Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting the gas pedal

Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 PM
gordon04z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the gas pedal

2004 C5 Z06, stock pedals.

Well I'm slow sometimes but barefoot (ah sweet summer - I love her!) I figured out why heel and toe isn't working - my gas pedal is like 2-3" deeper than the brake. I bought the car used? I rotate my heel over and there's no pedal for it to blip unless I push my heel down and bend my foot to like 60 degree's which just isn't working. I need to get my gas pedal more in line with my brake. Is this adjustable, or am I looking at something after market? I'm a fairly small guy and with short legs. The brake and clutch are good, I just need to bring the gas pedal further "up". I don't think I can "shim" 3"'s? I've got a "heel and toe" pedal on the way from Elite, but I must adjust the depth position of it.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:01 AM
bluemagoo
Pro

Hey Gordon, There are quite a few threads regarding the "right" way to heel & toe. Check out these excellent "primers" from Ken Melgoza from Spring Mountain. Perhaps these can provide some answers for you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...roduction.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ving-tips.html
Old 05-09-2009, 08:00 PM
gordon04z06
Instructor

Thanks Jon. Great links. I think the Elite pedal will help a lot. And obviously I've come to see the benefit of driving shoes. I'm getting there. I did it a bunch today on the s2000 drive.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that 2-3" higher when nothing is standing on the brakes? If so, you probably are fine. I think most of us end up with the opposite problem, especially once things heat up and pads begin to wear.

I can't speak for the C6, but in the C5, my primary issue with heel-toe (the real way) is that I jamb my knee into the lower dash when I try to get enough rotation for my heel to reach the gas pedal. I have duck feet, 8 4E.

My problem was solved by installing a pedal extension to widen the gas pedal. Now I just need a bit of rotation to get the heel over the gas. If I feel lazy, or have sneakers on, my quackers are fat enough that I just roll my foot for the blip; however, on the track, the foot roll requires you to roll your foot away from the gas under hard braking - then flatten it out for the blip.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
I can't speak for the C6, but in the C5, my primary issue with heel-toe (the real way) is that I jamb my knee into the lower dash when I try to get enough rotation for my heel to reach the gas pedal. I have duck feet, 8 4E.
I'm 5'8" with the same shoe size. The C6 is even more cramped around the knees. The trick is to use the side of your foot, not the heel...

As for pedal height, once you get on track and you're actually braking hard I bet you find they line up near perfect...
Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

with the car OFF, push down the brake pedal all the way and try to bleep the gas. your gas pedal should be a little higher than fully engaged brake, but still within reach of the foot so you don't have to turn your feet around too much. in normal street driving you normally don't brake hard enough to reach a proper heel/toe pedal positions.

for me, the gas pedal needed ~3-4mm extention towards the brake to work perfectly, that's about all the adjustment it needed.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:14 PM
gordon04z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by longdaddy
with the car OFF, push down the brake pedal all the way and try to bleep the gas. your gas pedal should be a little higher than fully engaged brake, but still within reach of the foot so you don't have to turn your feet around too much. in normal street driving you normally don't brake hard enough to reach a proper heel/toe pedal positions.

for me, the gas pedal needed ~3-4mm extention towards the brake to work perfectly, that's about all the adjustment it needed.
I suspect it's also a small adj. I need. I'm a 9, but very narrow which is part of the problem. I just need to tweak the positions so my car works for me. Obviously I'll wait and install the new pedal and go from there.

What's amusing is when I first came to grassroots motorsports 5 years ago I was autocrossing in off road running shoes with vibram soles. I couldn't feel a damn thing.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I have Stoptechs and it's almost impossible to heel and toe on the street, 'cause if you push down on the brake pedel hard enough to get the correct geometry with the accelerator, the car just STOPS!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Take a look at the track pedal.

http://www.precisionfabricationcompo...m/products.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusting the gas pedal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjusting the gas pedal