Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Suit repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Race Suit repair

OK, stupid me didn't watch what he was doing and broke the zipper off my race suit and took several teeth in the process. A whole new zipper needs to be sowed on...what are my options?

Can a local tailor do this? Is there a specific thread that needs to be used? Can it be saved cheaply?

The suite is an inexpenise G-Force 101, not a $700 Sparco.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM
imp zog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A tailor can do it, but they will need to use Nomex thread (easily ordered from places like Pegasus Auto Racing, it's around $10 for 100 yards). The bigger question is where to get a replacement zipper, as the material attached to it for sewing to the suit will likewise need to be Nomex as well. You might try emailing the folks at G-Force to get a zipper for it, maybe they will toss in some thread with it, especially if you make it sound like a quality issue...
Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CV Products charged me $75 to replace the zipper in my GA Sparco suit. They did a great job and even sewed on my patches for this year's requirements.

I would imagine they'd do it but not sure as I don't think CV carries G-Force products.

A zipper is definitely something you want done right (nomex everywhere...) because if it burns away, not only is it going to leave an ugly burn scar where it was, it compromises the entire suit if it fails.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Suit repair

Quick Reply: Race Suit repair