Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you know GM bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:23 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Did you know GM bearings

Did you know that GM expressly says the rear wheel bearing on C5 is not compatible with the front? GM cautions on using the OE rear bearing on the front eventhough it fits. They claim some possible damage but I think the speed sensor is still the same. The SKF heavy duty bearing is just a splined bearing for use on front and rear.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this is correct. I specifically asked the guy at SKF about this, and he reassured me that all was well in using their hub front or rear.

Last edited by fhturner; 07-21-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:13 AM
coffey
Racer

Originally Posted by fhturner
Yes, this is correct. I specifically asked the guy at SKF about this, and he reassured me that all was well in used their hub front or rear.
Who did you talk to at SKF? I am trying to get a drawing with all the dimensions of that hub.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Did you know that GM expressly says the rear wheel bearing on C5 is not compatible with the front? GM cautions on using the OE rear bearing on the front eventhough it fits. They claim some possible damage but I think the speed sensor is still the same. The SKF heavy duty bearing is just a splined bearing for use on front and rear.
yes, 2 different bearings. The construction is different between the two. They do 2 different things
Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is good to know. I was under the (mistaken) understanding that the front bearing was just a version of the rear without the splined center...
Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
yes, 2 different bearings. The construction is different between the two. They do 2 different things
I replace my front bearing on my C5 with the SKF. And wanted to verify the speed sensors are the same? As after the change I started to have issues with ABS and active handling under track conditions. I was going to test them this weekend to see if I have a bad sensor. Can they be mixed like this or do all four have to be changed?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:10 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this the same issue on a C6 Z06, in that you shouldn't use a rear OEM bearing on the front?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SKFs interchangeability shouldnt be an issue. From what I know, you can use the SKF on all 4....

Its the GM bearings that should be used for front or rear specific.

Wheel speeds, AFAIK, are the same for C5s....
Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by coffey
Who did you talk to at SKF? I am trying to get a drawing with all the dimensions of that hub.
Guy's name is Ken Fegley. Lemme either try to get that for you, or check to see if it's okay to contact him directly (should be).

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
I replace my front bearing on my C5 with the SKF. And wanted to verify the speed sensors are the same? As after the change I started to have issues with ABS and active handling under track conditions.
Did you buy the aftermarket C5/C6 hub, or did you get ahold of the ZR-1 hub (GM part)? The ZR-1 hub has more spline teeth (which wouldn't matter on the front) and more importantly, uses an "active" wheel speed sensor. I don't know if the connector is the same, but if it is and you hooked that up instead, it could explain your issues.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:54 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

If you are getting funny readings from your SFK bearing read on: An SCCA T1 racer had a problem where the CEL would flash after new SKF's were put in. The problem was a bad new speed sensor in one of the new bearings. The speed sensor by his report should read just over 1000 ohms. I'm in the process of converting my C5Z to the new SKF bearings on all four corners and have verified that the OE GM front and rear bearing sensors are just over 1000 ohms. So if you are having issues CEL's the first thing is to check the resistance of the speed sensors.

The maker of the SKF bearing says this one bearing is for front and rear. Sorry if I caused any problems. I was actually trying to figure out if the front and the rear OE bearing where really any different other than the spline and basically an FYI to the community.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 PM
coffey
Racer

Guy's name is Ken Fegley. Lemme either try to get that for you, or check to see if it's okay to contact him directly (should be).
Thanks man

I emailed the part number to another guy on their website but haven't heard back since. So it would be great it you could get me in touch with your guy.

thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy the aftermarket C5/C6 hub, or did you get ahold of the ZR-1 hub (GM part)? The ZR-1 hub has more spline teeth (which wouldn't matter on the front) and more importantly, uses an "active" wheel speed sensor. I don't know if the connector is the same, but if it is and you hooked that up instead, it could explain your issues.
They were purchased from a forum vendor. I thought the SKF were all the same?
I did take a read on the originals and they were 1.083K and when turned as fast as I could by hand 500mv. The SKF read 1.175k and 1.081K and if they are turned I only get about 200mv but the manual said this is all with in spec. I have now checked all connections and will have to test on the track.

Last edited by Lan.Jet; 07-25-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Did you know GM bearings

Quick Reply: Did you know GM bearings