Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Events Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:45 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Default SCCA Events Questions-My Experience Posted! Video Added

Hello all, I am really wanting to go to the SCCA event at Memphis Motorsports Park this weekend, I want to take my C5 ZO6, it is pretty much stock, I want to do the Performance Driving Experience, I have no road race experience, I have ran a few autocrosses, and really would like to improve my skills in the low speed autocross events. Does anyone know what the maximum speed is if any? It looks like they will be using the drag strip for the straight away, and if there is no limit you could really be moving on that part of the track. I would appreciate any input anyone would like to offer with your past experiences in these kind of events. Thanks to all!

My weekend experience post #11!

I took a couple videos with my cell phone, My instructor was driving my C5 ZO6 he definitely taught me a thing or two!

Last edited by BERETTA; 08-30-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: update video added!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 AM
urtoslo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SCCA performance driving events at WDCR region don't have any maximum speed limit. Speeds at Summit Point can get to 140mph when you know what you're doing, even 120mph is possible on the first day in a Z06.

Ask the SCCA officials there what you can reasonably expect.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

many times, no matter which event you are going to, MAX speed is not as important as learning the lines, being smooth, relaxed, and seeing what is going on. That is more important then MAX speed. Work on the CORNERS and relax on the straights at first.

Speed will come, I would not worry about it. Just be smooth and consistent in your driving, and take car of your car.

Have fun and let us know how it went.

Good Luck

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-20-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I think he is more concerned about the top speeds achieved than anticipating going faster.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

If they do the same memphis layout as before (the 1.8 mile circuit), I didn't get to 5th down the straight, so my top end was around 150 or so. For a street Z06 with stock tires, I would think that around 130 would be reasonable...with practice.

Go to it bud...have a ball. Memphis is reasonably safe except for the dragstip starting areas - there are some walls to hit there, so just keep cool thru there and learn your car control.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 AM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the straight will *probably* be a passing zone, it's a good place if you don't want to see the top end to check up on your speed and let others by. The PDX programs are designed to stress driver education in a safe environment, and the very first rule to keep in mind is that if you aren't comfortable doing something, don't do it (within reason of course -- if the Instructor is yelling "BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES" there might be a good reason to listen...)

The best advice is come prepared to learn -- do what i takes to get a good night's sleep (If that means getting a hotel room nearby instead of making a 3AM drive, consider it). Eat right, HYDRATE, make sure the car is in top condition mechanically, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Be honest with your instructor and the officials - the more they know about you, the better they can help you learn. If you prefer someone who will talk to you constantly in the car (Or not) say so, so they can better pair you up with an instructor.

Finally, don't expect a PDX to do a whole lot for your low-speed AutoX skills - seat time is always good, and leads to better overall car control, but the strategies employed between the two sports can be pretty different. If your focus is really on "low speed' Solo2 style autocross, then I would strongly recommend looking into an Evolution or SoloPro school.

Don't be surprised if your instructor makes comments about having to unlearn "bad" habits from Autocross -- again, they lend themselves to different styles. Braking is a big one - in Solo, you are much more likely to be using more abrupt inputs on steering and brakes, while a track session will tend to emphasize smooth more. At the same time, Solo skills can carry over well - looking ahead,and listening/feeling to what the car is telling you.

Go out and have fun though!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Top speed by definition is what separates SOLOI (time trials) from SOLOII (autox)
Old 08-21-2009, 11:10 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone so much for all of your input, I really appreciate it very much! I have been going over the car real good the last two nights, replaced the rear brakes, changed the clutch fluid, and gave the car a good overall safety check. I really am looking forward to the event tomorrow, I will take everyones advice here, I want to learn as much as I can from the instructors and learn this car a little better, well off to get a goodnights sleep for now. I will let everyone know how everything goes this weekend....
Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I noticed you changed your clutch fluid, how about the brake fluid. Fresh brake fluid is very important with heavy braking. Have fun, know your limits.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:54 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by punz
I noticed you changed your clutch fluid, how about the brake fluid. Fresh brake fluid is very important with heavy braking. Have fun, know your limits.
You are exactly right, I took a look at it and it definitely needs changing, I just run out of time before the weekend, I am going to go ahead get some high temp synthetic while I am at it. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:58 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default My Thoughts After a 2 Day SCCA PDX

I just got back from the 2 day PDX at Memphis Motorsports Park, I had an absolutely great time! On the first day I took my '01 ZO6-it is stock, I really liked the instructor they put me with, he was over 60 years old and had raced semi professionally over the years. He suggested taking me out in his VW GTI first to show me the lines and familiarize me with the flagstands etc. What an eye opener! He scared me to death! I just could not believe a car is capable of what he put it through. We made three or four 20 minute sessions in my car, by the end of the day I could not believe how much better and smoother he had me driving the car and taking it closer to what these cars are capable of. On the straight away i finally hit a top speed of 138MPH. At first i was only getting to 125MPH. the 15mph increase was due to the fact that he had improved my driving skills in the turns leading into the straightaway, which obviously meant I was hitting the straight at a much higher speed then I was at first. The C5Z is a very impressive car even with no mods like mine. I think I pretty much toasted the brakes. They were stock pads, He had me braking very agressively, even at the end of the straight at 140mph i was getting on the brakes very very hard. Awesome day and experience!
Day two- since the brakes were pretty much toast on the C5Z, I am looking at my C6ZO6 and thinking should I or shouldn't I take it? After a few minutes of sole searching I said to myself why the hell not? So 6 am this morning i am headed back to Memphis, I am a little nervous about taking this car, 5,000 miles on it and in perfect shape it is totally stock as well, other than lowered on the factory bolts a little, stock tires etc. My instructor from Saturday had signed off for me Saturday so I could drive by myself today. There were more instructors than students this morning so I asked another instructor if he wanted to go out with me on the first session, it made me more comfortable. I did not want to get overconfident or too aggressive, after the first session I started getting the feel of the C6Z verses the C5Z. Well obviously the damn thing is quit a bit faster, handles better, stops better, and seems a little easier to drive to me, I know it should be it is much more refined, costs a lot more and with 120 more HP and better brakes etc. I reached 152mph in the straight with this car and I shifted to 5th a couple a times! Again I know this is not about top speed but I am just comparing the differences in the two Z's. I did loose this one once in the M's got two wheels in the grass, but the active handling helped me out. I am sorry this is so long of a post but I am really juiced up from the weekend. In conclusion, I just had a great weekend with both cars and learned so much about the cars, and I know i havent even scratched the surface yet. If anyone reading this has not tried a PDX or HPDE, I highly recommend you give it a try. You dont have to mod your car, and you dont have to reach the speeds that I did, I may be a little Maybe I should just go ahead and turn the C5Z into a track car!! Thanks for reading!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:01 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

HOOKED another one
Old 08-23-2009, 06:14 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

HOOKED another one
You got that right, Drag Racing has always been my favorite type of racing, but I think now I am converted! And by the way your earlier post is very accurate, he really teached me how to be so much smoother with the car and not jerk the steering wheel around so much. Just let the car carry itself more.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:07 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Welcome to the racing crack pipe!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Welcome to the racing crack pipe!!!
Your right! Its Monday night and I am still on a high! I cannot believe I waited till I was almost 50 years old to try this. I got a lot a ground to make up!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:22 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Glad all went well and you had a blast. It's great to use the car on the track, it's where it shines. The streets offer no justice. As for brake fluid ,synthetic should not be used with antilock systems. I would go with a good dot4, Motul 600 or ATE, both are reasonably priced.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:17 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by punz
Glad all went well and you had a blast. It's great to use the car on the track, it's where it shines. The streets offer no justice. As for brake fluid ,synthetic should not be used with antilock systems. I would go with a good dot4, Motul 600 or ATE, both are reasonably priced.
I thought autocross was fun till i tried this!

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Events Questions

Quick Reply: SCCA Events Questions