Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock brakes and fluid in 08 Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:19 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Stock brakes and fluid in 08 Z

So I'm going to T-Hill (yay!) in two days. Its a really short notice for me and my car is completely stock, right down to the warped rotors. But I love that track soooooo much, I just can't help myself!

I have some new rotors to replace the warped ones, but I'm a bit nervous about the pads and fluid as I haven't ran like that before and I'm new to the car.

My experince level was a high intermediate with corvettes in 1999-2004 and I wasn't hard on brakes at that time.

However, its now 2009, tracking isn't like riding a bike and I haven't had much seat time so my confidence is down, my speed is down and I signed up for the beginners group with coach.

My question is, am I dumb to not change out the pads and fluid or does my experience level say that I'll be OK for a 1 day event with stock pads and fluid? I was thinking I could go in early, say after 15 minutes of each session.

The most I can do is swap out the fluid and change the rotors. I can't get pads in time nor do I have the cash for pads right now.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'd think you'd be ok. You'll recognize if they start to fade.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Stevo92z28
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll be fine on stock pads, at least i was. I would go ahead and swap some high temp DOT4 synthetic fluid in. Any kind of fresh brake fluid will suffice though.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I did my first 2 events in my Z with factory pads, fluid, rotors, tires... the first one was at Thunderhill... No problems
Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Old 08-11-2009, 06:01 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Typically the beginner group runs very slow so I'm sure you will be fine on stock pads and fluid. But if you have some good fluid I would bleed your brakes at least. You'll probably wish you signed up for intermediate after you get some confidence back in the morning . If so, just ask and they will probably move you up. If its with HOD, ask for Fred in the red C6 for a coach .
Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

I found someone to flush the brake fluid for me tomorrow. I think I'm going with Motul, I've never boiled fluid with that stuf so might as well stick with it

Yes, it is HOD. They were sold out for the beginners group and intermediate for Aug 14th at T-Hill. I called anyway as I have thursday and friday off work, my uncle lives in Redding and I'm dying to scare myself ****less with this new Z!

Anyway, it turns out there was a cancellation! Seems a bit pricy but from the videos I've seen, the included coaching and the **** poor track events that I've been to, I'm more than willing to pay that price for a company that runs a tight ship

I don't forsee any advanced drivers with race prepped cars in the beginners group trying to get more seat time

Thanks for the suggestion redtopz!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

enjoy yourself, HOD is a great group of people and they run a tight operation! I am going with them to Reno-Fernley on Labor day wkend.. can't wait!

Get notified of new replies

To Stock brakes and fluid in 08 Z

Quick Reply: Stock brakes and fluid in 08 Z