Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher mileage C5 Z06 or lower mileage C5 with Z51 package?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 AM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Default Higher mileage C5 Z06 or lower mileage C5 with Z51 package?

I currently use my 04 Z16 to do some autocrossing in the NCCC, I feel the car is way to nice (8000 miles) to keep doing this. I have been looking for a replacement and want to spend around 15k. I have found a few higher mileage Z''s for 4-5k more. Would I be money ahead to purchase the Z or buy the lower mileage C5? I am competitive and received Rookie of the Year for 08.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Depends on the rules, I recall that NCCC is more restrictive than SCCA. The Z51 isn't going to be anywhere near as fast unless you could swap out springs and bars from the Z. Moreover the Z is going to be lighter and has wider wheels...

Bringing a Z51 coupe to run against a Z is like bringing a knife to a gunfight....

Last edited by Solofast; 07-26-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 AM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Originally Posted by Solofast
Depends on the rules, I recall that NCCC is more restrictiv than SCCA. The Z51 isn't going to be anywhere near as fast unless you could swap out springs and bars from the Z. Moreover the Z is going to be lighter and has wider wheels...

Bringing a Z51 coupe to run against a Z is like bringing a knife to a gunfight....
The NCCC has groups, the Z is in a different class than the C5 so I wouldn't be racing against the Z's.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Not to knock NCCC, but the level of competition there isn't as tough as it is in SCCA.

That is a simple fact, coming from somebody who has kicked you know what at the NCCC convention (two firsts in low speed and a first in high speed, as well as firsts in Group 1 low speed two years running and was faster than Group II in high speed one year in a Group I car) and never finished lower than second in any time that I went to convention.

If you want to go fast and really learn the sport, you need to run with the SCCA at the national level. If you want to do that you need the Z...
Old 07-26-2009, 06:07 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast

If you want to go fast and really learn the sport, you need to run with the SCCA at the national level. If you want to do that you need the Z...
Not so fast....

The SCCA has a proposal out to create a new "Tweener" class between SS and AS and has proposed to move the C5 non-Z06 into this new class. The only other car in the new class which may give the C5 Z51 a run for it's money is the Cayman S.

If you can hold off your purchase till after the new classing rulings then maybe that would be the more economical decision.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Not so fast....

The SCCA has a proposal out to create a new "Tweener" class between SS and AS and has proposed to move the C5 non-Z06 into this new class. The only other car in the new class which may give the C5 Z51 a run for it's money is the Cayman S.

If you can hold off your purchase till after the new classing rulings then maybe that would be the more economical decision.
I'm hoping the SCCA boots all the C5's out of SS.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Datawiz
I'm hoping the SCCA boots all the C5's out of SS.
Works for me...

I don't think that any Corvette has a chance in SS (my personal opinion and qualified as such) against the Elise and GT3, so a new class that would be populated with lesser Porsches and Corvettes would be well populated and would make sense. it would have plenty of cars, since there are a lot of C5's and a lot of 996's out there that would likely come out to run if there were a class like that...

Not likely to happen but we can all hope.

Get notified of new replies

To Higher mileage C5 Z06 or lower mileage C5 with Z51 package?

Quick Reply: Higher mileage C5 Z06 or lower mileage C5 with Z51 package?