Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost brake booster in to turn 1 at Road America!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lost brake booster in to turn 1 at Road America!

Shiny side still up, thankfully!

I was running with the midwest shelby club a couple weeks back in light rain. Still getting up to mid 140s on the front straight, though since the track wasn't that bad during that session.

I hit the brakes like normal and about 2/3rds through my braking zone in to turn one, the pedel goes rock hard and the car pretty much completely stopped stopping. Fortunately it didn't go out any earlier otherwise would have made a visit to the sand trap. As it was I was able to hold it through the turn and limp back to the pits. My brother was riding with me and just commented "you took that one a little faster than normal." "Yea, we don't have any brakes!"

Anyway fortunately the only damage was dirty underwear and we were able to find a new booster at a local Advance Auto Parts so were up and running after missing just two sessions.

Other than that and a little more rain it was a fun time with a great bunch of guys even though they like Fords
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

damn heat soak and proxemity to the exhaust manifolds kills those things all the time (on the c4's).

My old C4 went through three brake boosters in 200k miles I had it.. the plastic just would crack..
Old 08-23-2009, 08:48 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not easy to find anymore, but the ZR1 had a steel brake booster. That is what we ran on our C4 racecars.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Never even thought about the ZR1 booster. I wonder if you can get them anymore!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Had somewhat of the same problem in the same spot on Friday with NW Shelby at RA only we ended up ten feet from the tires. I was the passenger and we are ok , Can't say the same for the car. Blue C5 #63

I was running the silver C5 #777
<----- <-----
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the links anymore but they started selling replacement C4 boosters in metal I believe people found them online but also in some part stores. A search of C4 Tech will probably turn it up, just FYI.

Glad to hear you kept it shiny side up, on a wet track too. Yeesh!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Sorry to hear Mark

Perhaps a heat shield between it and your dry sump oil tank?

Mark's ride BTW

Originally Posted by MarkBychowski
Finally!
Engine during assembly showing location of dry sump pump and drive mandrel (you can also see the tank pre-installation in the lower left:

Oil tank installed in factory battery location (battery is in the rear storage compartment):

Engine from driver's side:

Engine from passenger side:

Dry sump tank breather can and oil pump (it's down there somewhere):

Link to earlier thread with AFR head pics and flow numbers: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1775117

Link to earlier thread with Engine dyno numbers: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1990466

Get notified of new replies

To Lost brake booster in to turn 1 at Road America!

Quick Reply: Lost brake booster in to turn 1 at Road America!