Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bend Open Road Race - 1st Place & Hand Timer Award!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
0PaulaH
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Big Bend Open Road Race - 1st Place & Hand Timer Award!

The Annual Big Bend Open Road Race was held April 25th. http://www.bborr.com
118 miles (between Ft. Stockton, Tx and Sanderson, Tx), 58 miles each way on St. Hwy. 285. TXDOT closes the highway down for 12 hours for us. Total 158 cars. Speeds in increment of 5 mph from 85 mph to 160 mph (average speed must be maintained).

I raced in the 105 mph class. My son Tim is my co-driver. (this is our annual mom and son bonding weekend)..

We were equipped with 2 stop watches and a sunbeam Egg Timer. On the 1st leg, we messed up one stopwatch, so we were down to one. On the return, I messed up the remaining stopwatch which mean't we only had luck, a Good Friend's calculation and the Sunbeam Egg Timer.

We blew through the finish line at 121 mph (over 124mph is DQ) as the Egg Timer went off!

TARGET SPEED 105 MPH (67:25.714)

1st PLACE by .001 MPH (0.00.025 + SEC)

Winning 1st Place blew us away but the kicker was we WON the Hand Timer Award being the closest to the exact time using Stop-Watches/Egg Timer over 158 racers! Many have expensive computer programs, GPS's, etc!

We are still in shock, the Sunbeam Egg Timer was right on the money and a friends Average MPH calculation brought us in to win 1st place PLUS the hand-Timer Award!
If yall have ever wanted to do this race, once you do, you will become addicted! I've been doing it since 2000!

Here is a awesome video of the course with a '01 Z06 driving it at 145mph. About half way through the course gets tricky as it goes through the mountains with many twists and turns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvuXgTcr4Dc

The BBORR is more of a technical driver's challenge. There are 59 turns in the last 50 miles leading to Sanderson. They are composed of many elevation changes and are made up of all the types of turns to be found on any road course, anywhere. These turns make it a real challenge to meet your average class speed - in any Division. Please keep this in mind when you decide on your entry Division and Class.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Congrats!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Good job! My wife will get a laugh out of your lone, reliable timing device. Nice driving and congratulations. How about some photos from the event?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
0PaulaH
Former Vendor

Thank you! No photos yet. There are some of the event on the www.bborr.com web site. The best is to go for the 145 mph ride on the U-Tube link! Way too cool. Gets tricky about half way to the end... Awesome video.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:21 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good job You cut some good times.

We were slow .8 seconds (.034 mph) in the 130 mph class. 5th place in class, 31st overall, and 12th in handtimers. Tough field as always.

We use stopwatches and landmarks. The guys behind us had a laptop mounted in the trunk with some custom program. We were 0.009 seconds off their 3rd place finish.

Amazing how competitive open road racing is.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 PM
0PaulaH
Former Vendor

Hi Scott......

I'm tellin' ya there was some tough competition! There is one guy in our group that has a sophisticated computer system that talks to him. he is obscessed! Your time was close...

BTW, I think I will put my Egg Timer on eBay!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Dainbramage
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find it... is a navigator required or can you run the course alone?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:32 AM
0PaulaH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dainbramage
I couldn't find it... is a navigator required or can you run the course alone?
Not required, although, probably 90% have a Navigator. A navigator will tell you what is ahead and will keep track of your time with "time checks" at various locations along the way. I'm not too sure that those driving sole d better without a navigator. I will check that out with my results sheet and post my findings!

Get notified of new replies

To Big Bend Open Road Race - 1st Place & Hand Timer Award!

Quick Reply: Big Bend Open Road Race - 1st Place & Hand Timer Award!