Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing camber = change toe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Default changing camber = change toe?

If you change camber by shimming the upper control arm equal amounts front and rear, do you change the toe? If toe was set at zero to start?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:49 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it will make a drastic toe change it will also change the caster even if you shim evenly
Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You end up going in circles a lot. You need an alignment guy that will take his time.

When you adjust one it changes the other two. Also, if your ride height is off, or your tire pressures are off, your alignment will be off.

If you're really obsessive you'll want to be sitting in the seat as he does the alignment.

Who said this was easy?

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360
Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

it will NOT change castor, just toe. You have to rotate the top or bottom ball joing fore/aft to change castor, and shimming symmetrically doesn't.

measuring/adjusting toe is very easy on the c5/c6, just check out my DIY guide.

I find doing track alignments/corner balancing VERY easy, but I've been doing it for nearly 20 years!

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf
Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
it will NOT change castor, just toe. You have to rotate the top or bottom ball joing fore/aft to change castor, and shimming symmetrically doesn't.

measuring/adjusting toe is very easy on the c5/c6, just check out my DIY guide.

I find doing track alignments/corner balancing VERY easy, but I've been doing it for nearly 20 years!

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf
Sorry i missed that he was talking about the UPPER control arm. Moving the lower equal amounts Will change caster due to the legs on the control arm being different lengths. I have never had a reason to shim the upper.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 AM
klasik-69
Racer

Originally Posted by DALE C
Sorry i missed that he was talking about the UPPER control arm. Moving the lower equal amounts Will change caster due to the legs on the control arm being different lengths. I have never had a reason to shim the upper.
You're right. However, if you've installed the Camber Plate kit, you adjust the upper control arm with shims like the old GM cars used to be done. The camber kits lock in the bottom with a fixed plate. That is true on the front axle. The back axle is then adjusted with various offset plates on the LOWER control arm. Either way, any change in them affects the toe in-out.

Much credit to David Farmer's DIY alignment guide, a very practical and simple approach to a complicated adjustment.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've followed David's alignment guide and gotten some extra help from Gary Hoffman (HardBarUSA) since he is near me in NH. Once you figure it out it is pretty easy.

However, I've never done an alignment with the cams -- I put the camber kits on and use shims (washers) on the upper control arm.

Ride height affects camber and camber affects toe. So that is the order you have to set it up.

Get notified of new replies

To changing camber = change toe?

Quick Reply: changing camber = change toe?