Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“break-in” Heat cycle for V710s

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default “break-in” Heat cycle for V710s

Looking for alternate procedures

I have read the manufacture recommendations, but I don’t want to run them for one session and wait 1 day (which means one month) to use them again. I would like to hear how others have heat cycled their V710’s. Back when I ran VictOracers I would run them at highway speeds for about 45 minutes and then let them sit for a day or two and then start tracking them.

I’m not racing so if I lose some initial performance I can live with that, I’m mainly concerned with their longevity.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I ran 710s for 4 years and to be honest, I don't know that I saw much difference when I let them cure overnight vs just pounding on them right out of the box. After 4 or 5 heat cycles, they lost their competitive 'fine edge' and it was time to either replace them or sell the old ones. They are hard enough to where you can just run them as is, and you're not going to hurt the longevity much if any at all.

If you're just looking for longevity, then why not look at buying some used race rubber. The T1 guys (and others) are always selling their used race rubber (with 3-5 heat cycles) dirt cheap and they will last quite a while.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:25 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I drive my V710 tires full tilt brand new. I have tried heat cycled tires from tirerack and doing the heat cycle routine my self. There is no difference that I can notice in either performance or longevity doing it this way. I just run HPDE and track days so I am not looking for the last 10th of a second on a lap time.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgg16g

I have read the manufacture recommendations, but I don’t want to run them for one session and wait 1 day (which means one month) to use them again. I would like to hear how others have heat cycled their V710’s. Back when I ran VictOracers I would run them at highway speeds for about 45 minutes and then let them sit for a day or two and then start tracking them.

I’m not racing so if I lose some initial performance I can live with that, I’m mainly concerned with their longevity.
I'm in the same boat..... I thought I ordered HC R6 Hoosiers and they came in without being heat cycled Cost more to return than to use them as is. I thought about getting on the highway as well. What to do

Looking forward for more feed back.
Thanks
Gary
Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 AM
rgg16g
Racer

Originally Posted by wtknght1
If you're just looking for longevity, then why not look at buying some used race rubber. The T1 guys (and others) are always selling their used race rubber (with 3-5 heat cycles) dirt cheap and they will last quite a while.

Used heat cycled race tires, I might try this.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by rgg16g

I tried running mine on the highway and some twisty back roads but couldn't get them hot enough. Highest temp I recorded with my Tire Temp tool was 130 degrees.

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I ran 710s for 4 years and to be honest, I don't know that I saw much difference when I let them cure overnight vs just pounding on them right out of the box. After 4 or 5 heat cycles, they lost their competitive 'fine edge' and it was time to either replace them or sell the old ones. They are hard enough to where you can just run them as is, and you're not going to hurt the longevity much if any at all.

This is your best bet. I used to buy Chris's used 710s and get close to a whole season out of them.

Bill
Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yep. When I was running just DE events, I bought used stuff all the time.

I have a bunch of used Hoosier A6s (315 x 18) with between 4 and 7 heat cycles - $50 each. They are definitely faster than the 710s...but they do wear quicker.

Get notified of new replies

To “break-in” Heat cycle for V710s

Quick Reply: “break-in” Heat cycle for V710s