Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day with the C5Z06, blown away

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Jameel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First track day with the C5Z06, blown away

First track day with the C5Z06 (since I got it last summer). And I have to say I am sold on Corvette's, the thing was just so capable I was passing Porsche's left right and center.

What an amazing time.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:33 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jameel
First track day with the C5Z06 (since I got it last summer). And I have to say I am sold on Corvette's, the thing was just so capable I was passing Porsche's left right and center.

What an amazing time.
I have been tracking a 600 HP C6 Z06 for a couple of years now and I still miss tracking my stock C5 Z06's. As you said, there is not a more capable car for the money. Enjoy it!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Jameel
Racer

Originally Posted by mcar00
I have been tracking a 600 HP C6 Z06 for a couple of years now and I still miss tracking my stock C5 Z06's. As you said, there is not a more capable car for the money. Enjoy it!
Wow that speaks volumes for the C5Z06 if you miss it, while you have a 600HP C6Z06.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

What track did you run?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What an amazing time.
One more hooked on track driving!!!!

Randy
Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

welcome... have fun, but remember it's addictive- they don't call it the track 'crack pipe' for nothing!

Good thing I don't know of a rehab program for it. I don't want the fix!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an amazing time.

Welcome to the addiction. Street driving will never be the same again.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Jameel
Racer

Yup, I always knew I'd be hooked. I've already signed up for another track day with the BMW club this coming Monday.

There was a guy there with a Radical and when I got home I was actually trying to figure out how I can afford one. But, no can do.

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
What track did you run?
I ran a track up here in Canada, it's called Calabogie Motorsports Park or (CMP). It's about 1 hour away from the capital, Ottawa.

It's an awesome track very flowing, lot's of elevation changes, fairly easy on the brakes, smooth (suprising for a Canadian track) but then again it's only 3 years old.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
stano
Safety Car

That's an interesting comment. Care to say what you miss about your C5 vs. the C6 Z06?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stano
That's an interesting comment. Care to say what you miss about your C5 vs. the C6 Z06?

Well, I don't want to turn this into a C5 Z06 vs. C6 Z06 argument but here goes. I like the idea of taking what is now a ~$27K car and still lapping faster than many 6 figure sports cars. I thought that even though the tires were not as wide they had superior grip to the C6 Z06 run-flats. The gear ratios felt better to me on a road course. The suspension seemed much stiffer than than the C6 platform and I felt the car had less body roll. The brakes, while smaller, gave the same relative stopping power due to the lower horsepower levels. I guess I just feel that on the "track/street" scale the C5 Z06 leaned more toward the track side and the C6 Z06 was made a little softer for the masses. Again, not trying to stir anything up here and just my opinion. They are obviously both great cars.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Jameel
Racer

Well, I don't want to turn this into a C5 Z06 vs. C6 Z06 argument but here goes. I like the idea of taking what is now a ~$27K car and still lapping faster than many 6 figure sports cars. I thought that even though the tires were not as wide they had superior grip to the C6 Z06 run-flats. The gear ratios felt better to me on a road course. The suspension seemed much stiffer than than the C6 platform and I felt the car had less body roll. The brakes, while smaller, gave the same relative stopping power due to the lower horsepower levels. I guess I just feel that on the "track/street" scale the C5 Z06 leaned more toward the track side and the C6 Z06 was made a little softer for the masses. Again, not trying to stir anything up here and just my opinion. They are obviously both great cars.
That comment seems to recur a lot.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM
stano
Safety Car

Actually, I'm at a crossroad of continuing to race my '07 Z or look at a C5Z for track only. I owned a '04Z and liked it a lot. It's now in the Kingdom of Bahrain... I couldn't pass up the offer to sell

I appreciate your impressions of both cars and yes, you are right, they are both great cars as are all corvettes

Thanks and

Get notified of new replies

To First track day with the C5Z06, blown away

Quick Reply: First track day with the C5Z06, blown away