Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aquax pics from the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aquax pics from the weekend

Aquax
This was my first time running the A6's in the rain It was truely a learning experience. I ended up "surfing" my way to a respectable finsh, but man the car was a handful

Old 05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
66IISS
Racer

At the last autocross we had it was raining. Out of 67 cars, I took somehwere around 30th, I'm usually top 20 out of 150+ cars. Hoosier wets are good, but I still got beat on RAW TIME by a front wheel drive Mazda 3. For the record, I had the third fastest rear-wheel drive time, the first was done by completely stock pontiac fiero. Rain events are not so much fun in a highly prepared, high power rear wheel drive car.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 66IISS
At the last autocross we had it was raining. Out of 67 cars, I took somehwere around 30th, I'm usually top 20 out of 150+ cars. Hoosier wets are good, but I still got beat on RAW TIME by a front wheel drive Mazda 3. For the record, I had the third fastest rear-wheel drive time, the first was done by completely stock pontiac fiero. Rain events are not so much fun in a highly prepared, high power rear wheel drive car.
When I did an event in my C6Z with bald front tires, I'd wished I'd taken my grandma's BMW 330Ci instead.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When it rains, or it's below 40 degrees, I run out of talent in the Z06!

Best advice I was ever give for the rain: Only accellerate in a straight line. Of course I went out and immediately tried to sneak onto the gas while coming around the turn. Fortunately there was a photographer there to capture my mistake:

Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 PM
66IISS
Racer

I learned a lot of lessons that day, specifically how to very smoothly apply gas, brakes, and steering. I have a 400 hp BSP corvette and I got beat by a frickin' Mazda 3...

It was interesting using the hoosier wets, they have a VERY fine line for grip. Once you cross the line, it's a good lesson in drifting, as my avatar from that weekend shows...

Either way, next time I may try my stock 98 BMW 528. I feel it will be more enjoyable, especially since it has heat and defrost.

Get notified of new replies

To Aquax pics from the weekend

Quick Reply: Aquax pics from the weekend