Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temps with Ron Davis EOC radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:49 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil temps with Ron Davis EOC radiator

At my first open track day with my 03 The Z06 my oil temps were around 311! Ambient temp that day were in the mid 80’s. The track was Spokane County Raceway; 2.5 miles in length with an 8/10 mile straightaway where the car easily sees over 150 MPH. And a second medium long strait where I saw 120 plus MPH. It took only 3 or 4 laps to get the oil temps 300 plus.

So I added the RD radiator with built in EOC.

My next track day was on a short track; Oregon Raceway Park, about 2.3 miles in length and 15 corners, this track had no long straits. Max I saw that day was about 105 MPH. We were running 30 minute secessions. There my oil temps were around 270, much improved! Ambient temps were mid 90s.

So, I’m back to my local track in Spokane this coming Friday, would anyone care to guess where my oil temps will be due to the longer straits?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The warning light comes on at 320.
what were you worried about ???
Old 08-01-2009, 11:15 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know what my oil temps were before I got my RD radiator/oil cooler but my water temps are much better. They used to go up to around 250+, and once I blew off a radiator hose. Now the car normally runs at 190 on the street, 210 on the track. I think my oil temps on the track are about 240-250 depending on air temp and track I'm running. So my guess would be about the same for you as me.

Dog
Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Originally Posted by larryfs
what were you worried about ???
I don’t recall stating I was worried about anything….
Old 08-02-2009, 05:41 PM
rgg16g
Racer

I wasn’t very clear with my question.

Should I expect higher oil temps when I return to my local track due to its longer straits. I have only run the EOC at one track and it had abnormally short straits, but I think my time spent at WOT is about the same or just slightly less.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rgg16g
I wasn’t very clear with my question.

Should I expect higher oil temps when I return to my local track due to its longer straits. I have only run the EOC at one track and it had abnormally short straits, but I think my time spent at WOT is about the same or just slightly less.
My car is a bit different. I have ran the short and long track at BIR on very simular weather conditions. I ran a tick higher temps on the short track. By about 5 degrees hotter water and a few on oil temps.

Let us know, but I would guess a tick less.

Randy
Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 AM
rgg16g
Racer

Good to hear the temps tend to stay constant, I will report back this weekend with my temps.

Later!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
My car is a bit different. I have ran the short and long track at BIR on very simular weather conditions. I ran a tick higher temps on the short track. By about 5 degrees hotter water and a few on oil temps.

Let us know, but I would guess a tick less.

Randy

I say 255-265 assuming same ambient.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by rgg16g
At my first open track day with my 03 The Z06 my oil temps were around 311! Ambient temp that day were in the mid 80’s. The track was Spokane County Raceway; 2.5 miles in length with an 8/10 mile straightaway where the car easily sees over 150 MPH. And a second medium long strait where I saw 120 plus MPH. It took only 3 or 4 laps to get the oil temps 300 plus.

So I added the RD radiator with built in EOC.

My next track day was on a short track; Oregon Raceway Park, about 2.3 miles in length and 15 corners, this track had no long straits. Max I saw that day was about 105 MPH. We were running 30 minute secessions. There my oil temps were around 270, much improved! Ambient temps were mid 90s.

So, I’m back to my local track in Spokane this coming Friday, would anyone care to guess where my oil temps will be due to the longer straits?
My oil temp runs about 265 at Watkins Glen using the older version of the DRM kit. I have the RD radiator with the EOC but my lines run from the oil filter location to a remote oil filter mounted just below the radiator before going to the cooler. I also have a thermostatic bypass valve that varies the amount of oil going through the cooler between 15% and 85% of flow. Not sure if it would run any cooler running the newer style where the cooler lines attach at the oil temp sensor location.

Bill
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure if it would run any cooler running the newer style where the cooler lines attach at the oil temp sensor location.
No difference from our tests. The only thing different is the amount of time to install and your kit was a tick more $$$ because of the extra hose, fittings and remote oil filter.

Randy
Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I've heard of oil pressure issues with the oil temp sensor mount. Thats why I run the remote filter setup.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mgarfias
I've heard of oil pressure issues with the oil temp sensor mount. Thats why I run the remote filter setup.
I think you heard that from some buddy selling something different.

Which happens........

Randy
Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Its been a while since my last track day that I talked about at the top of this thread. My question about where my oil temps would be at my local track with its longer straits has been answered. They were lower still. The max I saw this weekend was mid 250s. The course is http://spokanecountyraceway.com/ , its a 2.5 mile course with two long straits, my stock Z sees 150 and 130mph of the front/back straits, so its a pretty fast track. Air temps were mid 80's of Friday and 70s and cloudy on Saturday, about 10/20 less then my last track day. Oil temp seemed unaffected by the lower ambient on Saturday, and it was cloudy that day too. Water temps seemed to stay under 210 (never had that up on the digital display).

Ok, so there is my data from my RD (with EOC) radiator. On a side note I was running laps with another C5 Z06 running a similar pace with me (but he had a tune and cat backs) but this guy used a front mounted EOC fed from the front plate area (had the plate recess area removed). His temps seemed about 10/20 degrees lower than mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil temps with Ron Davis EOC radiator

Quick Reply: Oil temps with Ron Davis EOC radiator