Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lap Timers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
C6 Twin Turbo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lap Timers

I am looking for a lap timer to use in my car at the hpde events. What kinds are recommended? How is the ease of use? and can it be easiely taken out of one car and put in another?
Thanks
Old 05-03-2009, 06:14 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a HotLap that I sold with the Pro7. Kind of wish I hadn't. Super easy to use. Easy to move between cars (although I didn't). Hardest part is remembering to grab the beacon at the end of the day. I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a GPS based data acq this time around instead...
Old 05-03-2009, 07:24 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see any reason to buy a beacon-based lap timer when products like the Racelogic PerformanceBox are out there. It will give you lap times and so much more, without the hassle of having to set up a beacon.

There's also the Traqmate, and MaxQData has a new 20 Hz unit. The PBox has by far the best display and interface IMO, followed by the Traqmate and MaxQData (which has no built-in interface; you need a laptop).
Old 05-03-2009, 08:06 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I just bought the performance box by racelogic for $499. Its literally plug and play. Just stick it to the windshield and plug it into the cigarette lighter. It gives you tons of info in addition to accurate lap times. Plus it comes with software so when you get home you can analyze your complete track day. It maps out the track and shows your lap times, speeds, g-forces, etc. for the whole day. Here's a sample from the 1st time I used it at Thunderhill in Nor. Cal.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantB
The PBox has by far the best display and interface IMO, followed by the Traqmate and MaxQData (which has no built-in interface; you need a laptop).
I haven't tried the PBox, but I've been using the Traqmate for awhile. I have 2 cars wired for it, switching is simple. The unit allows me to see where I am on course within 3'. I can compare with others, try some different lines, check segment times, and then connect the dots. It shows speed, G's, etc. Neat deal, and one of the best mods you can buy...how else can you potentially pick up a few seconds at the track without turning a wrench. Certainly good bang for the buck.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
I just bought the performance box by racelogic for $499. Its literally plug and play. Just stick it to the windshield and plug it into the cigarette lighter. It gives you tons of info in addition to accurate lap times......
That looks like good data, but I'm curious if you can plug other inputs into it - such as RPM, oil pressure, brakes ON/OFF, throttle position, steering angle, etc., etc.?

TIA,

Bob
Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 PM
01Pewter
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
CI-X Auto-X Champ (street tires)
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner

I have the Ultra-Lap installed in my vehicle.
I made a bracket for the receiver, that uses the rear license plate screws for attachment.
http://www.xtracing.com/en/products.php
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

If you record in-car video you can always reference the timeline in Windows Movie Maker or other software....just a thought in case you already have some video recorded.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BEZ06
That looks like good data, but I'm curious if you can plug other inputs into it - such as RPM, oil pressure, brakes ON/OFF, throttle position, steering angle, etc., etc.?

TIA,

Bob
This does have an input for some other data, but according to racelogic website, if you want to log everything you mentioned you would need the VBox Mini. For me, the perf. box will do just what I need. I would like to learn how to overlay the data with video sometime.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
jpobrien
Instructor

Does the Pbox change the color of the lap diagram (your line) for acceleration and deceleration - so you can easily look at braking and throttle points?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jpobrien
Does the Pbox change the color of the lap diagram (your line) for acceleration and deceleration - so you can easily look at braking and throttle points?
No I don't think it changes the color on the map. On my graph I am only showing lateral g's and speed. You can also select longitudinal g's (acceleration/braking) and it will plot it on the graph. Then as you move your mouse cursor along the graph it will show your position on the track as well as your data at that point so you can see it.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
jpobrien
Instructor

That makes sense. I figured there had to be a way.

By the way, I noticed on their website that you can overlay your line into Google Earth. That's a cool feature...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 AM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have a Performance Box for sale if anyone is interested. Here is the link. Only used a few times, but I can't find the original box. All of the latest manuals and software are downloadable. I loved it, but had to go the hard wired route. I use a G2X now. PBox is much easier to use.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...mance-box.html
Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

This does have an input for some other data, but according to racelogic website, if you want to log everything you mentioned you would need the VBox Mini. For me, the perf. box will do just what I need. I would like to learn how to overlay the data with video sometime.
Take a look at:

http://www.trackvision.net/

It has a list of data-loggers on that page that their software will work with to integrate video and data, and Racelogic is listed.

So....I think if you have a video source that it should be easy to integrate it with the data from your p-box using the Track Vision software.

Bob
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

in for later reading
Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Lap Timers

Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

I gonna do this soon...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Take a look at:

http://www.trackvision.net/

It has a list of data-loggers on that page that their software will work with to integrate video and data, and Racelogic is listed.

So....I think if you have a video source that it should be easy to integrate it with the data from your p-box using the Track Vision software.

Bob
Thanks . I have seen that before, but I haven't had time to research it. One day I'll get that software so I can link the data on my videos. I've seen the Traqmate videos with the data overlay and that looks really nice.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

.....I've seen the Traqmate videos with the data overlay and that looks really nice.
Actually, the "dashboard" overlay on the video is just sort of a "cute" feature. It can be used for some analysis, but what you'll really use is the display on your computer like that screenshot in your post# 5.

IF you can synchronize your video and the display on your computer, THEN you'll have some real good analytical tools to help figure out what you're doing at various times and places on the track.

I know the Track Vision s/w will put the "dashboard" thingy on your video, but I don't know whether it totally synchs with the stuff from your data-logger.

In the case of the Traqmate, everything is totally integrated.

You can see above that you have way more than just the dashboard. When you hit the "play" or "stop" button it starts/stops both the video and the software so you can see from both data and video exactly what's going on. With just the data, sometimes you might not remember exactly why you were slow and off-line going into T7 on lap 4, but with the video right next to the data you can see that maybe you were behind another car and you were setting up to pass him coming out of the turn.

So....the Track Vision s/w may do something like that for the p-box, but with the Traqmate the video and data are completely and totally integrated and synchronized. Unfortunately it's kinda pricey!!

The dashboard on a video clip is great for putting a couple laps up on vimeo, youtube, or streetfire to show your family and friends, but when it's on your computer right next to the data display of the track with braking and acceleration zones and all the other stuff the data-logger dispalys, that's when you can really do some analysis!!

Bob

Click for a couple laps around the Daytona Rolex 24 course

Quick Reply: Lap Timers