Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z06 Trans & Diff. Any break in needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:06 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default New Z06 Trans & Diff. Any break in needed?

I just had installed a new C5 Z06 transmission and differential. I might be able to put on 250 miles before my next autocross. The engine is a stock Z06 motor with headers. The autocross has 9 practice laps then 3 race laps that count. I went just a couple of hundred miles on the motor before I started racing it. It runs great. Can I do that safely with the trans and diff? I really don't want to break anything for awhile.

thanks,
Steve
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I just had installed a new C5 Z06 transmission and differential. I might be able to put on 250 miles before my next autocross. The engine is a stock Z06 motor with headers. The autocross has 9 practice laps then 3 race laps that count. I went just a couple of hundred miles on the motor before I started racing it. It runs great. Can I do that safely with the trans and diff? I really don't want to break anything for awhile.

thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Don't know, but here's a bump for you. What fluids did you put in?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I think you'll be fine, drive it some if you can, but gears don't wear like bearing/ring surfaces do.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I (actualy Mark) put 16 miles on mine before doing TT at Rd Atl. Guess I should change that fluid soon.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, Dave's right...you'll be fine. I never had to swap a tranny with my C5, but I did put a diff in there. I put about 300 miles on it before really pounding on it hard. I had no issues. The whole C5 driveline is pretty bullet-proof and you can pound on it immediately if you need without any real worry. Drive hard!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Yep, Dave's right...you'll be fine. I never had to swap a tranny with my C5, but I did put a diff in there. I put about 300 miles on it before really pounding on it hard. I had no issues. The whole C5 driveline is pretty bullet-proof and you can pound on it immediately if you need without any real worry. Drive hard!
me I put two brand new diffs in my car and they both were bad in 300-400 miles with breakin baby driving on the street what luck huh?

Get notified of new replies

To New Z06 Trans & Diff. Any break in needed?

Quick Reply: New Z06 Trans & Diff. Any break in needed?