Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Default Rain tires?

We've gotten caught in the rain too much the last two seasons. I'm going to break down and buy a set of rain tires.

My question is, (assuming I don't get rained on again because I'll be prepared for it, Murphy's law being what it is) how long will tires last when not used? We go to a fair amount of events each year so they will spend a lot of time on the rack in the trailer to and from events. If it's more than a week between events I'd probably take them out and put them in the garage. The second set of 710s go in the house and there wouldn't be room for 8 tires and wheels inside so the wets would have to stay in the garage or trailer subject to the heat in FL.

Instead of Kumho or Hoosier wets would a street tire last longer sitting in the trailer? If so, which street tire is best in the wet?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Nitto NT-01 with full tread is good in the wet, as is the Toyo R888.

I haven't tracked them, but my autocross experience with each is really good.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
knyght4
Drifting

Originally Posted by jwt1603
We've gotten caught in the rain too much the last two seasons. I'm going to break down and buy a set of rain tires.

My question is, (assuming I don't get rained on again because I'll be prepared for it, Murphy's law being what it is) how long will tires last when not used? We go to a fair amount of events each year so they will spend a lot of time on the rack in the trailer to and from events. If it's more than a week between events I'd probably take them out and put them in the garage. The second set of 710s go in the house and there wouldn't be room for 8 tires and wheels inside so the wets would have to stay in the garage or trailer subject to the heat in FL.

Instead of Kumho or Hoosier wets would a street tire last longer sitting in the trailer? If so, which street tire is best in the wet?
I don't track my car, but I've run Nitto Invos in the rain with no issues. My father has NT05s and never has any issues either.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:57 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

my streets are hosed and I'm considering running some GY GS-D3's for streets/rains, as I've heard they do well in the wet (and have favorable rain reviews from mags/tire rack, etc)
Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Joe - I have the Nitto NT-05's - excellent choice as a rain tire/street tire - and the prices are extremely reasonable for a set
Old 08-18-2009, 02:51 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also wondering if a street tire would hold up better than a race tire to the static heat cycles incurred while sitting in the trailer.

Last edited by jwt1603; 08-18-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ERND IT
Joe - I have the Nitto NT-05's - excellent choice as a rain tire/street tire - and the prices are extremely reasonable for a set
Donna,

Are you going to be at Sanford or are you going to Defiance?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Old 08-18-2009, 08:06 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by jwt1603
Donna,

Are you going to be at Sanford or are you going to Defiance?
Joe
Unfortunately - can't make it to either of these events... will be watching the results tho!

I use my Nitto NT-05's as a street tire and rain tire with good results - for the little times you may need a dedicated rain tire, this option worked much better for me for the $$$... just my 2 cents
Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 AM
FredSM
Drifting

I can vouch for the R888s. They got me safely to Laguna in a downpour and still held their own on a damp but drying track this past winter. I'm trailering R6's now, but plan to get a set of R888s for fall/winter track duty.

FM

Get notified of new replies

To Rain tires?

Quick Reply: Rain tires?