Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lime Rock Bumper cars with Ferraris

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Lime Rock Bumper cars with Ferraris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lv73WqpU3A

This was an event with the Ferrari club. 3 cars got damaged and a few nice Ferraris got some grass stains, but noone got hurt.

The Ferrari crowd could not have been fond of the Vettes, and there were alot of them!

Another Z went into the tire wall later in the day and got messed up pretty good. This was after the guy's roof delaminated on the front straight 2 sessions earlier. I ran part of it over but was lucky enough not to sustain any damage.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Stevo92z28
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a lot of money playing around there...

Any pots get stirred up in the pits?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:12 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

c5z06 and what else rubbed into each other on the video?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:30 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Surprisingly there was nothing in the pits.

The driver in the front of the pack in the yellow Ferrari thought he got tapped in the rear by the guy in the yellow C4, which spun him around.

The black C5Z slammed on his brakes and got rear ended by the blue C5Z, which spun the black Z around and back into the yellow Ferrari.

Me and the red Ferrari ditched into the grass to avoid the mess.

There were some sick trains all day of 8 to 10 cars really ripping it up and staying close...I guess this is one result.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems a bit busy and a lot racier then I like to get at HPDEs.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

It seems as if they are allowing passing in the turns....is this common to a Ferrari event?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
That seems a bit busy and a lot racier then I like to get at HPDEs.
Open tack days can get very very dicey.

and some of the High Dollar car events, well the attitude might be I can afford X car, so I dont need not stinken instructor.

at a Viper Days event or 4 years ago, I went to find my student, a Viper Driver with a NEW Viper. ( Gawd it was gorgeous, Dark blue with two white stripes )

I went up to him to intruduce myself, ( My helmet was under my left arm and I have Vette flags on the chin bar ) He looked at me and said, "I want a Viper instructor, a professional Viper Racer as my instructor.' I said "OK Noooo problem, lets go find Courtney and get you set up."

On the guys third lap in his NEW VIPER with his PROFESSIONAL Viper Instructor he took is Viper into the armco and totaled it.

best damn day I ever had by NOT being in that car with THAT student.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ran with the Ferrari club ONCE! Way too many BIG ego's to have a safe track event. These are people that get on a track a couple times a year and think they are "advanced". As much as I like playing with them or (beating) them up, it's not worth the risk.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Ran with the Ferrari club ONCE! Way too many BIG ego's to have a safe track event. These are people that get on a track a couple times a year and think they are "advanced". As much as I like playing with them or (beating) them up, it's not worth the risk.
but damn they look good in their Momo Driving suits
Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Racer2B
Advanced

Good example of the DE championship Seriously, if you guys want to race, get an SCCA license and go race!

I've run a lot with the Ferrari club over the last 10 years and you just need to know which cars to run with. Many have 400hp more than they can handle, but there are a couple good cars/drivers in the group who have some clean fun.

There should never be 'dicing' at a DE...especially not at a track like LRP. With only a couple places with almost adequate runoff, someone is bound to hit something.

The Vettes are quick, and they are getting a lot of unexperienced drivers in trouble, just like the Ferrari's...problem is the Vettes are a lot more common now as the prices have come down.

I was in a 360ch at Pocono and got blown away on the back straight by a c6z06 with a couple bolt ons...but i passed him coming out of the infield onto the front straight. One of the reasons I hate going to Pocono, unless its the double infield config, thats not a bad setup.

I'd love to get a C6Z06 to toss around, but from what I have seen in the races (scca, nasa) it takes a lot of work to make them competitive.

Last edited by Racer2B; 07-27-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Open tack days can get very very dicey.

and some of the High Dollar car events, well the attitude might be I can afford X car, so I dont need not stinken instructor.

at a Viper Days event or 4 years ago, I went to find my student, a Viper Driver with a NEW Viper. ( Gawd it was gorgeous, Dark blue with two white stripes )

I went up to him to intruduce myself, ( My helmet was under my left arm and I have Vette flags on the chin bar ) He looked at me and said, "I want a Viper instructor, a professional Viper Racer as my instructor.' I said "OK Noooo problem, lets go find Courtney and get you set up."

On the guys third lap in his NEW VIPER with his PROFESSIONAL Viper Instructor he took is Viper into the armco and totaled it.

best damn day I ever had by NOT being in that car with THAT student.
With a few exceptions, Vipers seem to spend more time on the infield than on the track in NorCal. With that in mind, I usually give 'em all the road they want in my daily commute!

At Infineon a few weeks back, when asked if there was anything he wanted to focus on, I had a young guy in a Mustang Cobra - novice group - tell me basically, no, I think I have this track down.

We had a "Ferrari and Friends" day at Thunderhill a couple weeks back. Everyone was actually very well behaved. We kept our "oil and vinegar" separate by encouraging coaches not to mix it up with the special Ferrari run group. The Ferrari folk weren't uppity at all about mere mortals coaching them. Guy in a Murcielago did bring his own coach, but hey, if I had that kind of scratch I probably wouldn't settle for "pot luck" either! Everyone I came into contact with was quite pleasant. Then again, until a coach's demo ride session, they didn't know what I drive.

FM
Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

So much for the non-contact rule @ HPDE's!

Remind me not to run with those guys @ Lime Rock
Old 07-27-2009, 09:06 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Did the yellow C4 cause this?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
but damn they look good in their Momo Driving suits
I have a Momo Driving suit
Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by L98Terror
I have a Momo Driving suit
and you look

momo suits are great suits. Plus Momo gives a healthy discount to NASA members too
Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I had Curt Tucker at Teamtech make me a custom suit for the same money, with all the Hardbar logos, etc, and then I got married and put on 20 pounds. Now I wear jeans and a carbon-x jersey!

Now, back on point, who was driving what and what was the "discussion" later like?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:35 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Now, back on point, who was driving what and what was the "discussion" later like?
Seriously, I'll probably be sharing the track with these guys and want to know what happened.

Get notified of new replies

To Lime Rock Bumper cars with Ferraris

Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Did the yellow C4 cause this?
Was this open passing or point by only?

If it was open passing it's the yellow C4s fault it's his responsibilty to make a clean pass.

IMO it looks like the Yellow C4 was trying to go to the outside as the Ferrari was taking the inside line around that corner (when they go out of view) when the come back into view after contact it looks like the Ferrari ended up going wide and contact was made.

If the Ferrari driver gave a point by to the outside than it would be the Ferrari driver's fault for not holding the inside line.

BTW I got the Momo suit from Dean Martin because he couldn';t find anyone that could fit into it, it was cheaper than the Sparcos

Last edited by L98Terror; 07-27-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 369 Likes on 305 Posts

If you look back at the corner before the contact you can see the C4 and the train start to go around on the right. Watching the behavior of the cars starting into that corner you see the train directly behind the lead yellow Ferrari then after apex the train speeds up and swings to the inside and starts to pass on the right.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Wow, lots of questions.

No there was no passing in the corners allowed at all. Only on the straights with a point by. And no, at the beginning of the video, I did not point the C4 by, he just took it on the inside, followed by the blue C5. You can see how close it got.

Did the yellow C4 cause it? I don't know for sure, the video is a little grainy online so I really need to look at it on a big TV with my cam plugged in. From the motions of the cars, the lines each one took and the point that the Ferrari started to spin (nowhere near the apex of that turn, it looked a lot closer to the turn in) I would say its highly likely that the yellow C4 bumped him.

The C4 driver said "he got through clean" although I have my doubts.

There was no "incidents" in the pits afterward. I was standing between the two drivers and they didn't even look at each other. The Ferrari driver was actually driving a customer's car, not his own. He said he definitely got bumped.

I typically will drive in the Advanced group of any HPDE, but after lunch me and my buddy dropped down to intermediate. It was cleaner and more fun, and all the egos and legitimate race cars were in the Advanced group. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of really good drivers and a lot of really cool & fast race cars, but I just didn't need to be part of the carnage.

Quick Reply: Lime Rock Bumper cars with Ferraris