Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kam-Lok or Latch? Advantages and Disadvan..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:01 AM
EmilT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kam-Lok or Latch? Advantages and Disadvan..

Seems to be some savings in going with a latch type harness. I am not trying to impress anyone. Am I missing some obvious advantages or disadvantages one way or the other?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-big-pita.html
Old 05-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

My latch-link works fine. Even with a HANS I still have no probelm getting it all put together.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used both and prefer the convenience of the cam lock. You just slide each belt in once, and they stay there. I have had belts fall off the latch style while trying to get the next one on. Not a huge deal but also not much of a price differance in the grand scheme of things.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I still like a latch........I can get in on just as fast, and pulling the lever is easier with gloves than rotating. Plus, every time I get into a students car with the cam lock, they are ALL different, getting situated takes entirely too long!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

I have instructed with both types. I prefer the cam over the latch for the aforementioned reasons. I find the cam a lot easier to hook up and even though the cams are "ALL different", I find them faster than the latch. Hope I never get as old as David
Old 05-09-2009, 01:27 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Simpson cam lock. Flip the lever down and they all come apart. Flip the lever up and each belt clamps in and won't fall out. Nothing to twist.

I do think the world could use more cowbell in it though.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:28 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In boat racing we used latch less chance of failure, they work fine. I have a cam in my car now. Some times I put the belts in the cam and they seem to be locked and then one pops off.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:21 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
I use the Simpson cam lock. Flip the lever down and they all come apart. Flip the lever up and each belt clamps in and won't fall out. Nothing to twist.
That is why I don't like the Simpson, I snagged it with my driving suit . The Teamtech rotating release cannot be snagged like the lever.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ghoffman
That is why I don't like the Simpson, I snagged it with my driving suit . The Teamtech rotating release cannot be snagged like the lever.
I have had bad luck myself with cam locks that use levers. When Autocrossing, and working hard through a series of elements, on occasion my hand would hit the lever and my harness would release. I switched to a rotating release style cam lock and have Never had an issue since.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:58 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd have to agree with the above. The team tech is THE way to go on harnesses. I use them on all my installs. The huge crotch pad is what first sold me on team tech. After using the jet pilot I wouldn't use anything else. Awesome harness, but just as important it is super easy to install because it is a six point, but only requires four mounts. Worth the price.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I'd have to agree with the above. The team tech is THE way to go on harnesses. I use them on all my installs. The huge crotch pad is what first sold me on team tech. After using the jet pilot I wouldn't use anything else. Awesome harness, but just as important it is super easy to install because it is a six point, but only requires four mounts. Worth the price.
nothing like protecting the jewels!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a team tech cam locks on both sides, and I really like them, I have used latch a couple of times in different cars and cam is alot easier.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

I've used Simpson Latch, Simpson Camlock, and G-Force Camlocks. I like the G-Force cam locks the best, never had a problem, and I've been running with them now for several years. I always check the cam trigger everytime before I connect just to make sure its ready to receive the belts and then pull on the belts once everything is connected to ensure I have a positive engagement.

A weird note about the Simpson Camlock. I actually had the sharp edges on the trigger scrape the underside of my forearms a few times.

Get notified of new replies

To Kam-Lok or Latch? Advantages and Disadvan..

Quick Reply: Kam-Lok or Latch? Advantages and Disadvan..