge here in a couple of weeks on Hwy 318 out of Ely, NV.

Ely is a much faster road. Much faster. Big Bend is a lot more technical.

Originally Posted by L98Terror

Looks like that would be a ton of fun but sure seems hard on the cars
At 168mph, in my A6 C6, I see ~4700rpm in 5th. Across the finish line, oil at 235*, coolant at 190*, trans at 215*. Tires? HOT.

Car can run 165 all day long. The Unlimiteds are the machines that are really stressed. Corvettes can run the 150 class bone stock, and never miss a beat- piece of cake. Truly an amazing car.

Last edited by scottycards; 04-29-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
RusherRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there also..

Did you know the stop watch on the dash starts when you release it not push it in? I reviewed videos etc and thats the time difference.

I was off 1.5 seconds in the 130mph which was good for 7th car 625. They had something screwed up on the paper work so I show up as 122

I run ~5500 rpm in 5th at 145mph, my oil temps and coolant temps were fine. However my tranny temps not so much. Warning light kicked on both legs. ~280 deg. I need a trans cooler and an MN6 transmission. a C5 Z06 can not run in the 150 mph class stock

I will see some of you in arnold. I won't be heading to Ely.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Bend Open Road Race

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Bend Open Road Race