Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 brakes on C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C6 Z06 brakes on C5

Does anyone have the C6 Z06 brakes on the C5's? What's your experience with this set up?
$1900 for a complete bolt on package seems like a good alternative to the more expensive options (Wilwood, Stoptech, etc).

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-9...for-c5-c6.aspx
Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

after considering this option and doing research, I have found several people complaining about c6z calipers standing up to the track temperatures.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 PM
hamdog
Racer

Appreciate the input!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
after considering this option and doing research, I have found several people complaining about c6z calipers standing up to the track temperatures.
Huuhhh????

Maybe on a C5!

On my C6Z the stock calipers are part of a great brake system!!

I've got about 50 track sessions on my stock C6Z brakes, although I run DBA 4000 rotors on the track with either Hawk DTC-70/60 padlets or Carbotech XP12/10 padlets, and Motul RBF 600 fluid.

They've been through a lot of heat cycles with no problems at all. I've developed a lot of heat coming down from 160+ to about 75 through the Bus Stop and 175 to 55 for T1 into the infield at Daytona - and have a cracked rotor to show for it.

But the calipers are in great shape.

Maybe they heat up different on a C5!?!?

Bob
Old 08-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this setup on a C5 for about three years now and they are ok. Better than the stock brakes.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

here's an example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ith-video.html

while many of use do not use as much brake as racers do, if you do HPDEs for long enough, there is a good chance you will use more and more of your car's abilities as time goes by. why upgrade to a system that is only a halfway improvement towards a high quality caliper?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 PM
hamdog
Racer

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
I have had this setup on a C5 for about three years now and they are ok. Better than the stock brakes.
Two questions. Does the master cylinder need to be upgraded as well? Will they clear the OEM C5 Z06 wheels?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 PM
hamdog
Racer

Originally Posted by longdaddy
here's an example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ith-video.html

while many of use do not use as much brake as racers do, if you do HPDEs for long enough, there is a good chance you will use more and more of your car's abilities as time goes by. why upgrade to a system that is only a halfway improvement towards a high quality caliper?
Interesting! What set up have you decided on?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hamdog
Two questions. Does the master cylinder need to be upgraded as well? Will they clear the OEM C5 Z06 wheels?
The master cylinder is ok you need different brake lines as the C5 and C6 are not the same. I don't think the rims will work but I have never tried. I run the C6Z06 rims.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

These calipers have the most value as a paperweight on your desk.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If you're racing the car, get the best brakes you can buy, or your sponsor will go for.

For my HPDE purposes the C6Z brakes are fantastic!!

All you're doing when you stomp on the brakes is turning kinetic energy into heat energy. Brakes are going to get hot and the calipers will get kinda cosmetically challenged like in the Pfadt pics - any brakes.

If you're doing this:

then maybe you need a carbon-ceramic setup.

Bob
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ghoffman
These calipers have the most value as a paperweight on your desk.
He's right, you're better off with your stock calipers. Upgrade your stock brakes and if that isn't enough buy a real big brake kit. The Z06 brakes are not an upgrade nor are they a big brake kit (other than looks) IMHO. I would have loved to save money by purchasing the Z06 brakes but after reading about them they aren't worth investing any money in. Look at the last post in this thread for another similar opinion from a trusted source.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=81894

San
Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by hamdog
Interesting! What set up have you decided on?
i went with wilwood calipers in the front + 2piece DBA5000 rotors and kept the rears stock (for now). this allows me to use the 17" wheels in the front and go to a real 6 piston caliper that can use thicker pads with larger swept area. I have 2 sets of wheels and replacing them would be expensive - I would likely have gone to stoptech setup if I was willing to start replacing my wheels and tires.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:13 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
If you're racing the car, get the best brakes you can buy, or your sponsor will go for.

For my HPDE purposes the C6Z brakes are fantastic!!

All you're doing when you stomp on the brakes is turning kinetic energy into heat energy. Brakes are going to get hot and the calipers will get kinda cosmetically challenged like in the Pfadt pics - any brakes.

If you're doing this:

then maybe you need a carbon-ceramic setup.

Bob
Nope. You need either a good quality iron rotor (BEEF) with proper cooling, or a carbon/carbon setup. The carbon-ceramics won't live on the track, you'll sublimate out the carbon as CO2 (global warming woo!) and you'll be left with a cheese grater like ceramic rotor.

If you want to see real brake abuse goto your local circle track and watch the late model guys on a sat night.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:39 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Bear in mind the PFADT car was on the track for the first time and the Z06 brakes failed catastrophically. We're not talking about pad glaze or fluid boiling, but they literally broke where they were rubbing up against the rotor. Again, the Z06 brakes are not an "upgrade". Don't waste your money.

San
Old 08-22-2009, 01:52 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

to be fair, they are an upgrade in a sense that they allow more even application of force to the pad and the rotor, plus you are going to a bigger rotor, which is always good.

for the cars that see occasional track use with the driver that's not there to extract as much performance as possible, this is an inexpensive option worth considering (they also look sharp as far as the bling factor goes). I do not like upgrading the same part several times and I knew that I am maxing out OEM C5 system within the first few laps of the day, so this was not a viable option for me. PFADT's car experience is pretty scary - I am not sure too many of us have enough training to deal with a sudden caliper failure at track speeds or to detect the warning signs of such failure.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

OP's question is not how good the C6Z brakes are on a C6Z... but how good they would be on a car with 160 less HP, less suspension and less tire

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 brakes on C5

Old 08-22-2009, 12:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1900 don't waste your money. Tweak yours with a few mods or spand a bit more or get Wilwoods from LGM Do you have spindle brake ducts? That should be your first upgrade.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dreamin
OP's question is not how good the C6Z brakes are on a C6Z... but how good they would be on a car with 160 less HP, less suspension and less tire
the weight is about the same
Old 08-22-2009, 05:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Nope. You need either a good quality iron rotor (BEEF) with proper cooling, or a carbon/carbon setup. The carbon-ceramics won't live on the track, you'll sublimate out the carbon as CO2 (global warming woo!) and you'll be left with a cheese grater like ceramic rotor.

If you want to see real brake abuse goto your local circle track and watch the late model guys on a sat night.
Dayum!!! GM really screwed up putting those carbon ceramic brakes on the ZR1, and Ferrari too.

From the Edmunds site:
In what must be a very sweet moment for a longtime Corvette engineer, Juechter notes that the monster 15-inch Brembo carbon-ceramic rotors fitted as standard to the ZR1's rear wheels are the brakes originally designed for the front of Ferrari's 650-hp Enzo supercar. In the front of the ZR1, you'll find even larger 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic units.

Juechter says, "The only vehicle I know of that has these brakes as standard equipment is the 1,000-hp Bugatti Veyron." Then he adds with a grin, "Although I think you can get them as a $20,000 option on the Ferrari 599." We get the sense Juechter will be using these laugh lines many, many times in the near future.
From the GM site:
Vehicle Key Features
LS9 6.2L V8 Supercharged Engine with 638 hp Standard Standard
Dry-Sump Oil System Standard Standard
Magnetic Selective Ride Control Standard Standard
BremboŽ Carbon Ceramic Brakes Standard Standard
I'm not sure, but isn't carbon-carbon some kind of stuff used for space shuttle tiles? Maybe they'd make good brake material too.

Bob

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 brakes on C5