Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Individual Transmission Gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Individual Transmission Gears

Anyone know where I can get individual transmission gears? i.e MN6 3rd gear...

or even better, custom gears???

thx
Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably talk to rpm transmissions.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:56 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

G-Force transmissions makes different and stronger ratios. http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-56.asp
T56Ratios.pdf
Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rockland Standard gear www.rsgear.com

They'll have whatever you need
Old 08-20-2009, 08:21 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Rockland Standard gear www.rsgear.com

They'll have whatever you need
IIRC though, they dont and will not sell individual "race" gears. I was looking for gears a while back and they wanted 5K for their race tranny (not a bad deal really) but would not sell me the gears themselves.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
IIRC though, they dont and will not sell individual "race" gears. I was looking for gears a while back and they wanted 5K for their race tranny (not a bad deal really) but would not sell me the gears themselves.
Race gears are on a per case basis for whatever reason for individual gears, if you were looking for a whole gear set that should have been available (although costly) , but any T56 parts are available. Rockland is the largest T56 outlet in the nation. I just spoke with Mike Wienberg ( the big **** ) and he said the above is absolutley untrue.

I haven't done anything with gearing yet either......too busy breaking valvetain components
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Race gears are on a per case basis for whatever reason for individual gears, if you were looking for a whole gear set that should have been available (although costly) , but any T56 parts are available. Rockland is the largest T56 outlet in the nation. I just spoke with Mike Wienberg ( the big **** ) and he said the above is absolutley untrue.

I haven't done anything with gearing yet either......too busy breaking valvetain components
What? really? I spoke with a few people at PRI about this (when i had the money for it). I was seriously ready to pull the trigger and they gave me some BS about the race gears are custom machined to the case, and whatever (I'm no tranny guru). Thus I'd have to buy the entire tranny, not just the gears. That type of money i dont have, I'll have to go though my business cards to see who i talked to there.

Also, RSG does not even make the gears, they paid for someone else to do the tooling... its amazing what you learn at PRI.

Edit:
Danny, I'm talking about their close ratio gears, not stock ones. I'm 100% sure they'd sell you stock gears, or entire gear sets with no problems.

Last edited by spazegun2213; 08-20-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
throwit
Drifting

Thanks for all the feedback
Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 PM
throwit
Drifting

Just to let everyone know...

Spoke to G-Force...They dont sell individual gears, only gear sets...of which they only change the overdrive gears.

RS Gear has not gotten back to me yet.

RPM has and is willing to sell individual gears (standard ratios only, no custom).
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

To change ratios you can't just change individual gears, must replace individual gears and cluster gear to work........The custom 5th-6th gear seats can be used by themselves with 5th and 6th and the 5th-6th gear cluster......thats typically why they are not available individually. If you already have custom gears and need a single gear because of damage that is a different story.....
Old 08-20-2009, 03:21 PM
throwit
Drifting

To change ratios you can't just change individual gears, must replace individual gears and cluster gear to work........The custom 5th-6th gear seats can be used by themselves with 5th and 6th and the 5th-6th gear cluster......thats typically why they are not available individually. If you already have custom gears and need a single gear because of damage that is a different story.....
I dont intend on swapping the overdrives...in particular I want to swap the 2nd and 3rd gears out of an MN6 into an M12. It appears that this particular scenario is doable without much heartache.

Custom gearing is waaay to pricey.

I cant get my engine to spin as high as I would like, so I am forced to use 5th gear. With that in mind, the changes above, coupled with a 3:90 rear and 7k rpm, puts me right where I want to be.

BTW - It would be nice if you could come to the South East once in a while and run Road Atlanta, Barber, CMP, etc. It would be a real pleasure to have you out there...if you ever do, please let me know...

Last edited by throwit; 08-20-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Individual Transmission Gears

Quick Reply: Individual Transmission Gears