Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need to try a new track

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default I Need to try a new track

What are some fast and technical tracks this side of the mississippi?

I love T-Hill, but I'd like to try a new track.

However, I'm not sure which ones exist that people have a great time on which are fast, but technical w/elevation changes.

I'm willing to drive couple days to get to a new track for a 2 dayer!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 PM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You may have already been there but Infineon/Sears Point is awesome.
Very technical, lots of elevation changes and a real challenge. Not a lot of runoff room is some places, though.

JRL
Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Me like

Thanks for that suggestion! What are some good clubs/companies to go with down there (besides speedventures )?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ wrong sort of elevation changes.

Infineon is a good track, but if you go off I'd say it's 50/50 that you'll be stopping very abruptly.

Have you tried Buttonwillow? The surface is a bit cruddy but that track's a riot. For
some reason at Thunderhill I find you need to be all formal and correct and proper
but at BW you just go nuts and fling it around and generally have a whale of a time.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the more technical tracks within a day/2 day drive from you:

Reno-Fernley - Trackmasters (I am not sure they still run days there), Hooked on Driving, T.E.A.M. Racing
Infineon - Trackmasters
ORP - ORPCA, Palatov

infineon and ORP don't really have high speed straights, Reno should be right up your alley, although the only upcoming event there I know of is L-day 2-day event with Hooked On Driving http://www.hookedondriving.com/morei...Product_ID=271
Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 PM
stano
Safety Car

Willow Springs. It's a fast track with good runoff. Some good events coming up. Spring Mountain has an event coming up soon as well.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Haven't tried any of those tracks, now I have a TODO list .

Reno-Fernley sounds good as they have a 2 dayer with Hooked on Driving (HOD) coming up soon! I like HOD!

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Reno-Fernley:
Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Laguna Seca
Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamin
Laguna Seca

A classic track that everyone should try. Same can be said for Infineon, which is next on my list. I think its the only local track I haven't been to yet (I wanted to save it for last so that by the time I went I would have more experience). T-hill, Buttonwillow, and Reno-Fernley are all fun as well.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Laguna Seca looks bad ***!

There are suggestions for Trackmasters. Is that the same thing as Trackmasters-Racing? They have an opening for Laguna Seca on the 14th of September!

http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/index.html

Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried Laguna with Trackmasters. Pretty solid group to run with!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 AM
vetteracer92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could travel to Utah and hit Miller Motorsports park, there is a couple of different configurations to try out.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Hope you can make it to Fernley week after next. FWIW, many coach regulars are going as drivers to maximize the fun. Should be a blast. Hope to see you there!

My favorite . . . Infineon . . . no question. Very demanding, but way fun. But as others have said, you need to take a tick off, 'cause goin' off usually doesn't end well. Had a student take me off TWICE in T8 ... he recovered well both times ... I'm still recovering!

HOD has a couple more Laguna dates this fall as well. Very fun place. Technically similar to THill, IMO, but a little less forgiving. THill is hard to beat in terms of fun AND safe. And don't forget the Hooked on Corvettes date too! Ya, I'm a shill for HOD, but truth is, I've never had an un-fun day at the track with any group!

BTW, glad you had a good time last week. Sorry I wasn't there for the fun!

FM
Old 08-21-2009, 12:36 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The High Pointe (Or something like that in CO looks like fun)

There is a new one in OR that I have heard a few things about it. The rumor is it's like a roller coaster.

Laguna, Wow, a must do track for any road racer.

Randy
Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 AM
errance
Pro

C5 Hardtop, seriously, ORP. It's less than 5 hours away for you and it's so much fun. Don't plan any far away trip unless you've already tried the gem in your backyard
Old 08-21-2009, 02:51 AM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll be Laguna on Sept 14th w/ Trackmasters, hope to see you there.

JRL
Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Thanks for the suggestions ! All seem like great places to go have fun!

Originally Posted by errance
C5 Hardtop, seriously, ORP. It's less than 5 hours away for you and it's so much fun. Don't plan any far away trip unless you've already tried the gem in your backyard
Your the first I've seen to have fun and ORP in the same sentence. WIth the few posts I've seen on the net, folks are bagging on one thing or another (wind, dust/dirt on track, no food, expensive) so I discounted it until it "matures".

I'm a big dude and need food and water at my disposal! Seperately, I don't want rock chips on my ride from the car in front of me runing over dirt .

However, hearing about a good club that guarantees coaching would for sure bend me the other way! I'm not down the the pro*** "coach sharing" thing. I've been ripped too many times by that.

If Pacific Raceways would not have put that damn jog in the front straight to avoid the VHT I'd move to Kent

Get notified of new replies

To I Need to try a new track

Old 08-21-2009, 04:17 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop

Your the first I've seen to have fun and ORP in the same sentence. WIth the few posts I've seen on the net, folks are bagging on one thing or another (wind, dust/dirt on track, no food, expensive) so I discounted it until it "matures".
sorry if that's how you interpreted my post in NW section. while I am a little sceptical about how the track is run and managed, it is one of the best roadcourses I have ever ran on. i have already done 3 days there and hope to get 2-3 more before the year is over.

as far as stuff messing up your paint, that will happen on any track, price of admission, if you will.

reno is pretty raw as far as amenities go as well, if you like real bathrooms, 5 meal lunch selection, etc, I would stick to t-hill, Laguna and Infineon.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 AM
rad_vet
Racer

There is a Palatov Motorsports track day the 24th of August, which I have signed up for. There were openings the last I heard. 3.5 hours of track time for $200.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM
errance
Pro

Clouds of dirt when the car in front of you puts a wheel out will happen anywhere. I've had to exit the track and stop on the side at Infineon because I couldn't see if there was someone spun out / stopped in a dust cloud and didn't want to drive through it blind.

I have complained a lot about the off-roading required to get to ORP. I got an email 2 days ago saying the paving had started and would be done by Monday.

Food and drinks? There's always 1-2 vendors on site. Their food is really not great so I'd consider it a last resort. I'm a big guy too and being French, I'm a very very picky eater. But when I'm having a blast a the track, I don't really care what I eat as long as I'm not starving. Last time I went, I bought a Subway sandwich at the same time as I filled up on gas in Biggs, right in front of my hotel. Put the sub in a cooler with ice from the hotel and a bunch of water bottles. No problem there.

Wind? Yeah, the wind can be a pain. Especially if you do the same moronic thing I did, which is not bring clothing for it. Having done 3 days there, I now know to bring shorts and sunscreen for the days with 90F and no wind, and jeans, and a wind jacket for the days with the crazy wind.

Expensive? No way! It's the cheapest track I ever ran! I didn't go there with Proformance obviously. Both Palatov and ORPCA had very very good prices for the amount of track time.

So, like longdaddy said, you'll hear us bitch about what's not perfect. ORP is like the iPhone. It so frickin awesome that the little things that keep it from being perfect will really irritate you But it's still the most fun track around. Most people I speak to feel that way.

See you there!

Quick Reply: I Need to try a new track