Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does THIS mean for racing in the US

Old 05-02-2009, 02:14 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does THIS mean for racing in the US

GM is closing up Pontiac. Lots of Pontiac engines and cars in Grand-Am. Does that mean their demise?
Old 05-02-2009, 02:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
GM is closing up Pontiac. Lots of Pontiac engines and cars in Grand-Am. Does that mean their demise?
nope. Those engines are just Pontiac badged Chevy LS6s

Pontiac was a big sponsor of GA. Now that may be dead soon.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:39 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Pontiac was a big sponsor of GA? Does make sense with all the commercials, but good lord, with idiocracy like that GM deserves what they are getting. The extra stupid decisions regarding racing may amount to more than necessary cuts in the racing departments future.

I'd love to see a dollar figure put on what they spent to develop the GTO through the current G6R's combined with advertising and paying driver. Makes me sick, and they just kept on racing them right into bankruptcy. Racing the Corvette is vital, anything else when you are struggling is waste.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Pontiac was a big sponsor of GA? Does make sense with all the commercials, but good lord, with idiocracy like that GM deserves what they are getting. The extra stupid decisions regarding racing may amount to more than necessary cuts in the racing departments future.

I'd love to see a dollar figure put on what they spent to develop the GTO through the current G6R's combined with advertising and paying driver. Makes me sick, and they just kept on racing them right into bankruptcy. Racing the Corvette is vital, anything else when you are struggling is waste.
going to race in France against yourself is just stupid and silly Is anyone racing against them in LeMans I missed not sure?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
going to race in France against yourself is just stupid and silly Is anyone racing against them in LeMans I missed not sure?
There are more than two GT1 machines on the entry list for Le Mans 2009. check planetlemans.com
Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Yet you chose to run you trap anyways....
Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

That is stupid, which is why they should have put the same effort in the Corvette's in Speed GT and have long ago planned a GT2 car. Even placing entries into Rolex series. The money blown on GT1 racing could have funded several other smaller entities that would have been successful. Combine that with beginning to build factory customer race cars and it would have been a great idea. Of course hind sight is 20/20, and no one knew Aston would pull out of GT1, but GM was far too slow to react to it, and the GXP's, CTSV's etc. have not been worth it when they could have been really building the corvette name instead of trying to make race cars out of any and everything.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully the G8 will come back as a Chevy (The new Impala SS?) and the Daytona Prototypes will have to change valve covers.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 AM
J Wagner
Intermediate

Aston Martin DBR9
Lamborghini Murcielago
Corvette C6.R (Private Team)
Saleen S7R

Originally Posted by heavychevy
That is stupid... the GXP's, CTSV's etc. have not been worth it when they could have been really building the corvette name instead of trying to make race cars out of any and everything.
I disagree about not being worth it. Take a look at any parking lot, wether it be a mall, Wal-Mart, church etc. or just drive down the road and count the Cadallic CTSs and Pontiac G Series (GTO, GXP, G5, G6, G8). Not to mention the Solstice. I think Pontiac was headed in the right direction as far as being a performance / Sport division. It looked like the Chevy brand was headed to be more of the "Family series" trying to add a little sportiness to the Malibu. Excluding the Vette. It stands on its own. Then leaving the Cady to the luxury line with a bit of sport in the CTS line. I think it was a over all good plan, but it was a little too late to get out from under bad decisions made long ago.
As far as building the Corvette name. I think it stands for itself. What else would you build it to?

Just my opinion.
JW

Last edited by J Wagner; 05-04-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: combine posts
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J Wagner
Aston Martin DBR9
Lamborghini Murcielago
Corvette C6.R (Private Team)
Saleen S7R
Larbre's Saleen S7R is on the reserve.

http://www.larbre-competition.com/
Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

In the dark days of the 1970's Corvette racing was all privateers, like todays Lou G or Danny Popp, I expect that as some doors close others will open and todays "privateers" with a bit more backing will step through into the "dark days of the 2010's" Road Racing may have a chance to capture bigger audiences as manufacturer dollars dry up...still sad...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
J Wagner
Intermediate

Yes it would be sad, but I like to see private teams.

JW

Get notified of new replies

To what does THIS mean for racing in the US

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what does THIS mean for racing in the US