Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of Penske coilovers on track at NHMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:41 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Video of Penske coilovers on track at NHMS

Just for grins, Gary Hoffman (Hardbar USA), Richard Strout (Leading Edge Motorsports) and I stuck a GoPro Hero cam on the inside of my right rear wheel well and video'd the shock working over the bumpy track at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. We overlaid the data from the MaxQ datalogger so you can see where the car is on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUFjrQIIKQ

This was the first track event I had since installing the Penske 8300s from Hardbar and Leading Edge Motorsports. Both Gary and Richard attended to help me dial in the settings. I'd pull into the NASCAR garages at NHMS, tell Richard and Gary what the car was doing, and they'd tell me what to do to the compression and rebound front and rear to change it. Just like the pros!

Can't imagine better support. Thanks again Gary & Richard!

Car handles way, way better than the F55 suspension. Of all the mods I made to the car, this setup should have been the first dollars I spent on the car.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Sounds like you had a blast Bert!

Can't wait to get mine mounted!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:06 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I had a blast, it was alot of fun, thanks for the jump. (My truck has 2 batteries and it did not want to start for some reason. It is on warranty, so I will let them figure it out).
BTW, what was the max temp the front caliper indicator got up to? I was amazed how Richard's suggestion of 3 clicks more rear rebound damping flattened the rear under heavy braking and made it really stable on the exit of 10, I could just mat it over the rough surface there. I think it is funny how many people think all road race circuits are all billiard tables, Loudon is almost a Moto-X track!
Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

We might try this video again on 1-Aug. I signed up to run with COMSCC so I'll get more laps at NHMS. Richard has some portable LED light sources that we might be able to illuminate the shock better as it is pretty badly backlit, even on a cloudy day like Thursday.

I posted a video from the open track session Thursday for those who want to see where the bumps are at NHMS. That video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvrsG6StKQ8

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that my datalogs from May CLEARLY show how the Penske's made me quicker. I am carrying 10mph more through turns 6, 9, and 11-12. The beautiful thing about it is that it didn't FEEL faster, the car was so much better behaved in every part of the corner. You can see how slow I am in these same turns in the Shock video when I am in traffic following someone.

Last edited by naschmitz; 07-25-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ghoffman
BTW, what was the max temp the front caliper indicator got up to?
My calipers got to the 410-430F range. Unfortunately, I don't know how to interpret that number. Is it good or bad?

By the way, I really liked how the Wilwood H pads held up against fade. I had a nice firm pedal all day.

Last edited by naschmitz; 07-25-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Video of Penske coilovers on track at NHMS

Quick Reply: Video of Penske coilovers on track at NHMS