Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-Racing & the SCCA

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
muskaroxs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I-Racing & the SCCA

I just received an email from the SCCA that said you can purchase a one year membership for I-racing for $75.00 using your SCCA membership number.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got the same email.
I've been thinking about signing up for something to do in the winter time but I'm not too thrilled with the selection of cars/tracks they have to offer.

Their marketing/sales stuff is shady IMO, and that throws up a red flag for me.
At first glance it looks like they have a WHOLE bunch of tracks as shown here:

http://www.iracing.com/carsTracks/tracks.php?lc=2

but if you go to the bottom of the page it says "some tracks are still under construction", to see the tracks they really have available you have to go here:

http://www.iracing.com/membership/subscriptions.php

so they have a total of 3 cars and 7 tracks available... big woop. unless that is you want to pay extra for more tracks & cars. The problem with that is they don't or won't tell you how much extra you have to pay until you signup for their membership. "*May be purchased from the iRacing.com members' site after initial subscription." That, IMO, is shady!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I was wondering WTF that was
Old 05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been playing iRacing for about a month and a half now and I love it. Actually, most of the tracks that are listed there are playable. The 3 cars and 7 tracks that are available are the ones you get with your initial subscription. It allows you to compete in the rookie classes without getting more tracks and cars. If you look further down on that page where it lists all the available tracks and cars it tells you what exactly is available after you sign up which are:

Cars:
Star Mazda, Skip Barber Formula 2000, Late Model, Radical SR8, Silver Crown, SK Modified, Chevrolet Silverado, Impala SS, Riley Mk XX Daytona Prototype

Tracks:
Atlanta Motor Speedway, Barber Motorsports Park, Bristol Motor Speedway, Concord Motorsport Park, Daytona International Speedway, Homestead Miami Speedway, Infineon Raceway, Martinsville Speedway, The Milwaukee Mile, Phoenix International Raceway, Richmond International Raceway, Road America, Road Atlanta, Silverstone, Sebring International Raceway, Stafford Motor Speedway, Talladega Super Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, Toyota Speedway at Irwindale, USA International Speedway, Virginia International Raceway, Watkins Glen International

Season 2 of 2009 just started and I am competing in the Skip Barber, Spec Racer Ford, and Late model series meaning that I am practicing on Summit Point full course, Infineon Long course, and USA raceway to prepare for racing that I hope to do this week end. Last season I competed in the rookie classes which were the Solstice challenge and Legends.

The more popular series are split into divisions based on your safety rating and iRating which are calculated from your actions on track. Winning, loosing, spinning out, car contact are all factored in to either your safety rating or iRating. They also have clubs that are based on where your billing address is. Im in the Texas club.

Unlike other games, the regularly talk to the racers and take in feedback. Every couple of weeks new content gets released and everything gets updated.

$75 for a year is a good deal. Just be aware that there are some other costs that go into it like buying a steering wheel if you don't already have one. Also the tracks and cars you buy after you join range in price from $15-$25. The tracks are surveyed and laser scanned and the cars are based on real test data so they are about as accurate as it can get to driving the real thing.

If anyone has any questions, just let me know. If you do end up joining, use my email (jcstanley21@gmail.com) as a reference so I can get cool swag and iRacing dollars!

Last edited by WBHighwind; 05-07-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I-Racing & the SCCA

Quick Reply: I-Racing & the SCCA