Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Capacity Not Trailer Capacity

Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Towing Capacity Not Trailer Capacity

Just trying to find out how close to your tow vehicle capacity do you tow? I have a trailer capable of hauling 10,000 lbs. but my tow vehicle is only good to tow 8000 lbs. My trailer weighs 4597 lbs. empty weight. That leaves only 3403 lbs. I can tow. With my C6 Z06 on the trailer that don't leave much left over for all my other stuff. So, I will be right at the max. if not slightly over what I can tow according to my tow vehicle owners manual. The only other option is get another tow vehicle. Keep in mine you also have to subtract any other weight you are hauling in the tow vehicle from the 8000 lb gross. How close to your max weight for your tow vehicle do you tow, for how long a haul and if you are over your tow vehicle capacity, how much over? I thought I would open up a discussion on all aspects of towing capacity and trailer capacity etc. What do you think?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I have a F-150 and it has a tow cap of 9500# i would say I'm right at that or a little over
Old 08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
Just trying to find out how close to your tow vehicle capacity do you tow? I have a trailer capable of hauling 10,000 lbs. but my tow vehicle is only good to tow 8000 lbs. My trailer weighs 4597 lbs. empty weight. That leaves only 3403 lbs. I can tow. With my C6 Z06 on the trailer that don't leave much left over for all my other stuff. So, I will be right at the max. if not slightly over what I can tow according to my tow vehicle owners manual. The only other option is get another tow vehicle. Keep in mine you also have to subtract any other weight you are hauling in the tow vehicle from the 8000 lb gross. How close to your max weight for your tow vehicle do you tow, for how long a haul and if you are over your tow vehicle capacity, how much over? I thought I would open up a discussion on all aspects of towing capacity and trailer capacity etc. What do you think?
You are sort of heading in the right direction with your thoughts. What you need is to find out the Gross Combined Weight Capability of your truck. Then get the whole rig weighed including everything and everybody that will be in the truck plus the completely loaded trailer. You probably have a little margin so can be a couple hundred pounds over, however, since that weight indicates an enclosed trailer you will not have any spare power to fight the aerodynamic load at highway speeds. Hills could be especially bad.

Why not get a lighter trailer? That way you use less fuel, don't have to trade a truck in this economy or don't ruin the truck by towing too heavy of a load.

Bill
Old 08-20-2009, 10:53 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I tow with a Chevy Silverado 1500 that has the tow package and capacity of 8500 LBS. I figure that the car, trailer, spares and misc junk is some where around 7000 LBS. The tow vehicle is adequate but just barely, especially when I am crossing the mountains. In your case, I would either find a much lighter trailer or substantially upgrade the tow vehicle. Being too near or over the limit is not a good thing !
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I tow with a Chevy Silverado 1500 that has the tow package and capacity of 8500 LBS.
I have a Silverado 1500HD, stronger springs and tow package and only has a 9000 lb capacity. and it just bearly tows my 24' enclosed with all the junk. short trips are OK. I went to Putnam a few years ago and it was ok. But 55-60 mph, max, and 45or less mph( 2nd gear ) in the mountains. 11.5 mpg towing any place I go.

2500 min seams to be what most dedicated track junkies recommend.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I tow with my F-150 I have a 28' enclosed with cabinets, diamond plate floor,car, gear and normally 4 extra sets of wheels and tires. I have to be pushing over 10,000# I normally set the cruise at about 75, get 8 MPG. When I went to Atlanta and took a short cut right over the top of a Mountain I had to us 2nd the way up the hill it struggled coming down more with the brakes.

We'll see how she holds up on the Tow to Utah!!!

2005 F-150 crew 70k miles most towing.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Car and trailer are right to max limit. I go approx 500 lbs past limit with cargo. No problems with my Grand Cherokee since 2000.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 PM
spectator2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
I think in the tow rating there is a small safety factor built in. When I tow my trailer its at the max capacity of my suburban.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Current trailer with car is around 7k, tow vehicle trailer rating (tag) is around 12k - works decently. Previous Truck with open trailer was 5k, tow rating arouund 10k. Over the last few trucks and trailers 50-70% of the trucks rating is a really comfortable level, it gives you some margin in braking, handling, cooling, and power. Every time that I have been above that, the reliability and stress level (human) have gone too high to enjoy towing long distances. I average around 6-8k mi. a year towing.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

8800lbs capacity on my Tahoe, open trailer weighs about 2300lbs iirc and the vette weighs around 3200, all my spares and everything that goes with me including me and 1 passenger is probably another 1000
Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

Truck is rated to 12,500. I pull about 7,500 to 8,000. I pulled with smaller trucks before but I'll never go back to one now that I have something designed to tow big loads.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

That's a pretty heavy trailer you have. My suggestion would be to trade to a lighter trailer if possible as mentioned above or get a 3/4 ton truck. I tow with a 1 ton Dodge 4x4 with the 5.9L cummins diesel. I owned the truck prior to getting into track cars and I have owned tow vehicles for over 20 years as a ranch/farm owner. I've had Chevy, Ford, and Dodge, both gas and diesel, half ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton I really have no brand preferences, I like them all. However, the Dodge cummins mega cab is the best tow vehicle I have ever owned. I tow over 20,000 lbs combined weight with it so it makes towing my vette seem like nothing is there. Once you tow with a diesel, you won't ever want a gas truck again. Its worth the peace of mind while towing and the mileage is great. Its also my daily driver .
Old 08-20-2009, 08:16 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I've got an 8.1L 2500 suburban with factory load leveling suspension and a 12,000lb tow cap and tow a steel trailer w/o sway control or weight distribution hitch, lots of gear, another set of tires and a 3200lb C5Z. I am well under max capacity and thats where I like it because
1) wind does not bother you
2) minimal sway
3) trailer does not drive you because tow vehicle is long wheelbased and has mass
4) going up the grapevine (6% grade) I am passing passenger cars!
5) bigger capacity often times comes with bigger brakes
6) exceeding the speed limit is not dicey

When you tow with overkill it is very easy regardless of conditions and your margin of safety from the idiot in a honda who cuts in front of you then slams on his brakes is much much greater.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:27 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear all the input on this topic.

Yes, my trailer is a heavy trailer but it's not just a car hauler. It's my home away from home. I can eat and sleep in it. It's Air Conditioned and heated. All I need away from home except plumbing.

I don't tow as much as some have said they tow. At most I would tow 500 to 1000 miles a year, some times not that much. So gas mileage not a big issue. I am at the limit, if not slightly over for my tow vehicle so if I did anything I would get another tow vehicle not a different and lighter trailer. No more than I tow I don't think it's too much wear and tear on the tow vehicle. The only thing I think about is safety. My tow vehicle is 10 years older than my trailer so if I wear it out towing now it's not that big a deal. In fact, it would be a good excuse to get another tow vehicle that is not up against the tow limits like my current tow vehicle. So I guess to sum up my situation, keep the trailer and wear out the tow truck. Just try to be safe doing it.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

A lighter trailer would probably be your best option, but towing capacities are rated bsaed on several factors...one of them being liability. No car company is going to rate a vehicle for the actual limit a vehicle can tow because it would leave them open for huge lawsuits, so they tend to be a little conservative in their ratings. How conservative, that's the 64K question.

If you are exceeding a towing capacity by 10% or less you will probably be OK (disclaimer: that is not a scientific ratio), but if you are exceeding by 20% or more, well you are taking a bigger risk than I would ever consider. Think about what happens when the trailer begins to swing should you get cut off by a driver or hit a patch of wet pavement or black ice? Your vehicle must be stout enough to keep the tail from waging the dog, so to speak. Those ratings are there for a reason but there is generally a little wiggle room due to the insurance/liability factor of the manufacturer.

What your car insurance company would do during an accident is anybody's guess.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:24 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Yukon Denali XL is rated at 7200lbs and with the car and trailer loaded I'd say I'm around 6000+ lbs. Tows great with no problems.

You need to make a decision. Either get a bigger rig, or a lighter trailer. I'd worry more about your ability to stop it than your top speed potential. I've had crazies pull in front of me and stop and I've nearly broken the steering wheel by pulling on it while I stood on the brakes--butt off the seat--trying to stop it. The more it weighs, the harder it is to stop.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

If you are using a weight dist hitch, you can really tow a LOT. Personally, I find that stability/safety isn't an issue if the trailer is loaded properly and I use a weight dist hitch, HOWEVER I rarely find that I have enough torque to make overloading worthwhile.

Get notified of new replies

To Towing Capacity Not Trailer Capacity

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing Capacity Not Trailer Capacity