Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Temp gauge pegs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Coolant Temp gauge pegs...

I started having a mysterious problem a while back, and it's really been a PITA. At various times the temp gauge will peg all the way to max and the digital readout will be all XXXX'x. It's startling when it occurs and forces me to immediately pull over.

It's happened during the 1st lap of a race, and at other time 1/2 way through the race. In either case, it's ended the race for me.

After pulling over and turning the engine off, then restarting the engine, the temp is ~210* or so. But by then everyone is 1/2 lap ahead and no possible way to catch them, so it ends the race.

Many times it doesn't do it, and all is good. There doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason as to why it occurs.

After finally getting tired of the problem, I put a new sensor in the head and it worked perfectly next time out.

But as one who likes suspenders and a belt, I installed an analog gauge, too. In case the regular gauge failed, I could use the analog to determine if it was really hot or just a failed gauge.

At Road Atlanta a couple of weeks ago, both gauges worked great for Sat's practice and qualifying. Come race time, everything was great for the 1st lap, then the stock gauge pegged with the XXXX's in the DIC. My eye's immediately went to the analog and it was steady at 220*. At least I completed the race knowing I wasn't burning up the motor.

Now, I'd like to get the stock gauge fixed, but since the problem is erratic, I can't make it repeat so we can diagnose the problem. The guys who work on the car a lot said it is probably something wrong in the gauge cluster in the dash.

Any of you guys have any ideas?

Last edited by Falcon; 08-25-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

They are right usually its a bad connection on the circuit board. best fix is a rebuilt cluster. but for a start try unpluging it and spraying the connections with contact cleaner (napa has it)
if that doesn't work its the cluster!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

With the analog guage installed, I'd call it problem solved.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Falcon,

I have had the exact same experience...i didn't get an analog gauge but when it comes back it's always back to normal. I too swapped out the sending unit and continue to have this issue on a temporary basis. My luck has been a little better with it as it hasn't occured in a couple of months.

Chuck
Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think both of your motors have been out to many times and there are circuit problems.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I think both of your motors have been out to many times and there are circuit problems.
Broken wires and bad (dirty) connectors
Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by Jason
With the analog guage installed, I'd call it problem solved.

Have you tried tapping (Turn it forward) the ignition key to reset the gauges, you can do that down the straights and it worked to reset my Active Handling/ABS/Traction control.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html

Sorry guys for the long read. But it's worth it. I ended up with Bill Curle on the phone one night to get rid of my problems with the dash.

Randy
Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror

Have you tried tapping (Turn it forward) the ignition key to reset the gauges, you can do that down the straights and it worked to reset my Active Handling/ABS/Traction control.
Yea, I've done that. I even turned the engine off down a long straight and restarted it, and it was still maxed. Seems to have to stay off a minute or so before it resets.

You're right, with the analog I'm home free, but I still like things to work as they should, although it only occurs infrequently. Must be the accountant in me comng out.

Thanks guys for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Temp gauge pegs...

Quick Reply: Coolant Temp gauge pegs...