Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Track Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default C6Z Track Advice Needed

Guys,

I could use some advice. I HAVE searched but get dizzy trying to get answers to all my questions.

I've been running a modded C5 with R compound and race pads for years. I'm one of the faster guys in the in the advanced groups.

Just bought an 08 C6Z last week and trying to figure out what I want to do.... Sure would appreciate someone taking the time to answer some specific questions.....

1. If I start out with an "aggressive" street tire like the NT05 what brake pads would you suggest? Will the OEM make it through a 30 minute session?

2. Any aftermarket pad suggestions to use with the same type (i.e., NT05) street tires?

3. I'm guessing upgrade the fluid even with street tires?

4. I've read some suggest running R compound on four C5 Z06 rears all the way around. What size tires do you run on the C6Z, front and rear. I already have four 18 x 10 wheels I can use. Do you go 275 or 305 on the front and 315 on the rear or square?

5. Which race pads do you run with R compound? Single pad or padlets? I can't even figure out all the companies making pads for the C6Z calipers.

6. Are hoses from the ducts to spindle mounts needed as on the C5?

7. Hardbar harness bar a good choice? I like it in my C5.

8. Did most put cutouts in their seats for harnesses? If not, which harness do you run that goes "around" the seat?

Sure could use some help....

Rick

P.S. Also posted in the C6Z section as I'm not sure which would get more responses...
Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

My 2c below. I found that cooling down at the end of each session and driving around after leaving the track makes a huge difference vs parking it directly - which will boil the best of fluids.

Originally Posted by rikhek
Guys,

I could use some advice. I HAVE searched but get dizzy trying to get answers to all my questions.

I've been running a modded C5 with R compound and race pads for years. I'm one of the faster guys in the in the advanced groups.

Just bought an 08 C6Z last week and trying to figure out what I want to do.... Sure would appreciate someone taking the time to answer some specific questions.....

1. If I start out with an "aggressive" street tire like the NT05 what brake pads would you suggest? Will the OEM make it through a 30 minute session?
Mine didn't, others do - I boiled fluid and pads with Hoosiers and Invo's, but it depends on your driving style.

2. Any aftermarket pad suggestions to use with the same type (i.e., NT05) street tires?
- There are plenty to choose from, I have been happy with Cobalt XR1 and Carbotech XP10, but I use R6s primarily.

3. I'm guessing upgrade the fluid even with street tires?
Yes and pads, even street tires can overwhelm your stock pads - depending on driving style.

4. I've read some suggest running R compound on four C5 Z06 rears all the way around. What size tires do you run on the C6Z, front and rear. I already have four 18 x 10 wheels I can use. Do you go 275 or 305 on the front and 315 on the rear or square?
315x18 front and 345x18 rears on 11" and 13" CCWs.
- Others would need to comment on 4x10" use. Don't know how the C5Z rears work for C6Z offsets.

5. Which race pads do you run with R compound? Single pad or padlets? I can't even figure out all the companies making pads for the C6Z calipers.
I have tried both padletts and 1-piece pads, but not for the same compound - undecided on wear, but one piece gives more surface.
As mentioned above, I like Carbotech XP10s and Cobalt XR1s.

6. Are hoses from the ducts to spindle mounts needed as on the C5?
Yes

7. Hardbar harness bar a good choice? I like it in my C5.
That's what I use. I found it to limit my seat recline when driving on the street, so I added the offset pieces.

8. Did most put cutouts in their seats for harnesses? If not, which harness do you run that goes "around" the seat?
I use Teamtech Jetpilot from Hardbar and they connect on the upper chest area and it doesn't matter that they go arond the seat. The Jetpilot bar is like a jump harness and holds the lower body in place.
Still using stock seats without cutouts, but they don't hold the upper body so well. Looking for an upgrade in seats.

Hope this helps - good luck with your car
- You may also want to look at the Oil Starvation threads.

/Nik
Old 07-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by rikhek
Guys,

Rick

P.S. Also posted in the C6Z section as I'm not sure which would get more responses...
Many organizations are NOT allowing belts to go around the seats. It is becoming standard that hey MUST pass through the seat....
Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Stay with your Nittos for 10 or so events.

Colbalt XR2 or Hawk DTC-70s brake pads.

( some ppl love the carbotechs, some ppl hate them. Depends on your driving style )

DOT 4 brake fluid - Motal, SRF, Super Blue / GOLD, APRacing 600

Brake cooling ducts are a must

Get an aggressive street alignment - if you still drive on the public roads.

Untill you you get race seats and harnesses, go buy some rubber tool box liner and cut a piece to fit the bottom of your seat. Keeps you from slidding

Take it easy. The C6Z has so much power, it is very easy to over drive your abilities. Take it easy and learn the car with your skill level

and Have Lots of Fun
Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I'll chime in on a few things. You mention C5Z rears in particular, so I'll cover that.

I run DE's in full conservation mode. I run what I can get cheap or free. I have C5Z06 rims (free) already, and I can get used slicks to fit them for $75 (cheap). Is it ideal......? Absolutely not, but I never get passed, and they stick good enough for me, and more than good enough for the students that co-drive my car.

I've found Valvoline's synpower brake fluid good enough for most track usage.......if you boil it, you've probably ruined your pads as well. Even with aggressive pads, it holds up fine unless you are one of those drivers that likes to "jab" the brakes at every little bend/dip in the road to "settle" the nose. If you concentrate your braking zones to where you need them, this fluid holds up fine.

Race car=race seat + harness
DE car=stock seat with stock belts Yes I end up with bruised elbows and knees when I get home, but I can jump in and out of the car 10 times while the harness guys dick around with their belts.

Both carbotech and cobalt have good reputations on these cars........I tried DTC70's, and found they were shot in no time. The best pads I ran were a set that BHP made up, but they've gone out of business.

I run brake duct extensions........no spindle mounts, but I route the air directly to the same area. Unfortunately I have no idea if the OEM pickup under the nose provides any real airflow however. I eventually plan on attaching the front of the ducts to the nose of the car for direct feed, but in any case you should get as much air to the rotors as possible.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Track Advice Needed

Quick Reply: C6Z Track Advice Needed