Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confessions of a track obsession

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confessions of a track obsession

Been two months since I tracked last, and I'm getting all giddy about the upcoming weekend at Road Atlanta with Chin.

Went with the NASA format last. Not nearly as much track time as the Chin format, but I learned a ton none the less. So much in fact that two months to prepare has been barely enough time. Oh yeah, I've made some serious changes on the machine. Before the last event I put on a FAST92 intake and 92mm TB. I tried to get Vengeance to tune me for the track, but they sent me down the road telling me in ambiguous terms, that my car was far enough out of tune that it would be a waste of Dyno time. I had just purchased EFILive with Wideband and actually logged a full session. I sent my log to the guys at EFILive and they made it crystal clear what was going on. AFR not following commanded, Knock Retard like crazy down the straights, Long Term Fuel Trims pegged out. Add to that the fact that I'm hitting 290f plus oil temp and 250+ water temp. Amazing the car didn't just blow. Even running all that against it, the Vette still easily hit 140+ before the hump at 9! Also cracked a rotor. Road Atlanta is way more demanding then the Roebling Road track I learned on. I had also tried putting 315's on my 9.5 rear wheels. Did it work? Well . . . kinda. Not a good idea though. Clearly from the melted rubber patch on my rears, I did not use at least 2 inches of those 315's. The 275's I had in the front were perfect for those wheels.

So, I've got some things to fix and 2 months to do it.

My engine was precariously close to blowing the way I had it and my tuner didn't think it was worth his time Guess I'm going to have to learn this tuning stuff . . . quickly. I'm pretty aggressive when it comes to learning technology, but I'm also a bit obstinate. I've always gotten real good at whatever I do, but sometimes bother others along the way. What are you going to do when looking for knowledge and you get opinions going two different ways? Pick your way and know that someone is going to think your stupid. Long, long tuning story made short. I ditched the FAST92 and 90mm TB and went back to stock. My tune is getting so solid now and I've done it myself. I will log at least one run each day just to verify, but I'm totally expecting the engine to be working easy and really don't think I'll have to worry about it at all. That's the goal of all the work, to be able to focus on the driver and know the car is right on.

Tune good, what about those high temps in Hotlanta? I had a huge thread going with Tom Dewitt and Randy (Doug Rippie) fueling the fires. I found a barely used Dewitts Radiator with the left side Engine Oil Cooler and the Lingenfelter Adapter kit with Braided hoses for 6 bills. Since I never could get Tom go cough up any DIY help, I just had my trusted friends at Andy's Muffler in Snellville put it in. I haven't had it to the track yet, but my tuning runs are pretty intense and in 90f plus weather. I'm all over 4-6k rpm and up to 120mph for 30 minutes at a time. I have not got my oil over 237 and seriously doubt I'll see 250 at the track. That's down from 290f plus . I also replaced my ac cooler as every rib had a pebble in it blocking air. Water temp is around 200-220 even during those tuning runs and the AC is so cold I can't hardly stand it sometimes. Great product Tom Dewitt. ( I'm sure the DRM one works well too ). So I'm fully expecting to be able to just drive and not worry about my engine.

Of course I bought a new rotor from Rockauto. Actually, bought 3. Can't lose a weekend of track if that happens again. What can be done about all that heat on the rotors? DRM brake duct kit should do the job. Looking at the instructions, looks like I'm going to have to take just about everything apart in there. Hub has to come off to get those spindle ducts mounted. Sooooo, while I'm in there maybe I should do some other stuff. Well, my car has the original shocks and those gators sometimes like to throw me around, so some bilstiens fit the bill. Having with for a ride in one of my instructors R8 and being totally shocked at how much smoother and quicker his car braked going into 10a, I've been thinking about my brakes. Purely from a safety standpoint, right guys. You need to be real confident you can slow down for that turn coming off the straight. I found some used LGStop 6 piston Wilwood's for half price. On they go.

Had to figure out a better solution for my track wheels. I don't think many guys know about this yet, but the previous gen Vette had some ZR1 wheels that come in 11" width with a 50mm offset so they mount up just fine to the C5 Vettes. Turns out the 335 width rubber is selling for way less than the 275 rubber. So instead of my 315's which were not using the whole patch, I'll be using the whole patch of 335's.

Can't wait to put it all to good use this weekend.

Right off the bat can't wait to see how those shocks take turn 3 when I put both right wheels on the gators. If that gets smooth, what a smile it will bring. That turn will not longer be a tough spot.

Hoping these new Wilwoods modulate smoother going into 10A so maybe I can go a little deeper into the braking zone there.

Turn 7 is my favorite place on the track. Hoping the 335's will bring a smile to my face there. ( Please don't rain )

Of course the straights aren't the main thing with all those crazy turns, but still, if that engine runs better, I might see 150mpg at the hump of 9. ( I don't really like that hump at 9 as the car lifts a bit )

If anybody wants to discuss any of the mods, feel free to drop by. Yellow Vette, black rear, #77.

So, am I the only one this into tracking cars?

Last edited by kwhiteside; 08-27-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Damn.....forgot about the CHIN event.
Have a safe weekend.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

See you there!

Bob
Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
I had also tried putting 315's on my 9.5 rear wheels. Did it work? Well . . . kinda. Not a good idea though. Clearly from the melted rubber patch on my rears, I did not use at least 2 inches of those 315's. The 275's I had in the front were perfect for those wheels.
2" = 50mm

315-50mm = 265mm......perfect for a 9.5"

Wheel width is more important than tire width
Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flycastinguy
See you there!

Bob
Was just looking at your C6. Those are interesting seats. Stockers come with Grommets? Are those side bolsters bigger than the C5 ones? Do you need a hardbar to mount to? And of course, why the gray pads with the yellow car?

I've been dreaming about seats for a long time. Since I discovered how tool box liner keeps you from moving around, I've settled for that. Those pads in yellow would be just enough to sport it up, but not too gaudy.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
So, am I the only one this into tracking cars?
Welcome to the racing crack pipe!

You are NOT alone, it is all most of us think about all day long!!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So how again did you know your car was out of tune? What was the motor doing on track that clued you to this? You didn't have EFIlive on there just for kicks...
Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
So how again did you know your car was out of tune? What was the motor doing on track that clued you to this? You didn't have EFIlive on there just for kicks...
My tuner had it on the dyno before the track and said it wasn't doing what it should and needed some attention. That was the first clue. Then I logged at the track with a wideband and EFILive. I really didn't notice anything except the high temps. It still ran like a beast. It was the log that monitored how out of whach things were.

Here's a shot of what an EFILive Log looks like from 2 months ago.

The second shot is more like I'm expecting things to run this weekend.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It sounds like you're all 'fired-up' but that can be a good thing. IMO it's best to keep racing as a passion and not let it become an obsession. There are other things in life (or so my wife tells me).

In Arizona we're blessed with year-round driving but the racing season (for the most part) goes on hiatus during the extreme heat of June, July and August. I use the down-time to make further modifications to the car but like you I start getting anxious to get on the track again. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:45 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Had a blast but productive track time was limited. Still working on getting my heel toe downshifting smooth. Started getting consistent again by end of Saturday. Everything worked great mechanically. Top oil temp was 255 and water temp below 220 all the time so I just stopped worrying about that stuff. Some sessions got a bit frustrating with the novice group. Half the laps you waiting to get by guys that have never been out on a track. Sunday morning I got black flagged twice and kicked off due to the sound ordinance. Another reason to not like running with the novice group as they assume you have the quiet cars and schedule you to go out during church time.

I went out with my instructor Fred Turner who also has a C5 vette, but with a 402 stroker in it. Wow, he really cooks at every part of the track and I couldn't believe how quick and smooth he downshifted. Something to aspire to.

They let me go out Blue after lunch and that was the session that made it all worth it. Really picked up smoothness and speed just came naturally. Also started pushing more full throttle from 1 to 6. A buddy timed my laps and said I had 1:50, 1:47 and 1:46. I've never even messed with times so don't even know if that is good. My instructor was doing 1:38 laps, so it can't be that good.

Then the rains came. Torrential downpours for an hour. Then it lightened up and I had to change my slicks for street tires in the rain, laying down on a every wet ground to see my jacking points. Let's just say that was not fun. Lost 3 sessions due to rain

I really missed the extra power I had with the FAST92. I used to hang with most the C6 Vettes. Noticable difference in how fast it gets to redline. I might just put it back on and try that tune all over again.

Thinking about Barber in Oct and Roebling road in Nov.

Oh, also thinking about racing seats with 5 point harness. I really need to relax and not grip so hard, but when you are sloshing around, grabbing the wheel is part of how you stay in control.

Tune was pretty solid and here is a dashboard of it.

Last edited by kwhiteside; 08-30-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Belts are a great addition. Get 6pt instead of 5pts, the boys will thank you.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 AM
offshore241
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm addicted as well. My wife told me to get a hobby...............she had no idea.

I can't sleep at night because I'm thinking about car, parts, shock set ups, etc. I love it, hooked for life

Last edited by offshore241; 08-31-2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Confessions of a track obsession

Quick Reply: Confessions of a track obsession